Mechanical Duplication License Vs. Online Distribution

• Members

So...I know if you want to cover something and put in on a CD/Cassette/etc, you have to pay royalties, usually by going through Harry Fox or something and it's about 4 cents per covered song per disc.

Now that's all well and good, but what if you have your album and pay your mechanical duplication license, and you submit that album somewhere that distributes digital copies online (iTunes, Napster, etc.). How does that work? Do you pay something up front? Do you get a bill for every copy of the cover sold, or does it go straight to the owner of the song?

I don't expect anyone here to have all the answers, but I'm not even sure what I should be looking for or where to get the answers.

Any help would be great.

• Members

Well, the biggest thing I learned was that the rate for a download is the same as a mechanical reproduction rate. But it doesn't say if you prepay or pay as you're paid and the form is super confusing. Maybe if I get serious about it, I'll try and find music lawyer to help me. Last thing I need is getting sued by an artist or label.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Royalty rates apply if someone uses copyrighted music for the purpose of entertainment where they will make money from the performance.

Typically in order to receive royalty rates the artist must be represented by a publisher listed with ASCAP. That publisher has an account with ASCAP and any time that artists work is played on the radio or used for some purpose they can receive royalties through ASCAP.

Licensing for music is done through Harry Fox and can be done online. The cost depends on the use and the exposure. For a one time use for a small sudience, the license fees can be obtained for as little as 5 cents per song. Once a song starts playing in rotation on a radio station, the cost depends on the size of the station audience.

If you're looking to sell your own music online with itunes, good luck. typically you need to get to them through something like CD Baby where they will submit your music for you at a cost of 9 cents per song. If you sell something online you get 65 cents less the 9 cents from CD Baby and you would have to pay CD Baby $35 to get your CD listed.

Try www.Jamzilla.com as an alternative, it's a new MP 3 download site that jusst opened.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There is some good info in this thread, thanks for the quality content.

If you dont mind check out my CD on cdbaby.com

Do you think any of the songs should be available for electronic distribution? (one of the ones availible to sample).

Archived