OT: Religulous

cearleywine

• Members

Well i can't logically explain manbearpig but i believe in him, so that doesn't make him any less real.

Good reference! Excelsior!

But seriously, if you ever want to have a logical conversation about this, just send me an email and I'll be happy to talk (not debate, not scream, just talk). Logic is not the downfall of God -- quite the opposite.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a Christian also, but I found the movie to have some extremely funny parts. Christians are so easy because many of them take it way too seriously. I really enjoyed seeing the folks in front of me at the theater turn around and look at me because I was laughing. "You blasphemer!" Kinda of reminded me of the first time I saw Pulp Fiction in a theater, I laughed so hard, I really embarrassed my wife and people were looking at me like, "dude there is something really wrong with you."

Maybe there is?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Members

Christians are so easy because many of them take it way too seriously.

true true

Also, it is kindof hard to argue with the fact that religion has been the cause of more wars and killing throughout human history than any other thing. Religion is not a "from God" thing, it's a "from Man" thing. Consider the source.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but plan to.

Disclaimer: NOT saying there is no God.

• Members

Ummm...

The {censored} they spew is no different than what any other Christian says. The fact that they sound stupid for saying it is...well...because they are.

Yes, because all Christians believe what five or six Christians believe in. They are all identical.

The truth of the matter is that ignorant and/or stupid people infiltrate all facets of society. There are the same percentage of dumb Christians as dumb atheists when you look at the big picture. A vast majority of people in both groups cannot form a coherent argument to justify their beliefs. A lot of them do not even truly know what they believe. There are sheep out there.

If you believe all Christians are automatically stupid because they believe in God, that's fine. Everyone can have an opinion. If you lived in Houston, you may actually be one of my coworkers. He loves to call the Christians here "morons." Somehow that doesn't fall under any kind of discrimination.

Just for the sake of argument, please scientifically prove the origins of the Earth. Nobody knows the answer right now, so until you do, try to be civil about life.

And to delve into your comment on homosexuality, any Christian who has opened a Bible should be able to tell you that they believe homosexuality is a sin. The fact that some Christians then feel empowered to destroy the iniquity of gayness just attests to their lack of understanding. Looking at naked chicks online is equally as sinful as being gay.

It's fairly obvious why homosexuality is such a big issue. Too many men are homophobic.

Now even for an OT, that got out of hand.

• Members

I do not believe dinosaurs evloved into birds.

Just wondering - why not?

***edit***

First let me say that I am (technically) Jewish. While I am not a practicing Jew (I'm basically an atheist), I grew up in a Jewish household, so that's where many of my views are coming from.

On the topic of homosexuality, I don't see how it's a sin. It seems to me that Jesus (again, don't have any particular faith in him other than the fact that I think he was a pretty cool guy), being very accepting of all people, would have accepted homosexuals as well. I do NOT believe in simply accepting arbitrary scripture that tells you that homosexuality is a sin. If God creates everyone in his own image, then why are there still gay people? God obviously doesn't mind.

• Members

It was so important that you decided to double-post? ;)

I said "five or six" people you ran with my quote, so I logically followed your quote. Anyway, that is neither here nor there.

All I did was say that the Bible says that a man should not lie with another man in the way that a man lies with a woman. Go ahead and look it up if you so desire. The best arguments I've ever witnessed between Christians and atheists was when an atheist knew more Biblical scripture than the Christian. Knowledge is power!

And you know you can't stop.

As for the comment about Jesus and homosexuals, yes He absolutely hung out with them. The Jewish rulers were none too happy with him because he'd eat lunch with the sinners and uncool kids. You don't win over souls through condemnation. Hopefully we can agree that outrageous prejudice, hate, and fear cause far more problems than anything else.

A Christian should believe that everyone (including themselves) is a sinner. Getting high and mighty and self-righteous is hypocritical and leads to the horrible reputation that Christianity has in general. We're called to love everyone more than ourselves. That seems like a pretty decent rule outside of religious contexts.

• Members

I said "five or six" people you ran with my quote, so I logically followed your quote. Anyway, that is neither here nor there.

All I did was say that the Bible says that a man should not lie with another man in the way that a man lies with a woman. Go ahead and look it up if you so desire. The best arguments I've ever witnessed between Christians and atheists was when an atheist knew more Biblical scripture than the Christian. Knowledge is power!

