DW vs. Tama :: Pedals

l Baker l

• Members

I know it seems to come up in every double-kick pedal thread, but I just have a few questions really, and need some info.

Well first a little background;

Not too long ago I bought at DW7000. I had originally wanted the DW5000 but the Guitar Center I went to was sold out, and my buddy that works there told me they're essentially the same pedal, minus a few small differences. I have been using it since but can't seem to at all get a good tension for either foot. The pedal just seems flimsy even though I've tightened every nut/bolt/allenhead on it. I can work out some pretty basic grooves with the pedal but when it comes to speed and control, it just doesnt seem to keep up.

So for the DW7000;

- Do any of you own it? If so, how do you like it?

- If you own it and do a lot of quick foot-work; what are your pedals set like?

- Do your pedals seem flimsy and shaky?

- What type of technique do you use? [heel up/down, etc]

Now onto the Tama Iron Cobras;

I know most of the guys on here swear by the Iron Cobras. I was just wondering what makes the Iron Cobras so well-liked? I have played them before and they just didn't feel all too right for me. But to be fair, when I had tried them... I wasn't all too experienced with double-bass playing. So why is it that those of you who swear by them, feel so strongly about them? And compared to the DW line of pedals, how do they match up? And is it worth the switch from DW to the IC's?

Thanks for the patience with this beaten topic. I'm sorry to bring it up once again but it seems that no matter how much I practice I cannot get my speed and control up with my feet. And I know technique is the main thing, but I also know that the right pedal makes a huge difference as well.

Thanks guys

• Members

Feel is subjective but the Iron Cobras are far more customizable than the rest so you're more likely to find settings you like with the Iron Cobras.

More importantly an Iron Cobra is heavy, sturdy, and very durable. The same can't be said of DW pedals. Everything's lightweight and crappy. Even on the 9000s parts will unscrew and fall off as you're playing.

And the Iron Cobra holds a deathgrip on your bass drum hoop while a DW holds more of a 103 year old grandma's grip on it. At shows, I went from a DW pedal where my bass drum would slide into a different area code after one song versus the Iron Cobra which isn't moving an inch from where you first put it! (unless your carpet moves but that's not the pedal's fault). I make sure all 3 legs of my throne are on the rug as well as the pedals and I have no trouble. The Iron Cobra seems to have more secure spikes and the rubberized bottom prevents slippage on all kinds of surfaces while DW's velco only helps when you have a carpet.

• Members

Now onto the Tama Iron Cobras;

I know most of the guys on here swear by the Iron Cobras. I was just wondering what makes the Iron Cobras so well-liked? I have played them before and they just didn't feel all too right for me. But to be fair, when I had tried them... I wasn't all too experienced with double-bass playing. So why is it that those of you who swear by them, feel so strongly about them? And compared to the DW line of pedals, how do they match up? And is it worth the switch from DW to the IC's?

Thanks for the patience with this beaten topic. I'm sorry to bring it up once again but it seems that no matter how much I practice I cannot get my speed and control up with my feet. And I know technique is the main thing, but I also know that the right pedal makes a huge difference as well.

Thanks guys

i own the 7000, i play with it a little bit loose, its just my preference, i love doing quick diddles and such, i dont know if i used the right word, It seems pretty rigorous to me, but not much more. i find it to be a better than average pedal, but nothing spectacular, btw the slave pedal does feel a bit laggish, i've seen many complaints about this. youre probably asking if i do alot of db work and the answer is no, i just use it on fills and occasionally on grooves but no metal 16ths or anything like that, i'd pick the cobra, and if money is no object, you cant beat the 9000, or look at the higher end gibraltars, they are quite good

• Members

Feel is subjective but the Iron Cobras are far more customizable than the rest so you're more likely to find settings you like with the Iron Cobras.

More importantly an Iron Cobra is heavy, sturdy, and very durable. The same can't be said of DW pedals. Everything's lightweight and crappy. Even on the 9000s parts will unscrew and fall off as you're playing.

And the Iron Cobra holds a deathgrip on your bass drum hoop while a DW holds more of a 103 year old grandma's grip on it. At shows, I went from a DW pedal where my bass drum would slide into a different area code after one song versus the Iron Cobra which isn't moving an inch from where you first put it! (unless your carpet moves but that's not the pedal's fault). I make sure all 3 legs of my throne are on the rug as well as the pedals and I have no trouble. The Iron Cobra seems to have more secure spikes and the rubberized bottom prevents slippage on all kinds of surfaces while DW's velco only helps when you have a carpet.

dw has spikes on their pedals, and i find that my pedal grips the hoop extremely well, and movement has NEVER been a problem for me, ive had my pedal for 2 years

• Members

Yeah the clamp that holds the pedal to the rim of the kick is horrible. TBH the no-name pedal that came with my first kit held tighter to the rim than this pedal. I'll do a double over doubles roll through the toms and all of a sudden my pedal is completely sideways.

