Drum corps audition time.. take a look at my videos!

korgan

• Members

Wot keind sticks you are use?

Seriously. The white ones are Hardimons? And the ones in the other clip look even bigger. 3S ?

Forgot the critique. Not crisp enough. The rolls lag ever so slightly. Were I judging, that would be a considerable point of contention. The flammy stuff sounded good but once again crisper with more conviction. I think Carmine brought this up earlier. Exaggerate the contrast - you wanna catch some ears.

• Members

It looks pretty good, dude! If I were to make criticisms, they'd have to be very nit-picky because, well, that's all there's left! I'd say for your fast to medium-fast rolls could probably come down in height a bit. Also, I don't know about the Colt's particular technique, but i'd suggest working on using more wrist for your stroke. Some corps do march with a lot of arm (like Phantom Regiment, who was clean as a mother{censored}er the past few seasons) so I'd take what I say with a grain of salt. Either way, great improvement since last time! Let us know if you do make it! If the colts come by Arizona, I'll be sure to stop by and say hello! :)

• Members

Look I'm not a drum corp guy at all, so you may discount this advice. I teach drum set. I don't know if they teach you this or you've done this on your own, but to me, your left hand if too open(horizontal) with the palm almost facing upward. The wrist should be more vertical with the palm facing in as though you are reaching to shake someone's hand.

• Members

Thanks again guys!

I'm using FS2s, as I'm really starting to hate Hardimons. Used them in the first video because my college line was using them, to my chagrin.

I'm really working on getting rolls at that tempo tight, its obviously been my tiger to tame (what does that even mean?) The instructor at the Colts marched Cavs, and actually is getting the line to move in the opposite direction technique wise. He likes a lot of arm, alot of wrist (which I need to use more of), higher heights than would be expected, etc. Basically, he likes it loud with a big show.

Wellhungarian, you and I are of the same school of thought. However, when I got there they really turned my grip south. Go figure.

Thanks, keep the comments rolling! No pun intended, but I'm off to work on those rolls. Thanks for the encouragement!

Archived