As for the comment about Jesus and homosexuals, yes He absolutely hung out with them. The Jewish rulers were none too happy with him because he'd eat lunch with the sinners and uncool kids. You don't win over souls through condemnation. Hopefully we can agree that outrageous prejudice, hate, and fear cause far more problems than anything else.

A Christian should believe that everyone (including themselves) is a sinner. Getting high and mighty and self-righteous is hypocritical and leads to the horrible reputation that Christianity has in general. We're called to love everyone more than ourselves. That seems like a pretty decent rule outside of religious contexts.

• Members

• Members
Just wondering - why not?

Why do I not believe dinosaurs evolved into birds? I do not think there is any proof that one type of animal produces a different type of animal. Dogs produce dogs ... they may "evolve" different traits (micro evolution) but they are still dogs. Through selective breeding we have produced all kinds of dogs.

I love dinosaurs and have since I was a kid. I remember from way back when the "bird-hip" vs "lizard-hip", "hollow bone" vs "solid bone", etc. Now there is evidence that some raptors may have had feathers. Interesting. Can I explain that? Nope. I can't explain a Platypus either. A mammal that lays eggs? Has some webbing in it's feet I think. Has what looks like a "bill"! Huh? What's up with that? Is it a four-legged hairy duck? Is it evolving? Maybe it just is what it is ... a platypus.

So, I think evolution is what it is ... a theory. I'm not bashing people who belive in it and defend it. I disagree with it.

I still like dinosaurs though :)

• Members

yeeeeeeeshhhhh:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

look, a lot of this argument is specious, because it invokes a lot of tension on both sides of the coin. The non-Christians here, for some reason, feel a need to denigrate, and the Christians here feel a need to consistently preach.

You both tend to cancel each other out, while sounding like morons.

Atheists get bent out of shape because they feel Christians, or Catholics are mindless nits who have no problem telling the world, in no uncertain terms, how to behave. Often they do it in very condescending ways. This is fact.

Atheists hear this and feel put upon to defend, and then resort to calling names. This is fact too, as supported by numerous posts and threads, past and present.

Theres such an absolute lack of respect on BOTH sides of the argument.Actually, why is it even an argument? Believe what you want, or dont.

• Members

I enjoy the vulgarity of atheists.

And I also note you never hear more childish insults than those against Coulter.

are you serious.. ? she spews childish and insane insults constantly.. and Atheists generally have to get vulgar to overcome the "faith" argument.. you can't reason with somebody that believes in a giant space man in the sky that needs you to worship him to overcome his insecurities. You can't reason with those people.. you have to get their attention and then sneak in a valid point.. that requires a mental jolt of some sort to interrupt their programmed responses.

• Members

are you serious.. ? she spews childish and insane insults constantly.. and Atheists generally have to get vulgar to overcome the "faith" argument.. you can't reason with somebody that believes in a giant space man in the sky that needs you to worship him to overcome his insecurities. You can't reason with those people.. you have to get their attention and then sneak in a valid point.. that requires a mental jolt of some sort to interrupt their programmed responses.

Why do you have to reason with them? whats the point? I mean, if thats what they believe, what do you care? If they all think your going to hell, so be it. Again, if you dont believe in hell, you probably dont have anything to worry about.

You just called God a "spaceman in the sky". Other than the fact that its a bit rude and insulting to a lot of people here who happen to worship that spaceman, I cant understand why anybody who isnt Christian would care.

Seriously. What Valid Point do you have to make that would require you to go Vulgar to get said point across? I believe in God. You dont. Whats your argument other than the fact that you just dont believe? My argument is that I choose to believe. You cant prove he doesnt exist, just as I cant prove he does. Do you really feel qualified to school people who do believe?

It shouldnt really come down to that. If you dont want to believe keep it to yourself. If you do believe, keep it to yourself.

You'll notice I'm coming down on BOTH sides here. I personally choose to believe in God. I dont give a {censored} if you dont, and dont think your going to hell for it either. I would simply prefer that you not call me and the rest of the billion or so Catholics on this planet idiots for believing in something.

• Members

I'm kinda surprised at the number of bigots here.

If this level of vituperation were directed at, say, black people, everyone would rightly pile on and demand greater tolerance and inclusiveness. Diversity, even.

I guess those things only count when you happen to agree with the ridiculed minority.

Too bad! Inclusiveness for me, but not for thee. And here I thought a new age had dawned.

Anyway, more evidence (where none was needed) why folks don't look to drummers for theological insights.

Archived