Help with mounting

Carpathian

• Members

I feel like an idiot asking this. I purchased this http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Latin-Percussion-Joey-Castillo-Drum-Pack?sku=447715 I really only wanted the jam block and mount but at the time it was the same price if I had purchased the jam block and mount by itself. I tried mounting the cyclops tambourine in many different ways/places and no matter what I can't keep the damn thing from making noise when I play every piece of my kit but this. Is this something I will have to deal with or am I doing something wrong?

• Members

Ok took a look at the picture and the problem there is the tambourine is horizontal. A trick from the percussion section is to hold the tambourine vertically. You need to find a way to do that and also isolate it from any stand connected to your other stuff.

• Members

I feel like an idiot asking this. I purchased this
I really only wanted the jam block and mount but at the time it was the same price if I had purchased the jam block and mount by itself. I tried mounting the cyclops tambourine in many different ways/places and no matter what I can't keep the damn thing from making noise when I play every piece of my kit but this. Is this something I will have to deal with or am I doing something wrong?

I would think if you isolated it on a cymbal stand, it should not rattle. Even if I attach mine to a stand attached to my rack, I don't get a rattle. Is the tambourine tight at the clamp itself? Some are a little touchy and you need to bare down with a set of channel locks, but not to the point of damage.

• Members

Here's something to try. Go to the hardware store and get yourself some rubber gasketing like this...

http://www.uxcell.com/hollow-air-weather-strip-seal-gasket-long-for-diy-car-use-k108-p-21530.html

Wrap it under the jingles either on the inside or outside (put it on the inside it's prettier) so that the jingles normally rest on the rubber in the non active position. Flip the tambourine over. Put the rubberized gasket tape part way up the side so that when you flip it back over in playing position, the jingles are touching the gasket taking away some of the vibration. Don't worry, when you hit it with a stick or hand, it will still make noise. This just adds some vibration muffling...this goes all the way around on the inside of the tambourine so that every jingle touches it...

• Members

It shouldn't matter if attached to a crash stand, the noise will get lost in the cymbal crash. A little extra jingle shouldn't matter when hitting the jam block, either. Also, you could mount the tambourine to your hihat rod for some old school jingle. Worst case if it still bothers you, send the tambourine to me ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

Here's something to try. Go to the hardware store and get yourself some rubber gasketing like this...

Wrap it under the jingles either on the inside or outside (put it on the inside it's prettier) so that the jingles normally rest on the rubber in the non active position. Flip the tambourine over. Put the rubberized gasket tape part way up the side so that when you flip it back over in playing position, the jingles are touching the gasket taking away some of the vibration. Don't worry, when you hit it with a stick or hand, it will still make noise. This just adds some vibration muffling...this goes all the way around on the inside of the tambourine so that every jingle touches it...

Have you now moved up to this amterial, instead of the bar napkin? Just askin'. You sound as though you know what you're talkin' 'bout Carmel.

• Members

I feel like an idiot asking this. I purchased this
I really only wanted the jam block and mount but at the time it was the same price if I had purchased the jam block and mount by itself. I tried mounting the cyclops tambourine in many different ways/places and no matter what I can't keep the damn thing from making noise when I play every piece of my kit but this. Is this something I will have to deal with or am I doing something wrong?

I can tell you I use those exact same pieces, plus a cowbell. Mine is mounted to a lp percussion mount bar and then mounted to an old lower cymbal stand, isolated from the rest of the kit. If its any where it will catch vibrations then it will make noise....

Archived