Weird Ebay Question

Miskatonic

• Members

I have an old triple beam that I'm not using, so after reading this I wheighed my Avedis 6" splash just for {censored}s & gigles. But then the weird {censored} started. I got out a zip lock baggy and put it in it, called an old friend and told him to come over, I was holdin'.

Some {censored} never changes I swear..........................

Plus, I'm all of a sudden very paroniod.
:rolleyes:

nice:lol::facepalm:

fwiw, some cymbal makers sell their product by weight and some retailers do the same.

• Members

Yes, the weight is very legit and grams is the most common measurement to use. Though most of the big cymbal companies will make each model very close to the same weight, the smaller hand-made cymbal companies will vary the weights dramatically.

Remember, there are many variables that effect the sound. You can lock in several variables and then change the weight to alter the sound. Likewise, you can lock in the weight and change the size or shape of the bow or whatever and vary the sound in different ways.

Finally, you can have two basically identically shaped and weighted pies that are hammered and lathed differently and you'll get still more varieties in sound.

Cymbal making is a fascinating art. Study up on it. Start with the Cymbal Book by Pinksterboer.

http://www.amazon.com/Cymbal-Book-Hugo-Pinksterboer/dp/0793519209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227474538&sr=1-1

Archived