What batter head do you prefer most for your snare?

Carpathian

• Members

I can't seem to find a sweet spot on my 5.5x14 maple. I have way too much ringing present. I have tried only Remo Emperor(2 ply 7mil) & Emperor X(2 ply 10 mil w/ black dot). I just can't control the overtones at all. My reso head is Remo Ambassador Hazy. I tried searching the forums to see what I need to be doing as far as tuning but everthing points to the heads and thats when I hit a brick wall. Just some suggestions if you would like to share. Thanks

• Members

I'm using PCRD coated over Hazy 300 right now on a 14x6.5 maple with sharp edges...sounds very fat in the middle and a bit of ring towards the edge. Not bad. I think I'll next try an Ambassador coated over Emperor hazy to add some more depth to the bottom head.

• Members

Your band will drown out the overtones if you're playing out.

A piece of moongel or gaffer tape will take care of it if you're recording or close-micing.

It's supposed to ring.

Enjoy it ... it's a good thing ... kinda like having nice solid turds.

• Members
Try an Ambassador coated batter, and an Emperor underside snare head, or Evans hazy snare reso. Works for me man

I just went w/ this combo. Traded out the coated Emperor and Ambassdor reso for an Ambassador reverse dot and an Emperor reso at MF. See how this works out for me. Thanks for the input. I learn so much from this place.

• Members

I like the power centers a lot, reverse or standard dots. Also growing very attached to this hybrid one, I think I will always keep a snare around with one on it now. For snare side, I like to use Ludwigs, they're cheap where I buy em, and sound good.

• Members

Have you tried tuning the batter & reso to the same or nearly the same pitches? On some drums, I get the best balance of tone & ring with the batter just slightly tighter than the reso.

Anyways, my 6.5 x 14 acro likes a coated Amby pretty tight over a 300 weight reso, just a little looser. I use a little moongel when I feel like it. Authoritative pop with an unobtrusive, vaguely woody, mellow ring.

My 7x13 Artwood maple likes a Genera snare coated (underlay w/out vents) tuned medium over a 200 wt. reso tuned low. Fat rock sound w/ just a little ring.

I'd try the Genera.

• Members

Coated Ambassador on most snares. Coated Emperors on some deeper snares to mellow the overtones and bring out the body. You might try a thicker resonant head too.

i have a 14x7 maple snare, and with an ambassador it gets way to much ring, so i found your point about the emperor interesting.

im a light hitter, so would an emperor head on my snare take away from the dynamics and sensitivity of the drum at all?

• Members

You sacrifice some dynamics, but you can't expect a really deep snare to have the sensitivity of a shallower snare anyway, so I go for tone over versatility in that case.

i'll have to give that a try then. thanks for the tip.

Archived