The best deal you ever got...

Sytubs

• Members

The best deal I ever got was when I was about 13, I just bought my first set of drums and my drum teacher sold me 2 Zildjians, a 16" crash and a 21" ride (I think it's 21" I'll have to go up and check, might be 22") for $35. I still have the ride but the crash didn't make it.

Mike

• Members

A salesman buddy at a local music store in 1989 called me and asked if I still collected unusual drums, cause he had a deal for me. I said not really a collector but and I'd come over and take a look. I went over and he said, "I don't know anything about it but I know it's old". He brings out a hard shell square case with a string handle. I opened it up and it's a Ludwig snare with brass rims. I asked what he wanted for it and he said $125.00. He had just taken it in from a woman who had it in her attic. I told him it was a deal and I brought it home. At home I took it from the case for a closer inspection and immediately noticed it weighed a ton. I also noticed it had gut individually adjustable snares on the strainer. And finally, after a little cleanining, I determined that the color (black) was not tarnish but actually the intended color. After a good cleaning, the drum showed a pattern etching. I drew a picture of the drum and a description and sent it off to Ludwig? 3 weeks later I got a correspondence from Ludwig...a photocopy of a "1929" catalog with my drum circled. It seems it turned out to be a Super Ludwig Bell Brass etched "Black Beauty", and in 1929, it sold for $82.50. Let me tell you I WAS SHOCKED!!! I really should have probably kept it for posterity, but I'm not a real collector like most. Needless to say, I called a vintage dealer and he put it on the market for me because I needed other gear at the time. The moral of the story...it was sold in a week for $1200.00 and I outfitted my recording studio with the money from the sale. I told my salesaman friend and he nearly fell over. His exact words were "guess I should have charged a little more, ya think?":thu:

• Members

Ive been lucky.

Blackrolite.....64.00

A deal I made but did not take was a 6 piece maple custom Absolute Yamaha with upgraded hardware... 1800 out the door. That was great price.

The next week I did buy an Ayotte Custom 22-12-16 for 468.00 with H&B Enduro Cases from a pawn shop.

Ayotte Custom 7x14 maple snare 250.00 perfect. These still sell for over 500 on ebay.

Rogers 14x14 floor tom for 300.00 and in the same week saw two on ebay go for over a thousand and one for 1500 bucks.

Seven Line Rogers COB Dynasonic 100.00

Two COB Rogers Powertones for 100.00 each.

6.5x14 Rogers Dynasonic wood, in absolute mint condition 170 shipped with case

• Members

I got a set of Zildjian K 14 inch hi-hats and a Sabian AA 20 inch ride for $175.00 at Guitar Center about 2 months ago.

Also as a wedding present a friend of mine gave me an Iron Cobra double pedal about 6 years ago. My friend played bass for a guy at a music store who was selling his store and was trying to get rid of everything. I think he spent $50 on them.

• Members

Right before law school, i was working at a local music store delivering pianos and being the "drum dude". One day, after a day off, I walked into the store. The manager told me to go into the storeroom to check out the kit they just traded for... some church had come in to purchase one of the first series of Roland V-Drum kits. The store had taken the church's old a kit in trade. "See what you think about that kit back there. . .is it worth anything?"

I opened the door of the storeroom and saw, sitting in the corner, a floor tom covered in black diamond pearl wrap, w/ a brass keystone badge over the vent hole. DING DING DING!!!!! The "ohmygoodness" bells went off in my head. I ran over to the kit to find a standard 4 piece (20" bass w/ rail consolette, 13" rack, 16" floor w/ a chrome supraphonic snare) Ludwig. ..picked up the floor tom and looked through the vent hole to find the date stamp. "September 23, 1963." I damn near passed out. I checked out the wrap. . .no sunfading, very minimal scratches/wear. I gave myself a few minutes to calm down, then went back out front, as nonchalantely as possible... "so, how much did ya'll give in trade for that kit back there?" "Ummm, what? oh, about $200.00 towards the Roland kit"... "I'll give ya $250.00 for it right now". . .SOLD BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only did I get the drums, but it also came w/ a set of old Zildjian 13" thin hats, and a 20" ride. . .all for $250.00.

Have had this kit for over 10 years now, and I use it for most every gig. Sounds excellent... all warm goodness.

