just wondering...

cdawg

• Members

if anyone had the latest on kits, percussion, styles, and practice tips for deep groovin'?

Me personally? I'd use a 4 pc. kit with a 22" kick. "deep groovin" to me means that you wouldn't be doing anything fast on the kick anyway, so the response from a 22" or larger would be fine.

As far as styles, I'd go for blues, country, or (Heaven forbid) disco.

Practice tips? Play along to slow, simple (drumwise) tunes. Understand that 'groove' isn't necessarily something you think about, it's more about feeling it. Try to find stuff that has tasty bass guitar work - that should help you find that feeling. One of my favorites is "A Little More Time" by James Taylor. Real nice groove!

my opinion.

next!

• Members

my 2cents, FWIW

kits - yamaha stage custom birch. all birch and affordable! i really dig the sound of this kit (obviously, otherwise i wouldnt have bought it.) rockin the 4 piece, 10, 14, 20 and depending on my mood, 13-14 snare.

percussion - i want to attempt to build a cajon, and match it with a 16" kick, 12" hats, piccolo snare, conga, and my other random percussion toys. would be a nice set up IMO.

styles - jocular metal is becoming popular these days. steel panther and psychostick are pretty hilarious. as far as what im into, i like playing everything i can. my favs are blues, jazz, fusion, and med-hard rock.

practice tips - get a teacher! no book, dvd, or otherwise can do what lessons with an experienced instructor can. with that said, there are books and dvds that i think will help you supplement your lessons. they are as follows. books: stick control, portraits in rhythm, advanced techniques for the modern drummer, essential styles for the drummer and bassist. dvds: jojo mayers secret weapons for the modern drummer, tommy igoes essential grooves, mike portnoy: in constant motion.

• Members

Kits: don't get your question, but My Premier Gennies do a fine job .

Percussion: be more specific. I lick windows on short buses

Styles: Blues, (for me) Tinsley Ellis, Dave Hole (Aussie), Walter Trout, BB King, John Mayall, Clapton, Trower, Little Walter to name a few. (good lord DW, DISCO!!!!!!/???? EAT SOME PINEAPPLE!)

Deep groovin: have her place her legs/feet on your shoulders, oh wait, never mind........:facepalm:

• Members

the woo. saw fleck and crew at the u of wyo. they brought the house down then hung around to bull{censored} with anyone who wanted to. i talked to vic about his silly low action on his basses and he just laughed. he said, "keeps a lazy man from workin' too hard!" lazy is not the word that come to mind when i think of wooten.

• Members

ok, this may start a wildfire, but it's been eating me up.

you all know that vid with vinnie, steve and dave, right? the big show-down. anyway, that really got me thinking about weckl. he has massive amounts of silly skills, no doubt, but i'm just not feelin' it from him. does anybody else get this? vinnie and steve just lay it down all over the place. and i don't just mean in that specific vid. in recording situations, etc. maybe i'm just not a fusion guy, but i thought you could still be fusion and have feel?

enlighten me...

• Members

ok, this may start a wildfire, but it's been eating me up.

you all know that vid with vinnie, steve and dave, right? the big show-down. anyway, that really got me thinking about weckl. he has massive amounts of silly skills, no doubt, but i'm just not feelin' it from him. does anybody else get this? vinnie and steve just lay it down all over the place. and i don't just mean in that specific vid. in recording situations, etc. maybe i'm just not a fusion guy, but i thought you could still be fusion and have feel?

enlighten me...

Weckl might take some ear training. Out in the open, he might be a little hard to grasp. Listen to Tower of Inspiration (all in 4) and Island Magic (all in 7) off the Master Plan CD. No hand holding on these cuts but the full band tracks are proof. Odd groupings, non cliche inflection, and it mostly all swings. Quite a combination.

• Members

Weckl might take some ear training. Out in the open, he might be a little hard to grasp. Listen to Tower of Inspiration (all in 4) and Island Magic (all in 7) off the Master Plan CD. No hand holding on these cuts but the full band tracks are proof. Odd groupings, non cliche inflection, and it mostly all swings. Quite a combination.

fair enough, i will check it out when i can. just so you understand that i'm no complete outsider, my old instructor was a huge weckl fan. he could, pretty much, hang with that stuff. and, sure, i was plenty impressed. back then, i was a metal dude. i swallowed my pride and played the fusion stuff (to the best of my abilities,) and learned to groove with "advanced funk studies." my teacher was trying to force me to be well-rounded, but i fought back, as most punks do. i did absorb some good stuff and kept an open mind, especially about music.

with that said, i have an appreciation for drummers who fit in the pocket and don't overplay. i know there is a time for flash, and that's cool (i'm a big fan of the new and old mars volta, for example.) but weckl doesn't seem the type to play a solid beat with little dressing, as a point. no?

Archived