Rush vs Genesis

1001gear

• Members

I would have to go with Genesis, though I have to admit nothing after the DUKE album really did much for me. Even DUKE had it's weak spots...Misunderstanding...but overall it had some of the last great songs by a group that ventured far away from what they were at their inception.

I like and respect RUSH's music, but it never grabbed me the way GENESIS did. As gifted and honored a drummer as Neil Peart is, I think all drummers should go back and listen to what Phil Collins was doing on albums like Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and Wind And Wuthering. I think the focus on Phil as lead vocalist has taken away from what a great drummer he was.

• Members

Rush, all the way, their musicianship trumps Genesis' (and many others). Neil Peart IS one of the greatest drummers of the past few decades. And for those who can't stand Geddy's voice (it's not my favorite either), Rush defeats Genesis with their instrumentals alone. Genesis is good, but at Rush's level, not in my mind.

• Members

I

Anyway, I love Rush, but I f@*$! hate 90% of the fanbase. I cant see them live anymore due to the 1000 drunks trying their hardest and loudest to match Geddy's pitch next to me. I dont get lame ass people who go to shows to get piss drunk and try to out-shout the amps. I want to take an ASP and crush their skulls in so damn much.

For me, it's the Shirtless Air Drummer Brigade in the first 8 rows....

• Members

I never really thought about Geddy Lee's voice being too high until recently. That was just Rush. My biggest thing with Rush was how all the songs started sounding alike after awhile. Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure just burnt me out a little. So technical and not enough groove. But Peart is STILL a god!

I remember people complaining because of a perceived change in sound with Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows.

I saw them in June 1990. I remember because I tore open my knee and still have a huge scar from the concert.

Listening to Peart back in the 80s was when I first started contemplating drumming.

Phil Collins was fantastic on PG 3 (e.g. have a listen to 'Intruder'). Jerry Marotta is on that album, too, and does a great job.

• Members

It was RUSH that pushed me over the edge, and made me buy my first drum kit--Roll the Bones Tour. I went to the bank for a loan, and the music store the very next day. I dig some Genesis, but I have to put my vote in for RUSH.:thu:

• Members

"I'll take Rush though, just not Moving Pictures- earlier Rush is more my liking. But that's also the case with Genesis, "When the Lamb Lies Down" w/ Gabriel was way cooler then the commercial stuff later in the 80's w/ Collins singing lead."-
Marko46

Well...I was going to throw in my $0.02, but Marko46 already said it perfectly!
:thu:

Genesis still made great songs after "Lamb" and before "Invisible Touch" it was just that they were never on the radio or well known. Now they weren't the old epic concept album songs that they mostly played with Gabriel but if they would have kept with the same ole, they would have become a parody of themselves. Kinda like the Moody Blues in the late 70's and why the Doobie Bros. faded away, they were playing the same type of music they always did before.

A Trick of the Tail-(1976) is awesome from start to finish. "Dance on a Volcano; Los Endos, Squonk" Classic Genesis sound. Eye opening good songs- "Ripples" (is also gem live version on Genesis archive II box set) and "Mad Mad Moon" I never tire of this song, is a softer song with a dream like quality. THe drums in it are a outstanding example of dynamics

Wind and Wurthering-( late 76') "Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers/In That Quiet Earth/ Afterglow" Close to classic Genesis, the riff in the "Earth" part is too cool! Afterglow is like that song you have in your mind. ("Three Sides Live" has an excellent version of Afterglow at the end of the old medley with Chester Thompson and Phil ending the song with a fill and groove that Chester did on the "Roxy" album with Zappa) "Your Own Special Way" (great live version on the Archive II box set as well) and "Blood on Rooftops" One of the last songs written by Steve Hackett for Genesis. Hackett left Genesis after the tour for this album was finished. VERY, VERY Underated guitarist!

*one of the worst songs from Genesis is on this album as well "Wot Gorilla?" Hackett wanted to have more of his songs used, the band said it was more by committe of the band together, So Hackett left, having already had a well received solo album.

Will continue this on another post.......

