Sting is good.

aqualung211

• Members

Oh yeah, on his early 80s stuff, was mostly using Omar Hakim on drums. (Dream of the blue turtles days)

I remember seeing the "When you love somebody" video and saw Omar have his set on a big oriental area rug and thinking "is that an expensive area rug under his set?"

IS also when I remember seeing him, Weckyl and Gadd on Yamahas and thinking "maybe there's something to these Yamahas" But was back when Yamaha didn't really have an entry level kit and Stage Customs were for more for mid level drummers and had a mid level price to match.
The only place I had seen Yamaha sets in person then was at the big band/piano stores and the 5-piece Stage Customs were around $2500 list. I didn't think would come down or price match.

But yes, the Sting CDs I have are from 94'-96' and I don't really listen to his latest stuff. Last I remember was some book he wrote where he bragged about his "8hr. love making with his wife" was on Leno or Letterman a few years back.

• Members

Originally posted by mraia

Oy. dude, you know why that was said, and what it was in response to. Dont dredge that {censored} up, unless you want to rehash it.

Why take everything personally.

I dont make $250K a year, and certainly dont consider myself self impressed or smug.

Why am I explaining myself to you??????AAAARRRGGGGG!!!!!

We're talking about a celebrity who has chosen to have his every action judged. If he throws himself and his music out there, makes pronouncements about everything under the sun, of course he's going to be judged. I look upon him disfavorably. If you dont, fine.

I think hes a bore.

literally and figuratively.

Do you bite your thumb?

• Members

Originally posted by aqualung211

Stings solo career totally owns copeland.

Well, it was obvious from the Police records who was the superior songwriter.

Sting seems to have gotten old and soft these days. Last few albums have been uninspiring. I liked 10 Summoner's Tales, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Targ

Is it me, or were they really rushing on message in a bottle?

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking-really pushing. Sting is trying to lay back but Stu is way on top of the beat. By the way, great shirt/outfit Sting is wearing in that video.

I'll add my two cents. Sting is incredibly talented and no matter if you like his songs or not, you have to acknowledge the man has a ton of ability. Now having said that, his recent solo stuff just bores me. His recent songs seem to lack an urgency or a catchiness that his previous material contained. His does play with some great musicians though, so I still find him somewhat interesting to watch.

My wife, who also really likes James Taylor, is a big Sting fan and considers him to be very musically similar to Mr. Taylor. Nuff said.

• Members

I dunno....i thought Brand New Day (the song, not album) was catchy as {censored}.

I preferred depressed, dark and brooding sting.

happy sting songs go in my e-z listening wastebasket.

you're right, though, it's catchy. me still no likey.

• Members
Originally posted by T Hofmann

I preferred depressed, dark and brooding sting.

happy sting songs go in my e-z listening wastebasket.

you're right, though, it's catchy. me still no likey.

I never took it as "happy". It's a bit too upbeat to be easy listening, i've always though a' Kenny G as easy listening.:D

• Members

I dunno....i thought Brand New Day (the song, not album) was catchy as {censored}.

Okay, I'll give you that one. Everything else puts me to sleep though. As I said previously though, he ALWAYS plays with great musicians, so at least I have that to listen to.

• Members

I found 2112 and anolser (sorry) anoTHer disc with Tom Sawyer on it for cheap so I gave them a shot. Not that I'm familiar enough with the material at this stage mind you, but so far, not happening. Aside from the possible 'progressive chic' of this band I can't see anything to get interested in. It doesn't even come off as good rock. I'll leave it at that until I can formulatte some clearer thoughts about it.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

Sting seems to have gotten old and soft these days.

...like a lot of his fans from when he was with the Police who are the same age as him.

Fact is, he's probably too busy having tantric sex with his wife and their numerous partners to care too much about what we on a drum forum think anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by RockBass

...like a lot of his fans from when he was with the Police who are the same age as him.

happens to everybody, I guess. wait a minute, the Stones still rock...

And nobody here gives a {censored} what Sting thinks, either, so I guess we're even.

Archived