OCDP X-Series snare?

MattACaster

• Members

I was looking at snares the other day. Pearl Masters Custom for 2 and a half or so, PDP with wood hoops, similarly cheap. That OCDP looks interesting. What's up with the no posted dimensions though?

There is a 13x7 and a 14x6.5. Not sure which one I want...

I still have no idea what kind of snare sound I'm looking for figured this might be a cheap way to figure out if I like deep ones. :facepalm:

• Members

I'd take the standard 6.5 x 14. It's my favorite size - the rimshots have more body than shallower drums.

Diameter wise anything less than 14" brings up stick control issues as well as taking the pitch higher than I like. Depends on the player though. A guy near me uses a 10 x 6 as a primary snare and he gets it to go from old jazz to hard rock no problem. Think I'll go check those snares out. :thu:

• Members

OCDP used to omit snare beds. They claimed it reduced snare buzz as well as whatever effect it had on rimshots (IMO the only use their market has for snare drums) and backbeats. Somebody here had the opposite effect with a bedless snare. I'd buy a variety of those 'steal' snares and hope for the best.

Found those dimension specs. Fine print. :freak:

• Members

There is a 13x7 and a 14x6.5. Not sure which one I want...

I still have no idea what kind of snare sound I'm looking for figured this might be a cheap way to figure out if I like deep ones.
:facepalm:

Yer in Chicago? The cheap way to figure out if you like deep ones is to go to a shop and play some.

Buying and selling snare drums until you find one you like is the long way around the barn.

• Members

I haven't inspected one of these up close, but I wrote off OCDP's high end snares after playing a few and finding them to be ridiculous. The high end stuff I saw didn't have beds, but since this drum is made in a factory overseas, I can't say for sure how they are making it.

Archived