Playing outside in the rain?

TheBoatCanDream

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

hmm. seriously consider a cymbals only setup.

got a metal snare? bring that too.

If you're driving past your entire audience, what difference will it make?

Best advice so far. Leave the toms and kick at home. If you have hi-hats, a snare, and a ride, you'll be able to keep a beat. An unmiced kick outside in the rain competing with parade noise won't carry worht a damn anyway. Play sitting down, and the majority of the crowd probably won't even have a clue that a bass drum SHOULD have been part of the setup.

The only music that actually works in a parade, IMHO, is a marching band. When you've got 100 people all playing together, you can generate enough volume to be heard at a distance. A small jazz trio probably will only be audible to the crowd within about a 30 yard stretch of the parade. Seeing as you'll probably cover that amount of ground in about 15-20 seconds, there would probably be whole stretches of parade watchers who wouldn't have heard your kick all day anyway.

Bottom line, this is a very different type of gig. Where you'd normally be playing in a stationary place for an audience, and you'd want everything to be perfect, when you're playing as you ride past an audience, "good enough" is totally acceptable, and avoiding problems takes higher precidence.

Hell, take a ride, hi-hats, and a metal snare. Think of it as a drumming challenge where you'll try to do your best on the absolute mimimum.

• Members

The show went well. Five hours of driving, fourty minutes of playing, and $100 in my pocket.

The rain actually stopped for the parade and started up again just as we were packing up our gear. I ended up taking just the bass, snare, hats and ride. I even had a few drum solos while the other guys emptied their spit valves.

• Members

Originally posted by aqualung211

$100....that's it? 5 hours....probably spent half a' that on gas.

Jesus, my dreams of being a gigging drummer have been crushed.

If you're into drumming for the cash, you've made a big error in judgement. Sure, you CAN make money in music, but if money is your goal, there are a lot easier and more efficient (and completely legal) ways to get it.

Archived