Looking for a tighter Hi-Hat sound

Mr. Smiley Face

• Members

Right now I'm using 13'" HHX Evolution Hats, and I'm starting to feel they are a little too "chunky" for me. I do like the sound of them but I was wondering if anybody had some ideas as to other cymbals that may fit my needs better.

Here is a sound clip of my hats:

http://sabian.com/EN/products/HHX_Evolution_Hats_13_11302XEB.cfm

Now I may just be being picky, but I think I'd prefer something a bit tighter or crisper. Not really sure how to describe it. Any ideas for a pair that will suit me better?

Also, if somebody has a pair that they think would fit the bill, and is interested in a possible trade, I'd be open to that too.

• Members

Well, if you'd still like to stay with Sabian, the AAX series will definitely give you a brighter sound. And if you like the undersized 13" hats, you might take a look at the 13" AAX X-Celerator hats. Because of the edged bottom cymbal (think SoundEdge and Mastersound), it allows air to escape therefore giving you the crispness I think you're after.

Hope this helps,

Jake

• Members

Thanks guys,

I would prefer to stay within Sabian, but it's not a necessity. However the local music store has a much larger selection then Sabian then anything else. However, I'd really like to buy used as it'll save me a couple bucks.

I also recently discovered that my hats sound a bit crisper if you flip them (the bottom on the top and vice versa). Not sure why, but it seemed to improve the sound a bit.

• Members

Thanks guys,

I would prefer to stay within Sabian, but it's not a necessity. However the local music store has a much larger selection then Sabian then anything else. However, I'd really like to buy used as it'll save me a couple bucks.

I also recently discovered that my hats sound a bit crisper if you flip them (the bottom on the top and vice versa). Not sure why, but it seemed to improve the sound a bit.

The bottom is heavier and tends to accent the upper frequencies...I used to do that to cut to the back of the room in big clubs...

But I just got done playing a session on those AAX's and they sizzled my brains out...crisp doesn't do it justice...:thu:

• Members

Sorry, I can't help you then. 'Cause I've got 13" Mastersound hats and they are awesome.

• Members

Right now I'm using 13'" HHX Evolution Hats, and I'm starting to feel they are a little too "chunky" for me. I do like the sound of them but I was wondering if anybody had some ideas as to other cymbals that may fit my needs better.

Here is a sound clip of my hats:

Now I may just be being picky, but I think I'd prefer something a bit tighter or crisper. Not really sure how to describe it. Any ideas for a pair that will suit me better?

Also, if somebody has a pair that they think would fit the bill, and is interested in a possible trade, I'd be open to that too.

Step on the pedal more?

• Members

As a general rule heavier-weight cymbals will be brighter sounding. The only problem with those are, they tend be "clangy" when they are opened up.

I would stay away from the hihats that have the ripples on the bottom. Part of the reason for the ripples is so the two cymbals don't "vapor lock" together when stomped on by your foot. But, now it's harder to acheive a nice tight hihat sound when the two cymbals are clamped tight. They are a little "sloshier". Not that those cymbals are bad, but for a complete "full range of sound choices", you will be missing the tightest possible sound using your foot.

Yes, Stewart Copeland used Paiste Rude hihats for a while. Very heavy-weight cymbals. He also used 13" Paiste Signature Dark Crisp hi hats. Nowadays he uses 12" Micro protypes hihats or something like that.

I like very bright hihats also. I use (the majority of the time) Zildjian A 13" Quick Beats with the holes on the bottom. For me, the good thing with the holes on the bottom, (as opposed to the ripples) is that I still have full "metal to metal" contact between the two cymbals when I stomp on it. 13" are great for me, but it may not have enough cut-through for very loud music. I've used them for loud music and they are fine, but maybe 14" Quick Beats would be better for high volume music. Sabian may have something in a simular model...but I'm not familar with all their stuff. I also have Zildjian 13" K/Z's. The Quick Beats are brighter to my ears.

So yeah, stick with a medium to medium heavy weighted cymbals (or heavy if you dont mind clangy), in a 12" or 13", and something you can stomp on tight.

• Members

Try Zildjian 12'' Special Recording,Paiste Signature Micro Hats,Billy Ward has a prototype 11" hi hat if you can find it,Sabian 12" David Garibaldi Jam Master Hats,this is just a few suggestions on hi hat models that have a clean,tight crisp sound.

• Members

Yeah AAX will definitely be a good series to look at to get the sound you're looking for.

One thing I will say is I'm not biased to a certain type of cymbal brand so don't be afraid to try some zyldjians. I've always been happy with what I get from them but I've found sabian to be hit or miss a lot of times

Archived