Pearl Optimounts

cdawg

• Members

im gonna go against the flow on this one.

while the optimounts are nice, i really love my yamaha YESS mounts. i get plenty of sustain and isolation and they are much more maneuverable and much easier to maneuver. if you dont like the idea of drilling, then you can always use optimounts or regular pearl ISS mounts with the yamaha mounting hardware (i think). check it out!

• Members

I use 'em.

Generally speaking, the various RIMS mounts let the drums sustain a smidge more than the optimounts, while (as you say) the optis do not bounce around, they're nice and solid.

I also find virtually all of the RIMS mounts to be hideously ugly, but that's me.

I don't have first hand experience with the other exotic mounts, so I don't know how they compare with optis.

One thing when using optimounts: they don't come with instructions, just pictograms on the box. Those pictograms seem to tell you to press the two halves of the mount tightly over the lugs of the drum as you tighten the two halves together. However, the Pearl guys leave a little slack by keeping the two halves further apart than this. This noticably increases resonance. Leave about 1/4" of space between the rubber grommets and the lugs when you tighten the two halves together. Works great.

• Members

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I've never really thought RIMS were all that attractive either. Ran across the Optis online and thought they might be the way to go. I'm building a "custom classic," and looks are a concern to an extent. Plus, I'm running a 15" so I really didn't want that heavy drum bouncing too much.

• Members

The fit is more or less universal per standard drum depths. There is no diameter axis as such. IOW whether you have an 8x8 or an 8x12, you use an 8 inch mount. Lug spacing can be an issue so ask if you're not sure.

actually, looking to use it on a 12x15, SD converted to a tom. that's why i asked. can't remember where i read that someone was buying them for a different dimension than they were using, IDK.

• Members

I'd say stay away from ISS, they can be a tuning nightmare, as you would expect from the design.

Here's the lowdown on Optimount sizes:

When you're figuring what mount to use on drums that didn't come with them, you have to consider both the depth of the drum and how many lugs it has relative to its diameter. If you meet both criteria it should work, unless you're talking power toms or some such.

Mount..................Depth

OPT-0708.............7-8"

OPT-0910.............9-10"

OPT-1112.............11-12"

OPT-1314.............13-14"

OPT-1516.............15-16"

Diameter.....Number of lugs

8"..............5

10"............6

12"............6

13"............6

14"............8

15"............8

16"............8

Optis can also be bent to fit 8" 4-lug toms and 14" 6-lug toms.

• Members

Since everybody wants to minimize hardware on the shell (I personally can't tell the difference between one mount or another), why hasn't anyone produced/marketed a system of tom mounts that is similar to that of concert basses, where the drum is literally suspended?

Also, why doesn't anyone get so nit-picky with cymbals? Sure, there are some rubber felt-substitutions that are supposed to be better, but you don't have a forum post every other month on those.

• Members

thanks drumtechdad, i really haven't found complete info on those mounts anywhere. plus, pearl doesn't have any online resources (that i could find for those mounts,) so i appreciate it!

Archived