And the slave pedal is severely sluggish and laggy. A little while ago I was sitting here adjusting the pedal. And after every few adjustments I would just try a simple paradiddle with my feet... my right foot was fine hitting the doubles, but the slave pedal just did not want to work. Its so flimsy and sluggish.

• Members

I would disagree that the 7000 and 5000 are all that close. I own a 5000 single and a 9000 double and have no trouble with either but don't like the 7000. I've played several IC's but bought the 9000 as it suits me better. I've had no clamp or walking issues with it.

As much as people hate to hear it said on about every topic, it really comes down to your preference.

• Members

I had the 7000's up until a week or so ago. You do have to maintain them as far as tightening screws and such. They never slipped from the rim though. The new 9000's are built up more now then the old one's- but pricey. I bought the IC's last week and used 'em Sat. Night for the first time,( see my thread( new IC's, EMAD and Sabian). I really do like the IC's for all of the reasons you've read. Theres 12 adjustments on them,(6 x 2 for the DBL). They are smoother and faster and will take some getting used to. I tightened the hell out of my springs on the 7000's and did get used to the feel. Actually, I could have lived w/ them. But, I'm a drum addict and I had to have the high grade. Later, Marko:D

• Members

Rolling and power both use double chains (so I'm not sure what the difference is)

But the Flexi glide uses a strap (which I prefer, but you may not)

Mines the Power Glide. Don't know anything about the Flex.

Guest Anonymous

Rolling Glide is a double chain no cam.

Power Glide is a double chain, with cam

Flexi-Glide is a Kevlar strap with cam.

• Members

Rolling and power both use double chains (so I'm not sure what the difference is)

But the Flexi glide uses a strap (which I prefer, but you may not)

Also, rolling glide has a round cam, while the Flexi and Power have an acceleration cam to it.

I switched from a Rolling Glide to a Flexi - WOW.

I figured out heel-toe with the rolling, now on the flexi, it's even easier/faster.

I just gotta work it (heel-toe) into everything else - it's way different feeling than standard...

• Members

On the 2007 models, they've improved them...

The rolling glide comes with a spring under the footboard for faster returns. The other two can have one added.

The frame has been "modernized" - and it appears one can service them easier (screws at the top to remove the shafts and bearings). The play between the two beater driveshafts has been reduced w/ nylong inserts, the linkage between the slave and master pedal is a chrome shaft, instead of the aluminum one that would get chewed up.

Overall, I'd say it's smoother and more solid than before, but not looser in a bad way.

I'm REALLY digging my Flexi.

• Members

Rolling Glide is a double chain
no cam

Power Glide is a double chain,
with cam

Flexi-Glide is a Kevlar strap
with cam

No whats the difference between cam/no-cam. And what is a round cam as opposed to an accelerator cam.

Sorry for being so nosy, but I'm new to all this technical type stuff.

Guest Anonymous

No whats the difference between cam/no-cam. And what is a round cam as opposed to an accelerator cam.

Sorry for being so nosy, but I'm new to all this technical type stuff.

The power glide cam accelerates the beater as it travels towards the head. The roller glide is just a round sprocket without any added geometric help. Most pedals use a cam of some sort. Most are fixed, some are interchangeable, some are adjustable. It's rare nowadays that a pedal doesn't use one.

• Members

I have a Power Glide (because I got it cheap from a friend) is there any way I can just buy the Kevlar Strap and turn it into a Flexi (I've played on the flexi and I prefer it over the one I have)

No, because the cam on the power glide has a sprocket that the chain fits over. The flexi has a flat surface on the cam instead of a sprocket.

Guest Anonymous

Rolling Glide has a cam, but it is a circular one that maintains a 1-1 ratio.

Rolling Glide has a sprocket.

cam

Machinery. a disk or cylinder having an irregular form such that its motion, usually rotary, gives to a part or parts in contact with it a specific rocking or reciprocating motion.

• Members

From the Tama website:

The Rolling Glide is selected by players desiring the even, uniform response of a round cam.

Of course, they are wrong as well.

If you want to get technical, the job of a cam is to convert force from circular to reciprocating. In other words, turn twisting power into thrusting power.

However, when you thrust on the pedal, the job of the pedal is to turn the thrusting motion into twisting motion. Something that turns reciprocating force into circular force is a crank.

So, to get down to it, the rolling glide has a sprocket driven crankshaft, the power glide has an eccentric sprocket driven crankshaft, and the flexi glide has a eccentric crankshaft. The Axis, Ludwigs and Yamahas all have linkage assemblies.

• Members

Then they're all cranks.

Umm :) with varying acceleration tapers. Linear to logarithmic give or take.

They should use electronic servo pistons for beaters. Completely adjustable for continuously variable playing response. Midi triggerable. Faster'n Darkslide. :D

Archived