Doing some market research

Timekeep69

• Members

I'm thinking about opening a drum shop and I wanted to get opinions from everyone willing to answer me. There are 4 Guitar Centers and a Sam Ash in town but I want to offer a drummer specific store for drummers. Now I'm obviously not going to be able to compete with GC and Sam Ash price wise but I wanted to know if anyone would patron a smaller store with a more personal relationship with the owner and pay a little more or would you just say screw it and go to Guitar Center/Sam Ahs for the savings?

btw, this store would be in Phoenix, AZ.

• Members

I'm thinking about opening a drum shop and I wanted to get opinions from everyone willing to answer me. There are 4 Guitar Centers and a Sam Ash in town but I want to offer a drummer specific store for drummers. Now I'm obviously not going to be able to compete with GC and Sam Ash price wise but I wanted to know if anyone would patron a smaller store with a more personal relationship with the owner and pay a little more or would you just say screw it and go to Guitar Center/Sam Ahs for the savings?

btw, this store would be in Phoenix, AZ.

I'd go to a drum shop if I could find one in Tampa. Unfortunately there's just a Sam Ash, a Guitar Center, an Aardvark, and a Paragon.

• Members

I'd go to a drum shop if I could find one in Tampa. Unfortunately there's just a Sam Ash, a Guitar Center, an Aardvark, and a Paragon.

We have a subway system, three Dunkin' Donuts, a labrador retriever puppy, and a Ford Explorer. :D :D :D

• Members

If your niche is service and knowledge it's possible to make it, but considering the comments on here that most people will go to Musicians Friend and not support locally, I think it would be tough.

I work with someone who has been in the music retail business since the 70's. His take on it is to create a niche with just teaching lessons, then you have monthly cash flow without the inventory costs.

• Members

I don't live anywhere near there, but yes, yes I would. Just about any alternative to GC or Sam Ash is a good thing. Thankfully, we have a great mom and pop shop right here in the burbs. They get all my drum-gear related money and I can have normal conversations with the employees about gear instead of some lame attempt at a sales pitch.

• Members

Here in Atlanta (or at least the suburbs of Atl.) there is a long time standing drum only store called Atlanta Pro Percussion. It's a good store and since it is established can almost always match the price of GC or Sam Ash. (A new Sam Ash just opened near it, so it has both GC and Sam Ash within 10 miles).

Service is hit or miss. The right guys will really help you out. Others wont care. The good thing is, that a drum specialty shop can eventually qualify for 5 star status and get to carry some gear major chains can't get.

However, in the long run... if price isn't within' $5-$10... it's not worth the special trip in my book.

DB

• Members

If your niche is service and knowledge it's possible to make it, but considering the comments on here that most people will go to Musicians Friend and not support locally, I think it would be tough.

I work with someone who has been in the music retail business since the 70's. His take on it is to create a niche with just teaching lessons, then you have monthly cash flow without the inventory costs.

Indeed. The mom and pop shops survive on lessons now.

On the gear side of things, you'll probably have to offer stuff you can't get at GC - real high end, and/or less popular brands. Maybe some unique accessories as well.

Kind of a tough thing to get going with what you're up against, but the people have spoken and they prefer to save a few bucks...

• Members

I plan on doing lessons, clinics, and drum circles as well. I want it to be more than just a store. I want it to be a place where people can come and talk about drums and drumming as well as selling product.

That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for the input!

• Members

I plan on doing lessons, clinics, and drum circles as well. I want it to be more than just a store. I want it to be a place where people can come and talk about drums and drumming as well as selling product.

That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for the input!

Might I suggest contacting Keith Larson at Maryland Drums. Before he started manufacturing custom drums, he worked for a large in-town store and then opened up a small specialty drum shop...at the time...the only one in Baltimore. He's a good guy and may be able to give you some pointers...

http://www.marylanddrum.com/main.htm

• Members

The 5 star shop in SLC has better prices than GC. They also offer backline rentals.

Backline's where they make the bulk of their income, too, I think. Kelly says he gets more in a night for a drumset than for a drummer!

/w

• Members

I have always wanted to start this kind of shop. Be a specialty music store, stock only nicer/rarer instruments and stuff ( with the occasional cheaper/popular brand ), teach lessons, offer outstanding customer service, and ( this is what really sets you apart ) have a small stage/venue. Offer live music a couple days in the week and open mic jams every other day or so ( a jazz night, blues night, rock night, even... dare I say it... a metal night?! ).

Make sure to get some coke dispensing machines so you can provide all the beverages on site.

I would definitely hang out there all day :D

( Are you the TimeKeeper I remember? The most excellent and generous one? )

• Members

I like the one on one (know what there talking about people). I live in Maine in the sticks, but every time I get to the city I make it a point to visit "The Drum Shop" (Part of the Five Star). But I also go to the GC. Only to see what they have. I like going into GC and playing dumb just to see how much those kids behind the counter really know. (not much).

Anyway back to the subject at hand, yes I would support the local store before GC and Sam Ash. :thu:

• Members

I have always wanted to start this kind of shop. Be a specialty music store, stock only nicer/rarer instruments and stuff ( with the occasional cheaper/popular brand ), teach lessons, offer outstanding customer service, and ( this is what really sets you apart ) have a small stage/venue. Offer live music a couple days in the week and open mic jams every other day or so ( a jazz night, blues night, rock night, even... dare I say it... a metal night?! ).

