Four Piece Kit & Rock Covers

BigMac5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Do you also hate bands that have two guitars, bass, and drums like every other band in the universe?

How about Toyota Camrys? Or, how about those bandwagon jumpers that have four wheels on their car like everyone else? Damn trendy bastards...
;)

:poke:

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. You've accurately diagnosed my disorder...err...condition. :p

• Moderators
It's much simpler than that. If you're playing a part written for 5 toms on 2 toms, you're not being creative...you're compromising...compensating...covering even...but creating? Nuh-uh.

You really can't see how arranging something written for a larger kit to play on a more minimal one might be a creative excercise?
:confused:

• Members
You
really
can't see how arranging something written for a larger kit to play on a more minimal one might be a creative excercise?

:confused:

Hey, it's just my opinion. And, it's entirely possible that my definition of creativity differs widely from yours.

Maybe I'd call it being "slick," or "industrious," or "adaptable," but I just don't see how reduction = creation. I get the rebuttal, "you have to be creative to make 2 sound like 5," and if I ever hear anyone do that, perhaps I'll give them credit for some form of creativity, but it hasn't happened yet.

Like I said, for my purposes, playing a part written for 5 toms...on 2 toms...is much more compromise than creation. Sure, toms aren't technically "melodic" in most applications, but would you play a chime part with 5 pitches on just 2 chimes? I wouldn't. And if I did, I wouldn't tout is as having forced myself to be creative. I'd sweep it under the proverbial rug.

• Members

of all the things to hate you hate 4pc kits...lol did your 4pc kit not hug you enough as a child?

heres one though...i hate 2 bass drum setups when both bass drums are tuned and sized the same....wtf is that crap get a double bass pedal (this of course excludes back in the day when they didn't have em yet)if you're going to have 2 bass drums have them sound completely different like a 22 with a woofer and a 20 tuned to resonate more like a straight ahead bass drum

• Members

I get the rebuttal, "you have to be creative to make 2 sound like 5," and if I ever hear anyone do that, perhaps I'll give them credit for some form of creativity, but it hasn't happened yet.

that hasn't happened for you yet? have you ever seen some jazz cat come in with a snare bass hat and ride and just groove the {censored} out of the music? have you ever seen a clip where a drummer just solos using 1 or 2 of the drums available to him and creates something awesome using maybe snare bass and 1 cymbal? I mean if you haven't seen how a good drummer can be extremely musical and creative no matter how many drums/cymbals he has set up at the time then you just aren't looking hard enough if at all....

So this guy was compromising because he only had one drum right?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I never said you can't play well on a 4-piece. I've had my mind blown by great playing on one practice pad...and many times by 4-piece players. That's not what this is about.

If you read my posts, I'm repeatedly talking about parts written for a big kit, played on a small kit. I don't like it. If you do, that's cool.

See? This is why I should have stayed out of it.

• Members

I never said you can't play well on a 4-piece. I've had my mind blown by great playing on one practice pad...and many times by 4-piece players. That's not what this is about.

If you read my posts, I'm repeatedly talking about parts written for a big kit, played on a small kit. I don't like it. If you do, that's cool.

...ah misunderstood what you were saying my bad.

• Members

i hate 2 bass drum setups when both bass drums are tuned and sized the same

I'm not arguing with you since I play a double pedal on one kick, but it is much easier to play two kicks with single pedals than to play one kick with a double pedal. I just like to save heads, tuning time, transportation space, and mics.

• Moderators

I'm going to post video of me playing Meg White's drum parts on a one-up, two-down kit with hydraulic heads and no resos on the toms, a comforter in the kick, and napkins and tape on the snare... just to see if I can possibly piss off this entire forum with one go.

• Members
I'm going to post video of me playing Meg White's drum parts on a one-up, two-down kit with hydraulic heads and no resos on the toms, a comforter in the kick, and napkins and tape on the snare... just to see if I can possibly piss off this entire forum with one go.

:lol:

• Members

make sure it's duct tape.

BTW if you do this you'll prolly make a ton of money.

• Members

I'm a little pissed off just over the mental image.

• Members

It could come down to the color of the kit.....

• Members

Ya know, with these crappy digi cameras that take video, you'll prolly sound kick-ass.

Do it. Do it!

PS

Are there any glory holes in the kit?

Archived