Who has dealt with drummaker.com?

D Carroll

• Members

I was wanting to refinish a kit over the summer, so i figured out the price, and figured out i would sped about 400 bucks all together on a refinished, and upgraded set, but then i started to look around, and found that i can get aqua bomb acrylic shells from drummaker.com, and i could get a custom acrylic set for about 600 or so dollars, and that could be my dream drum set, so far, i am having a good experience emailing them, and i am even trying to set up a visit to see the shell colors before i buy, but i am just wondering if they try to screw you over t any time? or if they are as good as they seem to be now.

• Members

"screw you over"?

No way ... never. I've done quite a few orders with them, and hardly ever a hitch. And the hitches were taken care of, no sweat. Good people in my book.

Another thing is that you'll get your stuff pronto.

• Members

I've been wondering about them too. For some reason, building a custom 6-piece kit (no snare included) costing just over $600 seemed too good to be true, even if I was to assemble everything myself. Would it be worth it to buy all of the pieces to your kit there for real cheap and assemble it yourself for a tenth of the price it would cost to get the same kit custom made at OCDP, DW, SJC, or Precision Drums? if it's a good deal, I don't think I would mind replacing my fairly new Exports in the near future...

• Members

No way ... never. I've done quite a few orders with them, and hardly ever a hitch. And the hitches were taken care of, no sweat. Good people in my book.

Another thing is that you'll get your stuff pronto.

i also live about 20 minuets away from them too, so i would probably talk them into letting me pick it all up, thank you for reassuring me! i have also found out that it is cheaper to get lugs from ebay, so i figured out the price, and it will be about 564 ish... depending on how much they charge for drilling (if at all...)

• Members

Andy and his crew are great people to deal with!!!

i have been emailing Jon, and he seems like a great guy so far! i am stoaked! i think after the kit is made, i will sell my pacifics, so it will be a 300 dollar upgrade from pacific fxr (great kit) to a custom acrylic...

• Members

I've been wondering about them too. For some reason, building a custom 6-piece kit (no snare included) costing just over $600 seemed too good to be true, even if I was to assemble everything myself. Would it be worth it to buy all of the pieces to your kit there for real cheap and assemble it yourself for a tenth of the price it would cost to get the same kit custom made at OCDP, DW, SJC, or Precision Drums? if it's a good deal, I don't think I would mind replacing my fairly new Exports in the near future...

Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. Can you measure and drill PRECISELY? Apply wrap, or stain and sand and finish a coating on wood? It doesn't take but one slip or moment of inattention to f$#k up a shell.

And when you look at it, there are some very nice sounding and looking kits that are even cheaper than going the home-assembled way.

• Members

I just had a long conversation with Andy at the Chicago Drum Show. Grabbed some photos of his booth (see slideshow at Drummer Cafe) and did an brief video interview with him which I'll be showing on DCTV very soon!

Small companies like the Drum Supply House can't afford to be jerks and run-off customers.

Since they are located here in Nashville, we've already discussed about a more thorough interview.

I think you can count on great service from Andy; he's a great guy.

• Members

you'll have to be reasonably confident you can do a good job of it.

you're unlikely to get much for a homebuilt kit if you decide to sell (unless you do a really smashing job.)

You'll be using the same parts the other custom builders use, but you don't have to feed clothe and house your family with the proceeds.

• Members

Can you measure and drill PRECISELY? Apply wrap, or stain and sand and finish a coating on wood? It doesn't take but one slip or moment of inattention to f$#k up a shell.

Actually it's not as hard as you would think. Andy and the guys can drill, cut and sand the shell for you and with wrap from Jamin' Sam with their tape it's really easy! I was pretty intimidated my first time, but after realizing how simple these guys make it, I think anyone could build their own custom kit!

• Members

I order from Drummaker all the time. Never really had any problems, and when something did crop up, they were great about taking care of it right away. A good chunk of hardware for my new ash stave kit is coming from them.

But don't delude your self into thinking you can build a nice kit for "cheap". I am building a new 5-piece. the lumber for the staves was ~$120, while all the hardware and heads required to make a fully playable kit will total upwards of $800.

Fear not...go forth and but parts! Bob

• Members

I have done one acrylic custom (8 X 15 w/ 60's Slingerland COB hardware), without a hitch, and have repaired my Vistalites. One thing to be careful of is that you don't crack the shell as you are drilling. Use a press, and make your bit conical for easy exit. You don't want even a chip, because of the possibility that it will produce a crack (it's like the notch factor on wood). Use a slow speed. Brace the shell from movement.

http://mousepade.com/pics/drums/snrint.jpg

http://mousepade.com/pics/drums/snrsd.jpg

Ludwig uses plastic spacers/gaskets on their Vistalites. Probably because you can see the inside of the hardware through the shell, but I use them just to be sure. Simple to cut out of an old head. Punch your mount holes, place the gasket on the hardware, and cut around the lug/mount with scissors.

Get a piece of scrap to practice your drilling to be sure that you've got it right. Cracked shells are cheep on eBay, and could save you the cost of a good shell. Hell, if you need to, when you're ready, e-mail me and I'll send you some scrap. I should break a shell by then.

Archived