Gretsch Cat Maple made in China

rayboomboom

• Members

I was seriously looking at the Gretsch Catalina Maple kits. I was trying to find something wrong with them. How could a kit like this be so inexpensive? I thought the only thing that would make me reconsider is if the shells were made in Chine. So I emailed Gretsch and asked about the shells. Their response: made to Gretsch specs in China! from local maple trees.

So am I being weird? (that's a rhetorical question). I want these drums to last a long time, not that I play out all the time, but I don't want to run into problems later that I could avoid now.

Ray

• Members

I thought everyone knew this? Only thing Gretsch has that's made in the US are the keller shelled stuff. USA Customs/Maples.

This is pretty much true with all the drum companies. I think DW and Ludwig may be the only two left making their own shells in the US. Other than the small boutique outfits and places like Spaun/Pork Pie, there are maybe a couple that also use kellers for their high end stuff.

It's a fact of life. Unless you by the aforementioned stuff... it's made in China.

• Members
I thought everyone knew this? Only thing Gretsch has that's made in the US are the keller shelled stuff. USA Customs/Maples.

QUOTE]

When did Gretsch start using Keller shells? Their web sit says they are still building their own shells. From their site

• Members

Are you all honestly surprised!???

These days, China makes damn near EVERYTHING (yes even stuff designed in Japan, Europe, and the good ol US of A). They are having an industrial revolution over there.

• Members

What do people have against other countries? It's not the country that matters, it's how it's made. If it sounds great, I don't care if it's from the west side of Timbuktu.

I opened the newspaper up today (old school) and looked to see what jobs were in the classifieds. I found 3. Thats General, skilled and professional sections combined. That's one of the many reasons people care what countries manufacture the products we consume.

• Members

and YES Keller does produce Gretches shells for the custom series since Jasper went out of buisness but only for Gretch.

And how do you know this? Again from their web site.

"The USA Custom series is hand-crafted every step of the way in our Ridgeland, SC factory by highly experienced and skilled drumsmiths. Our legendary Gretsch formula 6-ply shell is the cornerstone of our legendary sound. "

• Members

Gretsch doesn't use keller shells.

If that's changed, it's not been for long. It was a big deal when Jasper folded. When Jasper stopped making them, Gretsch was without a shell. Keller made them to Gretsch specs, and from everything I've read... that means their glue formula. There was talk of Keller putting gumwood in them, but I never saw any confirmation of that. Prior to that, they used Jasper. Maybe they made their own way the hell back... But at least since the 50's, it's been Jasper. Then Keller. All the other stuff comes out of China or something similar.

Oh, I forgot another company that builds shells in the US. Fibes. Built in Texas. They started building their own when Jasper went out. They were one of the few that used Jasper shells along with Gretsch. It's why older Fibes kits [on up until '03 or '04] are very desirable. Corder and Darwin [which became Fibes] used them too, although they also used Kellers.

• Members

I opened the newspaper up today (old school) and looked to see what jobs were in the classifieds. I found 3. Thats General, skilled and professional sections combined. That's one of the many reasons people care what countries manufacture the products we consume.

Well, you're really blaming the wrong guy. Sure, China makes all this {censored} and does it with what probably amounts to slightly above slave labor rates. But the culprit is good ole American big bidness. Yep, blame them. They are the ones that decided it was better to use China's slave labor and save more money for enormous upper management bonuses while increasing profits across the board. They didn't give a flying {censored} how it affected the economy here.

So the switch has been to a service based economy. Then these wise {censored}ers see it fit to move call center operations over to India [again, cheaper labor...more profits...enormous upper management bonuses]. So now even those type jobs are getting scarce. Won't be long until there is almost nothing left.

• Members

. So now even those type jobs are getting scarce. Won't be long until there is almost nothing left.

Though there is truth in what you say, the real culprit is Americans. We've developed a culture of "low price no matter what," and because American workers get paid well and accrue a long list of benefits, it has become impossible for US-manufactured goods to compete in the marketplace with goods manufactured elsewhere.

You saw this long ago--decades, in fact--in the electronics industry. It may be true that even back then "enormous upper management bonuses while increasing profits across the board" had something to do with it, but the actual explanation--as is so often the case--is simple supply and demand.

Archived