OT: Genesis Tour Ed. Hits Double CD

twosticks

• Members

Hello and Merry Christmas, I researched and thought I saw this on here already but it was Maria talking about the start of their latest tour in 2006.

About a week ago I was at Wal-Mart and saw this CD for only $9.72! I already had the Video Hits DVD which had all their videos (even the ones from "Trick of the Tail" period) remixed and done in 5.1 Dolby. But it wouldn't play in my CD player.

I think the producer on the redos is Nick Davis who produced "We Can't Dance" their last phil studio CD. There is a Genesis Hits Cd that came out in 1999. This is a two disc collection called "Genesis: Turn it on again, The hits- The Tour Edition"

Disc One: Turn it on again-No son of mine-I can't dance-Hold on my heart-Jesus he knows me-Tell me why-Invisible Touch-Land of confusion- tonight,tonight,tonight-In too deep-Throwing it all away-Mama-That's all-Illegal alien-Abacab-No reply at all-The carpet crawlers (1999)

Disc Two: Keep it dark-Man on the corner-Duchess-Misunderstanding-Follow you,follow me-Many too many-Your own special way-Afterglow-Pigeons-Inside and out-A trick of the tail-Counting out time-I know what I like(in your wardrobe)-Happy the man-The Knife(part I)-Congo

All have been remixed and remastered. Now when I say remixed, I mean they went to the original sourcetapes and reset the levels and remastered. This doesn't mean everything was just made louder. In fact, some of the best songs on here are from being able to hear the full rythem guitar and full keyboards sections in the background as well as clear distinct vocals. But is better to now hear "Turn it on again" and "Misunderstanding" with proper bass.

THe older songs are truly the best and blew me away with the remixes! To hear "Your own special way" and "Afterglow" the way it might have sounded to the band in the headphones back in 76' is awesome! I have the definitive remastered (94') CD's from 1972's "Nursery Cryme" and on and they don't sound as good as this. (I have Trespass(70') as well, but it has still not been remastered in whole like the others)

True there are a few classic opuses left out (Suppers Ready, Los Endos, Fifth of a Firth, Etc) But this colection is a great prethera of songs that run almost the whole gambit of the band's career. So if you're a big Genesis fan or a causal fan that wants a concise and introspective collection of the band, this is the best CD from them in awhile. Plus it doesn't cost that much (I think normal price is $20?) Be sure and check your local Wal-Mart for it! When it's new there, they'll have for like $10 at first and later, more.

Sorry so long, just that I have been playing the crap out of this and the songs just have stuck in my head this past week. Plus if any of you are looking for a new sound? Plus this mix just makes the old songs seem so new as well, Is very much the same recordings but is like some of them were recorded today instead of 30 plus years ago!! Try it out if you can! I give it.....Two Sticks Up! :thu:

• Members

Got it a couple weeks ago for around 14 bucks. Lots of great tunes for non-fanatics like myself. Turn it on Again is on the to do list.
:thu:

Cool, glad you like, Paperlate used to be fairly hard to find unless you got the second box set. Pigeons and Inside and Out were from an EP (extended play) from 77' which were on the box set as well, and were remastered but didn't sound as well as it is on here.

Carpet Crawlers is from 99' Originally from 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' From what I know this is closest the band got to a reunion of the original members. They laid a click/percussion/backgorund track down; one day, Phil recorded the drums;Tony and Mike did the keys and bass; Steve Hackett came in another day and did the guitar work; and then Peter Gaberiel came in another day and did vocals with Phil's pre-recorded background vocals (which Phil did background vocals for the band back then) Is on the shorter Genesis hits from 99' but this version sounds fuller.

As true fanatic and fan, this CD showcases a lot of songs that should have had more airplay but didn't and sound better sonically with the remixes. IF you are a causal fan and want more, I would also check out the live CD's. From the latest tour to their first live CD. They always sounded so good live but this remix hits sounds close to it.

I can really, really, really understand why the original line up hasn't performed again since the 70's, but my goodness, I don't think they understand the demand! Again we'll see, but these guys are approching 60's, if they don't do it soon, It might never happen. But then, look at the Stones....

• Members

On disc two the songs from Paperlate to Follow You, Follow Me were on the radio somewhat during the early 80's except for Dutchess and Keep It Dark. CD II and songs start from the early eighties and work back to the early 70's.

That's what I like about this CD. The original versions of the older songs sound good but can be muddled in places. In the remixes you can hear the sticking on the cymbals where before it would get lost in the mix or blend in with the keyboards. That's why I posted on here about it, after I popped in the second disc and noticed that the whole thing was so nice to hear.

Prior to the late 70s/early 80s Genesis wasn't on the radio that much in the States and was more of an underground band. They were much better known in the UK and Europe although there everybody thought that Peter was the band. This is also around the time when many of the Genesis fans from the early days began calling the band a sellout for going too commercial or pop.

The songs from Counting Out Time to The Knife(there is more to this song then where this version fades out) are with Peter Gaberiel singing lead. The last song "Congo" is from 97' after Phil Collins left Genesis (94') and the other two members, Banks and Rutherford tried to keep Genesis going with another lead singer (Ray Wilson) and two studio drummers. That album was "Calling All Stations" and to me Congo was the worst song from that CD, the others are much better.

After CAS, Genesis petered out until this years reunion tour with Phil.

Many of the progressions and hooks work because of Tony Banks and somewhat from Rutherford as well. ANd yes is from the days when Phil would just shut up and drum! :)

• Members

A drummer friend - a total prog head, turned me on to all this British stuff in the 70s. I recall Lamb Lies Down... Nursery Crimes, Trick... etc. This was the vinyl and cassette era. I know what you mean by muddy. They did good work on this hits release. No tinniness either. Anyway, I always found their sense of humor too dark and unfriendly to really embrace the music. But like I said , I love the tunes.

Anyway he also played me stuff like Brand X, UK, PFM, Gong, - just a whole slew of stuff that I have yet to explore and sadly, is now mostly vague recollections. I think I'll pop that Genesis back in.

• Members

I understand. I fell in love with the Genesis of Invisble Touch period and worked my way backwards over 20 years ago! It IS a very aquired taste! It took me a long time of getting used to the older stuff. I would hear such great medlys on the live stuff which made me want to hear the originals so much. They would be so flat compared to the live versions, but over time I got used to the older Genesis and is one of the things I love them more now. Is because like a good movie, you hear new things each time you hear the older stuff.

Genesis put out their first album about the same time as Led Zeplin, but since they were so eccentric and production was so-so, they weren't known big until later. I remember an older guy I worked with 20 years ago said Trick of a Tail was an awesome album. When I first heard it it I was like "What?" It's like the first time you see Monty Python, you don't understand. SO yes I can understand, I'm not really into any other british old bands either, I have spent the past 20 years getting used to Genesis from start to finish. A friend of mine during high school was really into ELP and Yes and it was hard for me to get deeper than the radio hits from them as well.

But yes old Genesis is very Brit-ish and hard to identify with at first, but later becomes easier and you understand how great the older stuff was and get a taste for it.

• Members

If you want some spread on what was happening back then, try some Brand X. Phil's on most of the early stuff. I remember titles like Disco Suicide, Morrocan Roll... hard to find these days.

I wish I had the stuff around. Now it's just some broken melodies, a riff here, an odd turn there...

• Members

Sorry, you rekindled some memories. Genesis performing "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" was my first of many concerts.
:thu:

Wow! That must have been cool! :cool: I heard that all they did during that tour was play nothing but "The Lamb" all the way through and that was it, is this true?? And to see Hackett play with them would be so awesome as well. Lucky Guy!:thu:

Archived