• Members
I ran over to the kit to find a standard 4 piece (20" bass w/ rail consolette, 13" rack, 16" floor w/ a chrome supraphonic snare) Ludwig. ..picked up the floor tom and looked through the vent hole to find the date stamp. "September 23, 1963." I damn near passed out. I checked out the wrap. . .no sunfading, very minimal scratches/wear. I gave myself a few minutes to calm down, then went back out front, as nonchalantely as possible... "so, how much did ya'll give in trade for that kit back there?" "Ummm, what? oh, about $200.00 towards the Roland kit"... "I'll give ya $250.00 for it right now". . .SOLD BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only did I get the drums, but it also came w/ a set of old Zildjian 13" thin hats, and a 20" ride. . .all for $250.00.

I hope this happens to me someday.

• Members

I traded the music department of my highschool my zbt hats for a set of new beats from the early 90's. In that school I don't regret it, kids always tore {censored} up. At least I'm still putting many miles on them, I plan on having them for life. Maybe in a few years I'll donate some money back to the department.

I liked the deal I got on my Gretsch catalina jazz shell pack from craigslist. It came with all new evans G1 heads, two extra brand new bass heads including a powersonic($40), a hardshell padded case for the bass drum, 2 sets of extra tension rods, and an additional 40 strand snare for only $300 all together.

stuff given to me over the years: (excluding my first drumset purchased by mother) 2 different cowbells, 6" zil-bel, cyclops tambourine with mount, 3 cymbal grabbers.

• Members

Oh wow! What a find! Did you try it out, and if so how did it sound?

Needless to say, it was louder than hell! It cut above every drum I had and this is when I had my big TAMA kit. The snares were "supersensitive gut" with each strand having individual tuning. I took it on a gig one time, but was afraid to keep using it. In actually, I think it would fit right in more as an orchestral drum rather than a gigging drum. Very Very bright, yet the snares gave it mor of like a marching drum quality rather than a crack or thud...

It paid for a keyboard I needed for my studio and some midi gear...se la vie!

• Members

Any pics? I bet that drum is beautimus.

No pics.

Actually, it really isn't that great-looking. The finish has some dings and scratches, and there are a few surface cracks in the outer ply of the shell.

But it sure sounds great. Much more of the sound I want than the chrome snare drum that came with the set.

• Members

It's not the most amazing deal ever, but today I picked up a used Zildjian A Medium 20" Ride for $120 at a local music store. I've wanted one for quite awhile, but new they go upwards of 250 in the shops around here (and online as well), and I hadn't seen a used one for under 160 until today. It's in great shape too with no cracks or keyholing, and I especially like the fact that it's broken in already.

• Members

$85 Used Sabian AA Tight Ride, turned out it was barely used had maybe a couple of finger prints everything else still perfectly new. 18x16 Sonor 2003 bass drum in blue fade for $145 on clearance. Added matching Ludwig Accent Custom toms (birch as well) 10x8 and 14x14 for about $230. Got a whole bop kit for $375.

• Members

hmmm, about 10-12 years ago, I bought some used cymbals to go along with a junk kit a friend gave to me after I had to sell my first kit.

I paid $90? for a set 14" Zild A's 9 They were older, they didn't sound bad, but they weren't great sounding. So I traded them in at a Music Go Round on a pair of new 14" Sabian AA regular hats for the cymbals and I think like $20 bucks with tax. New Sabian hats were $176 new and the best prices I was finding was like $140-150

I paid about $90-100 for a used Sabian 21" Dry ride, I longer I have this cymbal the more I like it. Also paid like $40 for a 12" AA rock splash and it is great cymbal as well

This past summer got a used acrolite with the grey unfinished outside for $75. head had a tear so I used an old coated ambo on had and has been playing fine ever since. I may upgrade the snare and throwoff later though.

• Members

Best deal I ever got was when the Army rejected me for The Vietnam War...think about it.

"Let's see here. . . intelligence. . .Check. Physical fitness. . . Check. Love of country. . . Check. WHOA, WAIT RIGHT THERE. . . DRUMMER?!!!!? OH HELL NO!!! 4-F. . .get outta here, son."

• Members

Oh man, I've been blessed.

1st- when I was 13 I traded a hip flask of Jack Daniels to my bass player for the snare his dad gave him. Turned out to be a 60's gretch round-badge.

