Crazy musical injuries

Buzter

• Members

Just wondering how many people have been hurt while playing or by your instrument. I had something happen to me about 19 yrs. ago and I've never heard of this happening to anyone else. I was at band practice and during the song I hit one of my toms pretty hard and the stick broke in half and the top half stuck in my face about 1/2 an inch below my eye. I was actually using Vic Firth SD1 generals at the time. I didn't use wood sticks for about a month after that.

• Members

Bwaha right off the bat you take the cake.

I play bass, and over the summer I was playing a club called the Reverb in Toronto. They've got these HUGE 20 year old Meyer boxes flown from the ceiling, with some subs below them. The distance from the top of the subs to the bottom of the flown boxes is maybe 5 and a half feet.

We play our set and on the closing song just before the solo the song really kicks in (heavy rock) and I wanted to hop up onto the subwoofers (which pretty much extended the stage) for a big "rock star" moment. Well, I'm 5'11" and I completely forgot about the main speakers hung above the subs, despite having run into them at points during sound check and the show.

Well, I hop up onto the subs and WHAM, I smash my face off the mains and damn near do a backflip off the stage. I landed on my back in the middle of the crowd... but didn't miss a note!

My face and my back hurt quite a bit afterwards...

• Members

I gave myself tennis elbow as a teen.
:bor:
There's a really bizarre clip someone posted here. Some kid playing timpani had a mallet break and nail him in the eye socket. Not for the fainthearted.

I gave myself tennis elbow too, from playing guitar and bass for hours everyday and then I stopped playing so much and I developed tennis elbow. I also have a scar right above the fingernail on my pick finger from scraping strings, the nail is also real thin and flat from years of scraping the strings. Not something you try to do, but it just happens, kind of like the knuckle busters you get on the snare from time to time.

• Members

Well, I hop up onto the subs and WHAM, I smash my face off the mains and damn near do a backflip off the stage. I landed on my back in the middle of the crowd... but didn't miss a note!

now that is hardcore! :thu:

I gave myself a bloody nose by rocking out too hard (hit my nose with the stick), but that's pretty minor

• Members

I don't know what caused it, but in 2003, I was practicing with my band, and then all of a sudden, I felt a cramp in my left hand, and my fingers involuntarily closed tightly around my stick. I had to stop playing, and then pry my fingers open with my other hand. It wasn't fun.

• Members

I don't know what caused it, but in 2003, I was practicing with my band, and then all of a sudden, I felt a cramp in my left hand, and my fingers involuntarily closed tightly around my stick. I had to stop playing, and then pry my fingers open with my other hand. It wasn't fun.

:freak:

• Members

and over the summer I was playing a club called the Reverb in Toronto. They've got these HUGE 20 year old Meyer boxes flown from the ceiling, with some subs below them. The distance from the top of the subs to the bottom of the flown boxes is maybe 5 and a half feet.

We play our set and on the closing song just before the solo the song really kicks in (heavy rock) and I wanted to hop up onto the subwoofers (which pretty much extended the stage) for a big "rock star" moment. Well, I'm 5'11" and I completely forgot about the main speakers hung above the subs, despite having run into them at points during sound check and the show.

My face and my back hurt quite a bit afterwards...

Gawd thats an awesome story Mogwix !

Glad you were okay!:wave:

You're avatar freaks me out.:thu:

• Members

timekeep - how did you sprain a rib?

Pull a muscle in that area...

Me:

Hitting other hand with drumstick

Hitting other fingernail with drumstick (the worst!)

Hitting my lip, nose, nostril, ear

Flipping my glasses off my head with a drumstick

The blisters on my left hand (search thread) that form into callouses, then blow out, to form callouses again (index finger last night!)

Break a stick, last one you have, so you flip it over and give yourself splinters the rest of practice/show.

Grabbing a cymbal incorrectly resulting in a sliced hand (did that once - cymbal had a small crack, grabbed the crack!)

Pulled muscles from playing

Pulled back muscles, perhaps even tweaked a disk, from moving PA cabinets before the show - that SUCKED when it came time to play!!!

Archived