OT: In memory of Tighthead Threads

twosticks

• Members

yah man, good to see yer around still.

Shiner Bock is to me the Yuengling of Texas. Not a medal-winner, but a fine go-to beer.

I like anything from the Mendocino brewery and the folks at the Stone brewery are brewing Gods.

you ever tried the shiner black lager?? I've always been curious about it but never had the chance to try it.

and i would have to say that newcastle brown ale is my personal favorite, being english and all. :thu:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, we should have a good booze thread floatin' around regularly. shocked we don't more often. when you mentioned texas (twosticks,) it brought another good brew to mind:
shiner bock
. actually hard to get in some parts (east coast,) but i've found some places with it here. as for my late IPA, i've been on the good, but pricey
dogfish head
. any of their brews are pretty much a hit. easy on the 90 and 120 minute, tho. pretty high alcohol content. but, man, deeeelicious!

I have been very interested in trying shiner bock. I see it at just about every publix here in the area. Is it really strong? What is it similar to?

• Members

I have been very interested in trying shiner bock. I see it at just about every publix here in the area. Is it really strong? What is it similar to?

it's like a malty beer. not real bitter. easy to drink, but strong. for more "adventure" try a doppelbock. don't know if shiner makes one, but there are plenty out there. they're a little darker, a little stronger and a little more kick. don't pound 'em. (such as: st. victorious, pioneer, even sammy adams makes one, in a pinch.)

• Members

oh, realized i didn't answer your question. here, in pittsburgh, we have a seasonal st. nicholas bock that's pretty thick and meaty, but shiner's much lighter than that, saranac makes a bock that's available, but once again, much heavier. so, i'd say that shiner's a good place to start. smooth, good flavor, but it has some balls, man.:thu:

Archived