http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=22803

Guitarist - kannibul3

Drummer - kannibul3

Producer - kannibul3

Recording Engineer - kannibul3

Manager - kannibul3

Sponsors - various credit cards =/

Endorsements - an infinite supply of cat hair from the 4 kitties foundation

Anyhow, guitar is an Orange Rockerverb 100, into an Avatar 2x12 Closed-Back Vintage cab with G12H30s. SM57 and E609 on cab, two tracks...also some post-EQ was used to scoop out the mids more, and boost the low-end and treble - this cab isn't giving up either in spades - probably because the speakers are still pretty new...

Drums were recorded with a single SM57 5ft in front of the bass drum, about 6" off the floor pointed more or less towards the bass drum, but not as much towards the snare as much as the toms on the right...some post-recording EQ was done to bring the bass drum up in the mix - at least the lower end of the tone it produces - had plenty of everything else - probably got too much on teh bass drum, but, oh well...by the time I caught it I was nearly done.

Let me know what you think :D

• Members

Originally posted by Crosstalk

I really like the guitar tone, but it seems a tad muffled.

I use to record drums with a sm57 out front as well.

Sounds pretty good.

Thanks, I just got this cab earlier this past week, so I'm still working on the mic positioning :)

• Members

Pretty good. Needs some melodic detailing, just motivic stuff to break up the monotony. Also the crashes on the ups with the guitar need to be drum machine tight. They almost need to be inside the guitar sound. Those latencies are always a threat as you attempt to get around the kit. Something to be aware of anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by 1001gear

Pretty good. Needs some melodic detailing, just motivic stuff to break up the monotony. Also the crashes on the ups with the guitar need to be drum machine tight. They almost need to be inside the guitar sound. Those latencies are always a threat as you attempt to get around the kit. Something to be aware of anyway.

Actually, the guitar is drum-machine tight - I played the guitar part first with a midi drumbeat at 160... Then I went back and played to it on the drums - using a ride bell cranked up for the metronome. When I played that break-riff, I had no idea what I was going to do on drums for it, so I went with something simple (KISS method) - it wasn't perfect, but it works :)

It was a first for me recording myself playing drums to anything other than freestyle playing to gauge myself. First time ever recording to a metronome...and I never used the left bass drum pedal - lol...when I went through the first couple times, I was doing more of a military cadence on the main riff...

:D

• Members

Originally posted by mreeves

the guitar sounds pretty good, you might want to try a little delay. the only thing really coming through drum-wise are the snare and cymbals.

I'll take out the muffling I have in the bass drum - I have a felt-like blanket in there as well as the EMAD2/EQ3 heads -

• Members

Thats about as good as it gets for one mic, I have been using only 2 condensers and a bass mike lately, thats all you need son, I hate when people think you need like 50 mikes on friggin drum, I feel like i'm caged in, I like it when the drums bleed, did Philly Jo or Keltner have all those friggin mikes back in the day, neither did Charlie or Ringo, kudos to you my freind, bringin it back.:thu:

• Members

That sounds really good man :thu: :thu: The only slight tweak I would say...and it could just be from my computer speakers....is if you could get the bass drum to sound a little more crisp, it sounds kinda muffled. Other than that, I really like it

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul3

Actually, the guitar is drum-machine tight - I played the guitar part first with a midi drumbeat at 160... Then I went back and played to it on the drums - using a ride bell cranked up for the metronome. When I played that break-riff, I had no idea what I was going to do on drums for it, so I went with something simple (KISS method) - it wasn't perfect, but it works
:)

It was a first for me recording myself playing drums to anything other than freestyle playing to gauge myself. First time ever recording to a metronome...and I never used the left bass drum pedal - lol...when I went through the first couple times, I was doing more of a military cadence on the main riff...

Yeah well next time let the guitarist do the drum part. :D

I'd like to hear the marching mix too. Could have some zeppelinish potential. :thu:

• Members

Guitar sound was pretty good and the drums weren't bad for what you were working with. I also noticed a part where there were some timing issues, but I've never recorded myself playing everything, so don't mind me.

I thought it was really kick ass. Good cruising tune.

• Members

Originally posted by rockbeat

Guitar sound was pretty good and the drums weren't bad for what you were working with. I also noticed a part where there were some timing issues, but I've never recorded myself playing everything, so don't mind me.

I thought it was really kick ass. Good cruising tune.

The second break, where it's played the second time (it's doubled in length), mentally, I was back into the main riff's part, so I improvised - still was on time in the end though...just sounded sloppy.

Not bad, IMO, for just starting out again after 8 years of not playing drums - I've only been back in it for a month :D

I've never played to a metronome as a drummer, unless you count playing along to a CD. :D

• Members

Originally posted by 1001gear

Yeah well next time let the guitarist do the drum part.

I'd like to hear the marching mix too. Could have some zeppelinish potential.
:thu:

It'll have to wait until I heal up, but I may do that if I don't think of something better to do between now and then :D

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul3

The second break, where it's played the second time (it's doubled in length), mentally, I was back into the main riff's part, so I improvised - still was on time in the end though...just sounded sloppy.

Not bad, IMO, for just starting out again after 8 years of not playing drums - I've only been back in it for a month

I've never played to a metronome as a drummer, unless you count playing along to a CD.

Yeah, cool tune. My wife liked it, too. :)

Archived