2nd- sophomore year I shined every cymbal and drum in the music department and the director traded my crapped up zildjian student line hats for his 70's new beats

3rd- I bought a tama rockstar DX for $250 with all hardware and cymbals from a friend. He also threw in some 'junk drums' he had laying around. They turned out to be a snare, kick, and floor of a 60's slingerland kit. He had ripped the finish off the kick and floor. I picked up a tom from the same era and had it refinished in WMP. Beautiful kit. Sold the Tamas for $400 two years later.

4th- I bought a 6-piece pearl kit for $500. I pilfered the yamaha double kick pedal, all the super-nice cases, and the awesome snare it came with (some heavy-duty pearl) then turned around and sold it for $750.

5th- In college I picked up a Leedy snare from a kid for $100 that needed some elbow grease. After years of not getting to it, I let my fanatic friend do the work. Before moving away from the area, I gave it to him as a gift for the many deals he helped me out with. I almost regret doing that...

6th- Working at a music store, we traded in a Roger 65 Holiday in silver sparkle with a powertone snare for $100. When asked to bring it to the back, I loaded it directly into the back of my car. The owners let me buy it for $115.

7th- Same store. Owners weren't interested in buying a kit (20", 12", 16" non-matching floor) from a desperate guy trying to make rent. It's a 60's Ludwig Club Date in red sparkle with a matching jazz fest snare (all nickel hardware). $75 later it was mine. I almost feel bad. I had to buy a matching floor for $225 later. Awesome kit.

8th- Similar situation to #7. Chad Smith snare for $50.

That's all I can remember for now. Oh wait-

9th- A band we shared a rental space with sort of skipped town and left a 8-piece DW kit. The property owner told me he was going to throw it away so I lugged it and stored it for 6 months before I could get a hold of the guy to give it back. I totally threw my back out doing so and spent a couple hundred on chiropractic care. He gave me his DW Edge snare in appreciation.

• Members

Oh man, I've been blessed.

1st- when I was 13 I traded a hip flask of Jack Daniels to my bass player for the snare his dad gave him. Turned out to be a 60's gretch round-badge.

2nd- sophomore year I shined every cymbal and drum in the music department and the director traded my crapped up zildjian student line hats for his 70's new beats

3rd- I bought a tama rockstar DX for $250 with all hardware and cymbals from a friend. He also threw in some 'junk drums' he had laying around. They turned out to be a snare, kick, and floor of a 60's slingerland kit. He had ripped the finish off the kick and floor. I picked up a tom from the same era and had it refinished in WMP. Beautiful kit. Sold the Tamas for $400 two years later.

4th- I bought a 6-piece pearl kit for $500. I pilfered the yamaha double kick pedal, all the super-nice cases, and the awesome snare it came with (some heavy-duty pearl) then turned around and sold it for $750.

5th- In college I picked up a Leedy snare from a kid for $100 that needed some elbow grease. After years of not getting to it, I let my fanatic friend do the work. Before moving away from the area, I gave it to him as a gift for the many deals he helped me out with. I almost regret doing that...

6th- Working at a music store, we traded in a Roger 65 Holiday in silver sparkle with a powertone snare for $100. When asked to bring it to the back, I loaded it directly into the back of my car. The owners let me buy it for $115.

7th- Same store. Owners weren't interested in buying a kit (20", 12", 16" non-matching floor) from a desperate guy trying to make rent. It's a 60's Ludwig Club Date in red sparkle with a matching jazz fest snare (all nickel hardware). $75 later it was mine. I almost feel bad. I had to buy a matching floor for $225 later. Awesome kit.

8th- Similar situation to #7. Chad Smith snare for $50.

That's all I can remember for now. Oh wait-

9th- A band we shared a rental space with sort of skipped town and left a 8-piece DW kit. The property owner told me he was going to throw it away so I lugged it and stored it for 6 months before I could get a hold of the guy to give it back. I totally threw my back out doing so and spent a couple hundred on chiropractic care. He gave me his DW Edge snare in appreciation.

Some might say you should be Flogged for #6 and #7 but I have been on both sides as well,trying to make the rent etc.tonight,I had some stuff for sale on Craig's list and a friend of mine comes over to buy my Danelectro guitar....he brings with him a 1958 Slingerland Snare Drum...I took money and the Snare. You can see the Snare Drum on my Slingerland thread.

Archived