Looking for a specific snare sound. Please help me out!

ReighIB

• Members

Right now I have a aluminum Tama snare (that came with the 5-piece rockstar kit pack) and I am ready to move on to a better sounding snare. Im looking a snare with more 'pop' that sounds a little flat. Sounding like this http://www.myspace.com/itdiestoday (The snare in thank you for drinking).

So based on that snare sound, can someone recommend me a snare that can sound like the snare in the song mentioned above?

Thanks!

• Members

ReighIB: How about you just contact the band and ask them? The picture of the drummer hides the snare, but I'd guess it's possibly the snare that came with the kit and he just changed the skin, tuned it to his liking and then the mixing took care of the rest.

turdadactyl is onto something. I've got an all maple snare and once I put a G2 skin on I achieved a flat sound similar to the one in that song.

-----

That deathcore stuff is bad for you though! Emo boys trying to play some sort of half-ass death metal with soft vocals, it's just not real metal. If anything, check out some progressive death or technical death.

• Members

That deathcore stuff is bad for you though! Emo boys trying to play some sort of half-ass death metal with soft vocals, it's just not real metal. If anything, check out some progressive death or technical death.

Or at the very least...some tasty drumming from Gojira, Opeth, Soilwork!

Mmmmm or some Cryptopsy. Good old French Canadians :)

• Members

*patiently waiting for a metal drummer to come along*

You can wait all you want, but the answers above are probably going to get you close. A lot of it is the mix. If I get really bored this weekend, I'll record a bunch of snare hits and mix it 4 different ways to show you how much sense that makes. Or...you could wait for a metal drummer to tell you with as little certainty as the rest of us.

Email the drummer.

• Members

You can wait all you want, but the answers above are probably going to get you close. A lot of it is the mix. If I get really bored this weekend, I'll record a bunch of snare hits and mix it 4 different ways to show you how much sense that makes. Or...you could wait for a metal drummer to tell you with as little certainty as the rest of us.

Email the drummer.

Yes, I know it has alot to do with the mix but I was wondering how I can get that sound live. I appreciate your offer about mixing snare hits, but I can do that with my own snare and mic so theres no need for that. And youre right, I should just e-mail the drummer and ask him directly.

I didnt mean to sound unappreciative to anyones suggestions. I guess I was just eager to find out how to get that snare sound. :)

• Members

Or at the very least...some tasty drumming from Gojira, Opeth, Soilwork!

Mmmmm or some Cryptopsy. Good old French Canadians
:)

Aye, Cryptopsy is one of the very few good bands to come out of Canada unfortunately. Another good one from Quebec is Monarque. I'm not familiar with Gojira, but I use to be a pretty big Opeth fan.

• Members

Yes, I know it has alot to do with the mix but I was wondering how I can get that sound live.

A live (unmic'd) snare will never sound like a recorded snare. A mic doesn't "hear" sound the same way that our ears do, add to that the EQ, gate, processing, sampling/triggers, etc, and you get the point. You may be able to get that tone out of a PA, but it will take some work, and would change venue to venue.

Try different head combo's and tunings, and you might discover the magic combo for you. That tone is not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

Archived