Four Piece Kit & Rock Covers

BigMac5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why?

Because I have a history of speaking my mind on the subject...shall we say...to "much critical acclaim." Inevitably, I end up pissing off everyone that plays a 4-piece.

I hate 4-piece setups...even if only because they are so "fashionable." If you're going to short-set yourself, I'd rather see you on a 2 or 3 piece. At least it wouldn't be the same {censored} you see literally everywhere. I hate anything that's "cookie cutter."

• Moderators
I
hate
4-piece setups...even if only because they are so "fashionable." If you're going to short-set yourself, I'd rather see you on a 2 or 3 piece. At least it wouldn't be the same {censored} you see literally
everywhere

I sort of don't get this. Four-piece kits have been pretty standard since the beginning; I don't even understand how they could even be "fashionable".
:idk:

• Members

Well, what's "standard" is a matter of perception. So is what's "fashionable." Perhaps "in vogue" is a better way to express what I'm saying about the 4-piece. And if it is indeed "standard," that would only serve to increase my disdain for them. What can I say? That's just me...and having to explain myself this way is the reason my first impulse was to avoid it.

• Members

I know what you mean about hating certain kits. For me, I hate the 5 piece with two floor toms. No real good reason, I just detest the location of the second floor tom in that setup. Not just because of how it's played but it just look stupid. I'd rather have a 4 piece than a 5 piece with dual floor toms.

No logic, just an opinion.

• Members

Although I have a four peice I HATE that setup! It doesnt give me enough variety and also it does make it hard to play metal and rock covers which is mostly what I play. On a positive note I think everyone should play a few covers on a four peice just because it forces you to be more creative with fills and what not. Works wonders but its just a pain in the arse(atleast for me)

• Members

what a fukin retard I am... I can no longer call myself an IT guy. Was staring RIGHT at me, but I just couldn't figure it out.

Maybe you are an idiot, a moron, dumb, or just plain stupid.The word "retard" is not an insulting word, it comes from mentally retarded which is a mental disorder. I work with these special people everyday, and believe me, they are not the stupid ones.

• Members
The only time a four piece will look out of place is if you are doing prog wankery in the fashion of Dream Theatre or Rush. It works well for everything else. If you are playing prog wankery... You'll want this guy.

frontlf9.jpg

Playing a kit like that is easier than playing a four piece. If you are a good enough drummer four drums are all you need to play anything.

• Members

I dont agree that the 4 makes you more creative in Fills. I find it a bit stifling. More drums, more choices as to where your going to land your hands, imo.

Not that theres anything wrong with the 4 piece. I enjoy stripping down and playing it, as I find it a little "freeer" or less cluttered. BUT, I have never thought of it as making me a better drummer, and the "whats in fashion" aspect of it is onerous. I agree with Rumstik that whats fashionable at any given time usually sucks, but I dont necessarily apply that to a drum set. Whatever will serve the music is whats necessary. For my last gig, I had 3 racks and a floor tom, a set of RotoToms, bass and snare. I barely touched the Rotos, but if your gonna do your best Steward Copeland, they work nicely.

I guess this is a long way of saying exactly what most guys have said already, that its a matter of personal taste. I have a singular talent for regurgitating what others have said, but turning it into a Russian novel:rolleyes:

• Members

Yeah, I get sick of hearing "it forces you to be more creative." What a load of crap. You're either creative or you aren't...what's that got to do with the number of drums in front of you?

It's much simpler than that. If you're playing a part written for 5 toms on 2 toms, you're not being creative...you're compromising...compensating...covering even...but creating? Nuh-uh.

• Members
Maybe you are an idiot, a moron, dumb, or just plain stupid.The word "retard" is not an insulting word, it comes from mentally retarded which is a mental disorder. I work with these special people everyday, and believe me, they are not the stupid ones.

I don't think he was insulting himself. Monsieur SkiAzzzzz was refering to the fact that he is slow in developing his mental abilities. You see, SkiAz has been using the US (or US-International) QWERTY keyboard layout for many many years, and had yet to aquire mastery of the device until yesterday. Like the developmentally challenged folks you speak of, Monsieur SkiAz is inhibited by his mental abilities at times. Although, the major difference is that his mental abilities become limited on a voluntary basis, rather than a congenital condition.

And I agree, there are multitudes of people far dumber than most of the special needs folks I've ever dealt with.

:)

PS
who needs a 4-piece kit. i'm gunna build a giant prog kit out of pizza boxes and tupperware so I can do Metalica covers. WOOT!

• Members
Because I have a history of speaking my mind on the subject...shall we say...to "much critical acclaim." Inevitably, I end up pissing off everyone that plays a 4-piece.

I
hate
4-piece setups...even if only because they are so "fashionable." If you're going to short-set yourself, I'd rather see you on a 2 or 3 piece. At least it wouldn't be the same {censored} you see literally
everywhere
. I hate anything that's "cookie cutter."

Do you also hate bands that have two guitars, bass, and drums like every other band in the universe?

How about Toyota Camrys? Or, how about those bandwagon jumpers that have four wheels on their car like everyone else? Damn trendy bastards... ;)

:poke:

• Members

Yeah, I get sick of hearing "it forces you to be more creative." What a load of crap. You're either creative or you aren't...what's that got to do with the number of drums in front of you?

It's much simpler than that. If you're playing a part written for 5 toms on 2 toms, you're not being creative...you're compromising...compensating...covering even...but creating? Nuh-uh.

Out of curiosity, what is your preferred setup?

• Members

Out of curiosity, what is your preferred setup?

Well again, it's a matter of application, but, if I was back in a mixed-covers band, I'd play a minimum 3-up/1-down setup,* with possible alternative-voice additions or substitutions, (e.g., timbales, aux. snare, etc.), for specific songs, if necessary.

*That's snare, kick, 3 rack toms, 1 floor tom

Currently, I'd best be described as a non-gigging "hobbyist," and my stationary home laboratory rig is 5-up/2-down, 2 snares, 1 kick, 11 cymbals, (counting stacks as one).

Archived