• Members

Will speed it up a little:

And Then Threre Were Three(1978): Good songs: "Undertow, Many Too Many", and the first song to crack the US charts: "Follow You, Follow Me". Mediocore album learning to carry on with just three in the studio.

Duke (1980) Good Songs: "Behind the Lines" "Dutchess" "Duke's Travels" along with "Misunderstanding" "Turn it on Again" Is hardly any bass in the album, is much better on the remasters and remixes.

Abacab (1981): Good Songs: "Me and Sarah Jane" "Man on the Corner" "Like it or Not" and "Abacab" Also has "No Reply at All" and THE worst Genesis song " Whodunnit?" First Genesis album recorded at the their newly built own studio called 'The Farm' in Surrey England. (Phil's solo album "Face Value" was recorded there as the building was being finished up) Was also the first album done with producer Hugh Padgham (Police, Face Value, Eric Clapton, etc) Hugh started the more live sound and less EQ and compressed or filtered sound.

Genesis (aka "The shapes" album because the album shows the pieces of a toy that uses shapes on the cover) 1983: Good Songs: "Mama" "If it's gonna get Better" along with "That's All" "Home By the Sea" "Taking it all too Hard" "Just a job to do" "Illegal Alien" Yes, this album was more aligned with Hall and Oates than classic art rock. But was still well done and often over looked.

Invisible Touch (1986) at least had Domino and the Brazilian to have some influnce of older Genesis. We Can't Dance (1991) was better and had "Driving the Last Spike" "Fading Lights" along with "No son of mine" to show it wasn't all pop-rock. SOrry to go on so long and is just my opinion. Thanks:)

• Members

damn Twosticks, you know I've never seen a short post from you before.
:)

I have a few and far between. THis thread would be hard for me to have one since Genesis is my favorite band from back when (Really at almost 40, I either like the music or I don't) It comes for the want to clarify since most people don't seem to get things with short fragments like:

Know what I'm sayin??? Peace;)

• Members

Hey twosticks, you forgot "The Carpet Crawlers". :thu: One of my fave tunes from any band.

I have a live bootleg of Steve Hackett in Osaka, Japan 9-17-96; has some Asia tunes on it that I was never so fond of, but also "In The Court Of The Crimson King", "Los Endos", "

• Members

*one of the worst songs from Genesis is on this album as well "Wot Gorilla?"

Well I have to disagree with you on this one. I've always liked Wot Gorilla, and if I had to go searching for "worst songs" by them I could go through a number of pieces before I even considered listing that one. To me "Wot Gorilla" is like "Cinema" off YES's 90125 album, though recorded many years earlier.

• Members

Unless these guys go against each other in a game of hockey or something, no one can ever say that one is better than the other. Threads like these are completely pointless and retarded.

• Members

Rush, all the way, their musicianship trumps Genesis' (and many others). Neil Peart IS one of the greatest drummers of the past few decades. And for those who can't stand Geddy's voice (it's not my favorite either), Rush defeats Genesis with their instrumentals alone. Genesis is good, but at Rush's level, not in my mind.

I'm not sure I see how RUSH's musicians rate so much higher than the guys in GENESIS. From what I've read so far not to many people are enamoured with Geddy Lee's voice, while Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins get nothing but respect for their vocals.

Instrumentally I find the two groups very equal in talent. While Neil is recognized for his innovative drumming, I think Phil's work with Genesis is no less impressive. I think most people that listen to the groups would admit that Steve Hackett is the equal of Alex Lifeson on guitar, and Geddy Lee and Mike Rutherford are equally proficient bass players.

I would hope that people are going back and remembering vintage Genesis, and not the pop band they became in the 80's.

• Members

Know what you mean. I've always found these prog supergroups - Yes including somewhat of a let down. Just trying to get some insight on this Rush phenom' . Of the bunch, Genesis is by far my preference for casual listening though.

• Members

Know what you mean. I've always found these prog supergroups - Yes including somewhat of a let down. Just trying to get some insight on this Rush phenom' . Of the bunch, Genesis is by far my preference for casual listening though.

I stopped listening to Yes when Bruford left. And coincidentally... started listening to King Crimson.

Archived