Best hi-hats in the medium-price range?

geek_usa

• Members

Not really an advice thread but I guess it could turn into one...

so guys, what's the best hi-hats you've ever had the pleasure to play in the medium grade range? (I'm talking Sabian HHs, Paiste upper hundreds, basically any set you can get between $200 and $300 a set on MF or Music123).

Personally, I LOVE my Paiste 802s. I bought them on a whim, I knew nothing about drums - I asked the forum a couple times and kinda just figured I'd get whatever... I sure didn't go wrong on these. They're edgy, bright, and cut right through for rock music.

Great, pro-sounding hi-hats at almost nothing (i bought my set for $70 shipped :eek: !)

what's your favorite mid-grade hats?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a 15" zildjian A top, and a 15" A custom mastersound rippled bottom. I tried the Zildjian A's and they seemed too dark, I tried the A custom's and they were a little too bright, but mixing the A top and A custom rippled bottom made the perfect pair. I have paiste 2002 1970's 15" and I really like them alot, but to be honest, I have a new favorite pair.

I rate the zildjians a 9 out of 10 and the paiste's an 8.5, close but only one can be my "go to" set.

• Members

This is a great deal on a great set of HH's. I have the same set and I can only say these are often overlooked Paiste's. Made of the same stuff as the 2002 line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170158675777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

that being said, my main pair of HH's are 14 Sabian AAX Stage hats in the brilliant finish. I think they are the beez kneez.

• Members

Not really an advice thread but I guess it could turn into one...

so guys, what's the best hi-hats you've ever had the pleasure to play in the medium grade range? (I'm talking Sabian HHs, Paiste upper hundreds, basically any set you can get between $200 and $300 a set on MF or Music123).

Personally, I LOVE my Paiste 802s. I bought them on a whim, I knew nothing about drums - I asked the forum a couple times and kinda just figured I'd get whatever... I sure didn't go wrong on these. They're edgy, bright, and cut right through for rock music.

Great, pro-sounding hi-hats at almost nothing (i bought my set for $70 shipped
:eek:
!)

what's your favorite mid-grade hats?

Paiste's are like heroin for drummers. You can try to kick the habit and sub something else, but nothing else will do.

• Members

i loved my newbeats until i played a friends pair of 14" zildjian quickbeats.

i've never gone back. i love my quickbeats.

I like the quickbeats, too. IIRC the quickbeats are a bit higher in pitch than the newbeats--hence my preference for the newbeats. Both are worth hearing.

• Members

Well, it gets down to your style of playing and the music that you play. In the 70's I was a Zildjian man, new beats. Then I bought a set of 14" Paiste Sound Edge hats, then I went to Istanbul 14" hats, then I bought a set of Meinl 12" Johhny Rabb Safari hats(Jungle/Drum and Bass anyone?), then I went to Bosphorus 14" Master Series and now I play the Bosphorus Ferit Series 14". I don't think any of them was over $300. :blah:

Archived