Make sure to get some coke dispensing machines so you can provide all the beverages on site.

I would definitely hang out there all day
:D

( Are you the TimeKeeper I remember? The most excellent and generous one? )

I thought about having jams and things like that but then I have to delve into live music permits and neighborhood meetings to see if the neighbors will allow it and all that so that part isn't worth it at this point. Now if the business is successful and I need to move into a bigger location....well, anything's possible.

I'm not sure if I'm the Timekeeper you remember, what act of generosity would I have performed?

• Members

Ahh I see what you mean. That's too bad about all the permits and business.

I'm seriously starting something like that when I have the funds available. I think it'd be an awesome little shop.

The Timekeeper I remember gave me some of his old hihats for free. I don't think its you, as the typing style is pretty different.

• Members

When I think of small music stores I think of the difference between lowes/home depot and ACE hardware stores. For mass produced products I go to HD or Lowed but if I need serious help and someone that knows what they are talking about I will head into ACE. I would do the same thing with any music store.

My advice would also be to offer things you can't get a GC or Sam Ash. Become a dealer for high end companies and you will get people driving miles just to see the stuff they can't find anywhere else. I do it all the time here in CA. I find myself spanning a 100 Square Mile area looking for shops that carry gear I can't find in GC.

• Members

Here in Atlanta (or at least the suburbs of Atl.) there is a long time standing drum only store called Atlanta Pro Percussion. It's a good store and since it is established can almost always match the price of GC or Sam Ash. (A new Sam Ash just opened near it, so it has both GC and Sam Ash within 10 miles).

Service is hit or miss. The right guys will really help you out. Others wont care. The good thing is, that a drum specialty shop can eventually qualify for 5 star status and get to carry some gear major chains can't get.

However, in the long run... if price isn't within' $5-$10... it's not worth the special trip in my book.

DB

Is there an Atlanta Drums & Percussion? I recall some big drum store got assimilated by guess who.

• Members

Good luck to you man it's a hard road , but if you can get established and get the local working drummers behind you spreading word you could have something pretty awesome on your hands. If you want to carry hand drums I can do wholesale on 5 drums or more or bulk hand drum supplies , if your into it we can even make hand drums w/ your logo inlayed so long as it's not toooo crazy (inlay pics on the slaphappydrums myspace) . I've done a bit of business w/ some mom and pops in Minneapolis (Ellis drum shop , Third Stone) and a few back home in Fargo (Marguerite's , Vinyl Connection) and I always loved working w/ them above the more corporate or pseudo corporate stores.(Guitar Center I love you I HATE you) I think you'll find most of us small specialty builders will be willing to deal to help get you started in the hopes that you get rolling and keep buying more stock.

• Members

I hear ya. I wish theyd get one around here somewhere. I live in Brandon. Hell, id be a bit happier if they put a GC here. Up in columbus, where im from, there was a really cool drum store. Had really great prices, sometimes beat online prices.

• Members

i dont go to gc... they didn't know how to fix my guitarists new guitar... and tried to push him out of the door with it still broken... i allways use smaller stores... plus, try to carry bigger names... shoot for "pro" drummers... gc is beg. to intermid. sets... ao, i would carry mainly pro gear... go for trick drums, and spaun, and stuff like that... just drive around to the gc's and sam ash, and see what they do not have, then, you can get it... but, in the end, i use little stores, because i feel better about it... about helping folks who use to be like i am now... just spending the whole pay check on gear... but comeing back just to see a face that knows me... go for it.

• Members

That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for the input!

I think we all would like a place to hang out and talk drums, that's why we are here. Big sofa, bass rig, drums, jam. But the bummer is and never forget this, you still have to pay the light bill, rent, insurance, salaries etc. meanwhile Junior is over there whacking the {censored} out of your 7K DW kit and getting up and leaving to buy his stuff from Musicians Friend.

• Members

Hey you gave me an idea. Now don't laugh! How about a store that sells the typical stuff, clothes and everything...the lighter stuff you know...heads, sticks, accessories...BUT.... at the back or the store, how about a showroom like they used to do at the old cars shows...with the kits set up on a revolving small 6'x'6' platform with some special lighting and maybe a backdrop scene like "In Concert". Like an Vistalite set, with Zeppelin in the background or a Slingerland or Remo aquamarine with the Buddy Rich Big Band in the background. Make them real untouchable show pieces behind the ropes ans everything. They would be for sale, but at a premium. But you get people into the store by the "show" and not necessarily the gear... You can set it up in decades and contact some vintage people who are trying to sell their stuff, and tell them they now have a prestigous location and venue to show off their stuff "live" They could help with the setup costs, you get the drawing power and everybody wins cause it's "New, Fresh" and believe it or not...straight out of the history books...it's novel... it's catchy...and there isn't another place like it around. It just takes the vision...

Aw...I new you'd laugh...just remember "no one ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the American public...P.T. Barnum

• Members

That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for the input!

You could always keep it open after dark and have a music venue there. You'd just need to add a drink stand.

Archived