Weird Ebay Question

Miskatonic

• Members

A weird ebay question would be "Have you recently eaten a hot pocket off of this cymbal, to give it a pepperoni and cheese sound?"

Or, "Have you accidently mistook this cymbal for a sled in a recent snow, and rode it down an icy hill, only to find out that it took off the top layer of finish, and gave it a jazzy sound? Because that is the only kind of cymbal I buy."

Or, "If I purchase your product, do you think it will properly defend me against a poo-flinging monkey army?"

Take your pick...

• Members

I'm selling some cymbals online and I received a message asking me what the weight of one of the cymbals was in grams. Is this guy just yanking my chain or is this relevant to cymbals?

It's a very common question... but usually reserved for "Vintage" cymbals.

One that should have been included in your description on the cymbal.

• Members

Modern cymbals are much more uniform in production, but all cast cymbals vary in weights, as there is a large portion of manufacture that is done by hand (hammering, lathing, etc). but cymbals of the 50's and 60's and even 70's had great variations in actual weight within the same lineup's and often back to back off the line. For a given size and purpose, the weight can tell you how dark/bright a cymbal is for the expected line. For example if you are selling an 18" crash, the average weight for that line may be 4 pounds, but if the one you are selling is 3.3 pounds, the buyer can expect a thinner darker sound than average, or if its 5 pounds, it is possibly heavier, producing a brighter harsher louder sound. I always ask the weight, since I can't test it myself, this way I can have some sort of idea what type of sound to expect. Asking the buyer is too subjective.

• Members

Some yahoos out there like to grind down cymbals to remove cracks and sell them as the next size down. I would imagine this is the reason for the question. Or to avoid cheap imitations. Or because the really are looking for a cymbal to protect against a poo-flinging monkey army.

• Members

Would the hi res metric weight be a way to authenticate the delivered product?

It could be used for that, but it's incidental.

The reason for asking is to get some idea of the cymbal's physical characteristics. A 20" ride that weighs 3200g will be more like a "rock ride;" higher-pitched and pingy-er than one that weighs 2600g, which one could expect to play darker, softer and washy-er.

• Members

It could be used for that, but it's incidental.

The reason for asking is to get some idea of the cymbal's physical characteristics. A 20" ride that weighs 3200g will be more like a "rock ride;" higher-pitched and pingy-er than one that weighs 2600g, which one could expect to play darker, softer and washy-er.

Rum's on it, without a soundfile to preview what you're buying, the weight (in grams or lbs) will give you some idea of the character of the cymbal.

I have 22" rides that range from 2300 grams - 3200 grams, they are very different animals.

• Members

A weird ebay question would be "Have you recently eaten a hot pocket off of this cymbal, to give it a pepperoni and cheese sound?"

Or, "Have you accidently mistook this cymbal for a sled in a recent snow, and rode it down an icy hill, only to find out that it took off the top layer of finish, and gave it a jazzy sound? Because that is the only kind of cymbal I buy."

Or, "If I purchase your product, do you think it will properly defend me against a poo-flinging monkey army?"

Take your pick...

Have you ever been assaulted by a poo flinging monkey? It not too enjoyable!:eek:

• Members

Rum's on it, without a soundfile to preview what you're buying, the weight (in grams or lbs) will give you some idea of the character of the cymbal.

I have 22" rides that range from 2300 grams - 3200 grams, they are very different animals.

Newfie mentioned this too. Useful info there guys. :thu:

• Members

Absolutely give the weight of the cymbal (in grams if possible). A postal scale will give weight in grams. If you don't own one, drop by the local Post Office, they have one. I'm always amazed by the number of cymbal listings on ebay that don't include the weight. :thu:

• Members

Absolutely give the weight of the cymbal (in grams if possible). A postal scale will give weight in grams. If you don't own one, drop by the local Post Office, they have one. I'm always amazed by the number of cymbal listings on ebay that don't include the weight.
:thu:

Since they are still up I can go back and revise them to add the weight. I weighed the scale at home and it came out to 3.5lbs. I converted it to grams for the person.

• Members

I have an old triple beam that I'm not using, so after reading this I wheighed my Avedis 6" splash just for {censored}s & gigles. But then the weird {censored} started. I got out a zip lock baggy and put it in it, called an old friend and told him to come over, I was holdin'.

Some {censored} never changes I swear..........................

Plus, I'm all of a sudden very paroniod.:rolleyes:

Archived