12" tom as floor tom

qwertyMan

• Members

After having my toms setup with the 8, 10, and 12 above the bass drum, and the 14" on the floor, I got annoyed by the limitations in positioning the hats/bass drumm.

Right now I have reduced my setup to a 4 piece (the 10 on top and 14 on bottom) except I have the 8 to the left of the snare. I am considering putting the 12 down low as a floor tom, so that I would have a Buddy Rich (or John Bonham) type setup (except with smaller drums).

Does anyone else do this? Has anyone else done this? What are everyones thoughts on this?

• Members

I think it'll be hard to get it to tune that low, you should pick up some Pinstripes or G2s to get a good tone out of it.

I've got a G2 on it.

And I don't think I'll be able to get it tuned into "floor tom range," I just think it will be a little more convenient to have it down low and out of the way :thu:

What do the rest of you think?

• Members

I've got a G2 on it.

And I don't think I'll be able to get it tuned into "floor tom range," I just think it will be a little more convenient to have it down low and out of the way
:thu:

What do the rest of you think?

Try it. There's no rule saying you can't.

• Members

How are you planning to convert it into a floor tom and what would it cost? I don't know your setup but maby there is a way to use what you have already holding your 8". You might be able to move things around to see if you would like your 12" as a floor tom before you buy anything. I've tried sliding my toms right and left and it seems like there is always something in the way of something else.

• Members

It may feel ok for positioning but I think you'll be disappointed with a 12 as a floor tom. Yuo need more umph thatn that 12 can do. It'll be like and unresolved chord while you're playing.

I used to use double floors setup long ago in the 70's with my black octaplus setup...way too many tubs to handle...8 small single headed toms and a 16x16 and 16x18 floor. I finally got smart and learned how to play rather than show off the drums, and that's when I bought my Tama Superstars in 1980. If you can twist you baody effectively from the hips, double floor tom is a wonderful playing scenario...kinda like playing a whole new kit to the side. Add a good smashin china, and you get rockin feet patterns between the kick, your low toms, all accentuated with the big china poundind accents...like firecrackers or explosions going off...The bigger drums are harder to keep in tune and they sound flappy if not tuned properly...:thu:

• Members

I did that for awhile a few years back and actually really enjoyed the set up. The catch was in the psychology of it -- I kept using the 12" instead of the 16" for normal floor tom playing since that's where it was, so I ultimately went back to just one floor tom.

But definitely give it a shot. It may open a new door for you! :thu:

• Members

Well, I have it set up now. The order goes 10" (right up in front of snare) then 8" to the right of that, then the 12" on the floor, and finally the 14.

I guess it's pretty cool. I'm still looking for that "perfect" setup. I really like the 10" as the main rack tom, and as others have said the 12" doesn't quite have that umph a 14"-18" floor tom will give you. However it is convenient setting it up there.

I guess I'll play it like this for a while... It'll end up changing in a while anyways.

• Members

I have an 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16. I will often just run the 8 and 10 up top and put the 12 and 14 down low. It works great for me. Depending on the drum you can get it pretty low. Besides if you need more "umph" that 14" drum is not so far away. For me this has been very easy to do. I guess it all depends on your setup.

Archived