Not That I Mind BUT........

Mickey66

• Members

I started out as a guitarist, then started playing bass in a band, then bought myself a drum kit and here I am.

Drums are what I've always wanted to play. My oldest brother was a drummer, so he was the one that got me into it. Didn't get my drum kit until about two summers ago.

• Members

I haven't been in enough bands to have acquired instrumental bigotry syndrome. (IBS). I love guitar. I picked up my first air guitar when I was 5 or 6. Drums came some years later. I'm way more versed in drums so drummer it is.

It's still funny to me that in the trenches, players of different instruments tend to view musical relevance per the function of their instrument. I know it's an industry. Just a thought.

• Members

well for myself, i've been playing guitar for about 5 years (3 years solid), always been into metal, and through the various years me and my friends found out i have different talents in other fields, i have a great death metal growl/scream, i can play Bass cause of guitar, and i always wanted to play drums since i was a kid...parents always said they were too loud, SO, i got an electronic set with some headphones, EAT THAT! LOL. but aside from that, the reason i started playing drums is that my style of music and demands from other players cannot be met, not to mention most bassists/drummers in my city are retarded apes, SO i decided to make myself a one piece band. I just need to get upgraded software to record the MIDI on my computer (as well as buy a new computer) and i should have a few songs out there, i will be posting them on this forum. it will be grindcore-ish, can expect them in about 2-3 months. and thats my story!

• Members

ARE YOU GONNA SERIOUSLY TELL ME THAT YOU CANT FIGURE OUT WHERE ALL THE DRUMMER WANNABEE'S ARE COMING FROM?

I have never EVER been in a band situation where as soon as I left the room to take a leak that the guitarists didn't instantly jump all over my kit and start bashing and breaking.

I have found this to be a pretty consistent theme with other drummers I know. The guitarists want the "notoriety" of being a front of the stage guitarist, but secretly want to "slum it" by being a drummer. They know who has the most fun, but in their heart dont have the courage to lay it down every night. Also if they were the drummer, who would they have to blame for the time being so {censored}ty. Ever notice that? Most guitarists can drag a song anywhere, and being the decent sorts we are, we do our best to cover for them by slightly bending the beats ever so indiscretely, yet NO ONE is to blame for a song being a train wreck other than the drummer. :mad:

THATS WHERE IT IS COMING FROM, the guitarists want to have the fun, but dont think they will score enough chicks by being the "crazy drummer"

• Members

You're all on to me....!!!

I started out with a guitar about seven years ago, but never gave it the effort I should have. Honestly, I am fine with just doing rythem guitar, but I also "play" bass and I had often thought the drums would be fun. It may not be the best reason to start drumming but, one of the reasons why I picked up a kit is because I didn't want to have any more members in my band and wanted to keep things small.

Since I've had my kit I've been having alot of fun with it, it's a very fascinating and enjoyable interest with alot of creative freedom. It also seems somehow soothing after playing/practicing and has given me more insight into music - sounds corny but it's true. However, I will admit that if we did well enough to get gigs then I wouldn't want to be behind the drums, bass or guitar. I'd like to be vocalist, to be the focal point and the face of this project, not to get chicks though because I'm very happily married.

• Members

Where in the hell are all these guitar players coming from?
:eek:
Not that I mind;) but why do all you guitar players want to become drummers? lets hear the stories:idea:....BTW,good luck with your new adventure!!!

It comes in waves. After the guitarists get what they need, then usually the oboe players start showing up.:freak: Deep down inside, everyone wants to be a drummer.

• Members

My "voice" is my guitar, I could only really be a guitar player. I can obviously play a litle bass if needed, but drums are an entirely different beast. In a way, drums are the anti-guitar, with the former requiring closely synchronized small motor skills from both hands, and the latter favoring larger, independent motions from all four limbs.

Secondly, I am an afficianado of fine craftsmanship. The smooth expanses of nicely finished wood, the grain peeking through a translucent finish, are a delight to behold, even silent. The results of carefully matched heads and refined tuning meeting perfectly round shells with ideally cut bearing edges, is an experience that transcends the sum of its parts.

Also, my meter blows hobos in alleys for a dixie cup of fortified wine.

• Members

I think I explained this before but I played guitar for just about 20 years. Over the years, I have had the desire to play the drums but never gave it a shot thinking it was too late. Recently, I had an illness that took a big away a life long hobby for me. I had a void to fill so after talking with my wife and some friends from the local shop, I decided to give the drums a try. It did not take me long to realize that drums just make a hell of a lot more sense than my guitar playing ever has. I can't really explain it but I just seem to understand the drums a hell of a lot more than I ever did guitar.

• Members

I've played guitar and bass since I as 14. (I'm 26 now.)

I now mainly play the drums, am currently in lessons to improve my technique, and I'm about to try out for a band.

Everybody plays guitar. I wanted to try something different.

I felt as if I have hit a plateau when it comes to Guitar and Bass.

I'll never be a shredder or a slap n' popper, and that's fine with me.

There is a SEVERE lack of (good) drummers in OK.

• Members

Well I for one am glad to see a few over here from the dark side. I've butted heads w/ guitar players for years- since my ute.

I welcome each of you from the EGO engorged clan of the string and pick. Prove yourselves as worthy and trusted minions and you shall be given knowledge, albeit only enough to make you more confused and mesmerized with the cylindrical shaped objects which are called "DRUM". You are inherently dangerous and can only be given snipets of percussion wisdom else your heads may implode:evil:. Tread cautiously shredlings, the path you have chosen to observe and possibly follow can be a dangerous one to say the least.

Other then that, I'm sure you just want to learn to hit {censored} w/ sticks and do it well.

You are in the right place. :thu::freak:

• Members

Well I for one am glad to see a few over here from the dark side. I've butted heads w/ guitar players for years- since my ute.

I welcome each of you from the EGO engorged clan of the string and pick. Prove yourselves as worthy and trusted minions and you shall be given knowledge, albeit only enough to make you more confused and mesmerized with the cylindrical shaped objects which are called "DRUM". You are inherently dangerous and can only be given snipets of percussion wisdom else your heads may implode:evil:. Tread cautiously shredlings, the path you have chosen to observe and possibly follow can be a dangerous one to say the least.

Other then that, I'm sure you just want to learn to hit {censored} w/ sticks and do it well.

You are in the right place.
:thu::freak:

Well put.

• Members

I'm MAINLY a guitar player, but also play bass, keys and a little drums. Its probably due to DAW software becoming easier to use and more affordable. As a guitar player, if I want to lay some some tracks, I NEED the drums there.

Even if I don't want to actually play the drums I need to understand how to lay out a basic drum track. Rudiments! Bass Drum on 1 Snare on 2 ect.

Archived