Remo Powerstroke 3?

mparsons

• Members

depends on the drum. My cheapy tama rockstar steel shell drum is a little too ringy with an ambassador on it. The PS3 is perfect for it.

At the same time, my custom maple snare sounds too dead with any extra muffling.

What kind of drum you want to try it on?

• Members

Agreed.

Originally posted by MattACaster

PS3 bass drum heads
:love:

But PS3 tom/snare heads when playing jazz??

:(:(:(

They don't work. Too dead. In fact, I don't even like 'em for rock; those drums sound so much better when tuned properly and allowed to sing freely.

• Members

I think the ps3 is a great snare head. I just think it sounds fine. Now for the toms, not really my thing. It deadens the sound of the toms but sounds fine to me on the snare drum. if you dont like the ps3 for snare drum the you can go with a coated ambassaodr for a more open sound or maybe even fidget around with the remo sound dot snare drum head(that is my favorite).

• Members

Never tried a PS3. My current favourite snare head is the Evans 1-ply Genera Snare. Regular, not dry. Has a very lite ring around the perimeter that just takes the edge off the sound. For a really ringy drum, the dry version might be better, but the regular sounds best on my Artwood. I also like the fact that the mylar is white under the coating, so wear isn't so obvious.

Peace - bodinski

• Members

I don't like the PS3 for kicks but, yeah, on a snare, it's my go to head now. Even though Remo's coating has been inconsistent, I prefer the tone of it to Aquarian's Focus-X which seems just a tad more dry and dead. It really is a nice compromise head, IMO. Keeps just a touch of ping, but a breeze to tune.

• Members

Originally posted by ulank

I don't like the PS3 for kicks but, yeah, on a snare, it's my go to head now. Even though Remo's coating has been inconsistent, I prefer the tone of it to Aquarian's Focus-X which seems just a tad more dry and dead. It really is a nice compromise head, IMO. Keeps just a touch of ping, but a breeze to tune.

I also tried the Focus-X & found it very similar to the Genera. However, the first one I got shed it's coating in about 10 minutes. I contacted Aquarian & spoke to Roy Burns. He acknowledged a problem & sent me a replacement. The coating on that one lasted for, maybe a week? Don't exactly recall.. Anyway, the drum sounded good with the Focus-X, & your mileage may vary.

bodinski

• Members

Originally posted by bodinski

I also tried the Focus-X & found it very similar to the Genera. However, the first one I got shed it's coating in about 10 minutes. I contacted Aquarian & spoke to Roy Burns. He acknowledged a problem & sent me a replacement. The coating on that one lasted for, maybe a week? Don't exactly recall.. Anyway, the drum sounded good with the Focus-X, & your mileage may vary.

bodinski

See, that's what happened several times with my PS3. This last one I got is a-ok. I couldn't make the Aquarian coating come off now matter what I did. :freak:

• Members

I have a PS3 coated on my Pearl MMX 1465SD (6x14) and find that in close quarters like a studio, it provides a great crack and plenty enough ring at most all volumes.

The coating on the first one I got with the drum seem to last for like forever. But I've noticed that that coating on the last one I purchased seemed to start coming off right away.

Hopefully the coating on next one will last longer. I haven't found anything I like better than the PS3 on the large snare. I have a coated Ambassidor on a 5 1/2x14 Birch snare when I want to "bruford" out a tune. lol.

-bruce

Archived