Playing outside in the rain?

TheBoatCanDream

• Members

This is the kind of situation where a good low line kit comes in handy. It's nice to have a kicking around kit just for gigs like that.

(Or an acrylic kit, where water isn't as much of an issue).

Outside of that, bring a tarp to cover your drums when you not playing. I would also be willing to assume that you will have some sort of cover if it's raining. Otherwise, ask for one.

DB

• Members

Simplify the kit to only the basics that you will need to get by for the gig... (bass, snare, Hat and ride)

Consider a portable canopy (8 x 8 or, 10 X 10 and they even have a 10 x 20 at most Home depot's and lowes lumber) and trim it out with garland or something for the occasion...

Good luck...

• Members

Now's a good time to pull a hammy, or conjure up some other injury...."sorry guys, the schrapnel in my knee is acting up...."

If you MUST go, I'd keep 'em covered as long as possible. Also, try to keep your kick drum up off the floor of the float (you may end up in a puddle due to the weight of the kit). If your kit is covered, you're better off, as the plastic covering and plastic heads means that there isn't much wood exposed.

The key will be making sure everything is dry AFTERWARD. Bring towels (dry ones) and dry everything as you load it back into your car. Then when you get home, take everything out of their cases, and dry them again. If you have any doubt about the drums still being wet, take the heads and rims off, and dry them again. Then blow a fan over them overnight before you reassemble them.

Take apart your hardware (tubes out of tubes, etc.) and dry them inside and out, and let the insides air dry overnight.

Finally, give your pedals a good going over. You'll likely develop some squeaks if they get wet, so spray moving parts with WD-40 (displaces the water) and give them the whole drying routine. You may need to re-lube some parts.

The good news is, your cymbals are probably waterproof. :D

Much easier, IMHO, to bail on the gig. ;)

• Members

I played a gig in the driving snow at the finish line of the women's alpine slalom at the 2002 Olympics. Luckily, security begin as it was, the venue provided all the gear. I wasn't allowed to bring pedals, cymbals, or any kind of gear other than sticks. I was irritated, until I saw a quarter-inch pool of melted snow forming on the floor tom. Singers started getting zapped off the mics... Bad news. I was pretty glad those weren't my drums! Maybe you can wrap the in garbage bags, or something?

/w

• Members

I'd take mraia's advice. Don't do it.

Did they give you a contract? Or was it a verbal "rain or shine" agreement? In either case, if you hear the words "rain or shine" ask if they've made accommodations in case it does rain. If they don't, don't take the gig.

That'd be my advice anyway. No gig is worth ruining gear.

Aside from that, though, the request seems odd. They do realize that much of music is electric these days, yes? So if the bass player goes up in flames, do you have to keep playing?

• Members

I am also of the opinion that if possible, you should bow out.

However, if you can't, and there's no covering, the main area that's going to collect rain is the bottom head. The top bearing edge will be protected by the batter head, so that should be fairly safe, but the rain will get in between the shell and the rim of the reso head. Perhaps you could take the bottom heads off and then spread some Vaseline over your bottom bearing edge? That way, the water can't collect and get absorbed by the bearing edge.

I had my old Pearl Masters Custom kit rained on, and as soon as I got it home, I took off all the heads and wiped everything off, then used a blow dryer on low to dry up the remaining moisture. Seemed to work ok.

$0.02

• Members

Originally posted by sidereal

I'd take mraia's advice. Don't do it.

Did they give you a contract? Or was it a verbal "rain or shine" agreement? In either case, if you hear the words "rain or shine" ask if they've made accommodations in case it does rain. If they don't, don't take the gig.

That'd be my advice anyway. No gig is worth ruining gear.

Aside from that, though, the request seems odd. They do realize that much of music is electric these days, yes? So if the bass player goes up in flames, do you have to keep playing?

Jazz trio. Drums, cornet, trombone.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

hmm. seriously consider a cymbals only setup.

got a metal snare? bring that too.

If you're driving past your entire audience, what difference will it make?

Might make a difference for a call back.

My plan is to bring a minimalist kit - bass, snare, hats, ride, and two small toms. If the weather is crappy, I'll tell the guys I don't want to take my toms out of the van. I've seen pics of these guys playing with other drummers and they've worked with two-piece kits before.

• Members

Originally posted by TheBoatCanDream

Might make a difference for a call back.

My plan is to bring a minimalist kit - bass, snare, hats, ride, and two small toms. If the weather is crappy, I'll tell the guys I don't want to take my toms out of the van. I've seen pics of these guys playing with other drummers and they've worked with two-piece kits before.

i was thinking more victor delorenzo minimalist :D

Archived