What sticks do you use

BenG

• Members

I was just curious because theres so many different kinds out there. I personally use 2 brands. Vater and Regal Tip. I use the Stewart Copeland standards from Vater just because they're so balanced and just give you even, effortless 16ths. I use the regal tip sticks just for the comfort of the coating that they throw on their. If you haven't had a pair of these, you should definitely go pick up a pair.

:cop::blah:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The wood one's..... Sorry, also sacasm. Hey neighbor:wave:. How's thing's in A2?? I'm just up the road.... I was using the Vater 5A or 5b(depending on my mood), and accidently got some 7A's a few months back, and been playing them ever since....

• Members

Currently using the Peter Erskine Vic Firth ride stick and the Promark Jazz oak.

Also in my stick bag, Vic Firth: Maple SD10(mostly for my rock gigs), Buddy Rich model, Steve Gadd model, A4 jazz, retractable brushes, yamaha mallets, Promark coolrods, and regal's plastic adjustable dowels.

• Members

I have been using maple 2B's lately, but I have in my bag Headhunter maples in BB and CC size. Big but lighter. Then I have been using SD generals and they are almost like a marching stick. I found that the Mike Mangini laminated birch sticks are heavy but It seems like a heavy stick seems to do alot of the work for me in regards to rebound and power transfer. My rebounding seems to be best and my pivot points are more easily found with a big stick.

I have some hickory 2B's but they dont feel as good for some reason.

So to sum up, My number one choice is any maple stick in 2B size, and then for pure power I have been using the laminated birch signature stick from Mangini. How the hell he won world's fastest drummer with such a heavy stick I'll never know ( well I do know: its called pure technique)

• Members

I was just curious because theres so many different kinds out there. I personally use 2 brands. Vater and Regal Tip. I use the Stewart Copeland standards from Vater just because they're so balanced and just give you even, effortless 16ths. I use the regal tip sticks just for the comfort of the coating that they throw on their. If you haven't had a pair of these, you should definitely go pick up a pair.

:cop::blah:

I also use the Stewart Copelands, they are very versatile.

• Members

The wood one's..... Sorry, also sacasm. Hey neighbor:wave:. How's thing's in A2?? I'm just up the road.... I was using the Vater 5A or 5b(depending on my mood), and accidently got some 7A's a few months back, and been playing them ever since....

Well A2 is....sweet? haha. I dont know that else to say really. Where are you at?

• Members

I don't care one bit about stick brands. I've tried so many diff models over the years, some were great, some were not. Whatever works best for me on the stuff I'm playing is what I use.

Right now I'm using:

~ ProMark Cool Rods

~ ProMark 777 (oak, wood tip)

~ Regal Tip Thai Sticks

~ Vic Firth SD10 Swinger (maple, wood tip)

~ Zildjian Dennis Chambers (hickory, wood tip)

• Members

Where do you live dude?...no sarcasm..curious?? hornbeam:lol:

I do not have the boldness to post and name what handmade stuff I use.... but here, drumsticks are traditionally made of hornbeam, also called white beech, this is the prefered material for sticks since thousands of years. Hornbeam is hard, light and has long grains which gives an ideal oblong stiffness. Each drum maker makes his own sticks. I don't know how many drum maker we have here, but drums, cymbals, pedals, drumhead, drumsticks etc. are made to personalized specifications.

Btw, longbows are traditionally made of taxus wood, also known as yew.

Archived