weckl anyone?

sirskatealot066

• Members

Weckl is an incredibly talented drummer.

I find a great deal of sameness in his playing, so I've kind of grown tired of listening to him play. One can only wow me so many times.

I've seen him live and at a clinic. I met him once, and honestly he seemed pretty full of himself. That was a long time ago, perhaps he's mellowed since then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I didn't even know they were an item.

Just the one scene.

---------------------------

---------------------------

I just got the Camilo stuff in.

Michel Camilo

On Fire

Rendevouz

One More Once

So far I've been once through the first two. Very very finely crafted showing off these (Weckl and Camilo) two. One cool aspect from an educational standpoint, there's no slop and no swim on the time. If you get lost, your fault.

I would recommend this stuff to all fans and students and the death guys too.

6 bucks each at Borders. Quite a score. Thanks DTD :thu:

• Members

Michel Camilo

On Fire

Rendevouz

One More Once

So far I've been once through the first two. Very very finely crafted showing off these (Weckl and Camilo) two. One cool aspect from an educational standpoint, there's no slop and no swim on the time. If you get lost, your fault.

I would recommend this stuff to all fans and students and the death guys too.

6 bucks each at Borders. Quite a score. Thanks DTD
:thu:

I agree with your assessment entirely and I'm glad you like them! Some of it is simply jaw-dropping--and good music at the same time. I love Camillo.

I think Weckl is one of those musicians who always sounds better on someone else's records.

• Members

Michel Camilo

On Fire

Rendevouz

One More Once

Okay, now you're ready for this:

f13042jp4o1.jpg

"Triangulo"

Give Michel Camillo a drummer with all the chops of Weckl and about six times the musicianship: Horacio Hernandez.

He's also on Camillo's "Live at the Blue Note."

• Members

I'm no Weckl expert by any stretch...but for me stuff like that clip is impressive in terms of chops but leaves me feeling cold. I kind of associate him with that type of drumming...along with all the other big "studio" guys like Erskine, Gadd, Hakim, Smith etc.....I know they all are different but to me the all kind of float around that certain level.

I personally just get such a better buzz from guys like Tony William, Elvin Jones, Blakey etc...and even more modern guys like Marvin Smith, Brian Blade etc...Chops equal to if not better than guys like Weckl but much more musical and melodic.

I mean if I'm gonna listen to guys trying to do "jazzy" stuff I might as well just go for the real thing right? And really in the end a guy like Weckl will never be a true legend in either rock or jazz because they are just too pedestrian....in spite of the fact their chops and execution are nearly flawless.

• Members

I just played the CD cut of "Why Not" for the first time and while the tune is not a compositional milestone, the rhythms are such that you gotta nail 'em or nuthin'. The high resolution articulation is what brings 'em to life and makes 'em interesting. No romanticizing here.

You mentioned Marvin Smith. He plays half the tracks of the Camilo CD, "On Fire". He does a fine job but next to Weckl, he's the one coming off pedantic.

To me it's just evolution of the craft.

• Members

Has Weckl ever played with a band anyone one would know about? Or is he always playing the underground type scene?

Dave's first big gig out of college was the one of most notoriety. He was the drummer for the Simon and Garfunkle Reunion tour. After that he hooked up with Chick Corea and most of his time has been spent with Chick or his own band.

• Members

Okay, now you're ready for this:

f13042jp4o1.jpg

"Triangulo"

Give Michel Camillo a drummer with all the chops of Weckl and about six times the musicianship: Horacio Hernandez.

He's also on Camillo's "Live at the Blue Note."

First things first. Read the credits and it turns out I'm liking Joel Rosenblatt more than Weckl. Need to find out more.

• Members

Dave is an awesome drummer. I can see why people say all his stuff sounds the same or he has no soul or whatever though. Definitely worth listening too if you're a drum fan or aspiring drummer though.

Check him out on Chick Corea Elekrtric Band's "Behind the Mask" CD. Good stuff.

Funny, I also have his CD "Synergy" which is very good. But, the songs sound very Elektric Bandish.

Archived