ot-wife is trying to kill meeee

cdawg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dammit cdawg, just quit the cigs. We lost our oldest daughter to lung cancer in 2006. She lived a healthy lifestyle, never smoked but got cancer anyway. Doctors don't know why. If you could've seen the hell she went through, you would throw those butts away without a thought. Two years of operations, radiation and chemo. Please quit. Don't let your loved have the possibilities of seeing you go through this. Good luck.

• Members

thanks dever, cutter, everyone.

here's the story, if you all care.

my mom was everything to me, from a young age, coming from a divorced family. she was a smoker, but quit when i was a teen. she quit when my sis started at the age of 16. the quit together at a place called smokenders. my sis started again, but moms never did. she always remarked about how she felt better and never regretted it. she wanted sis to quit, but never nagged. my other sis started in college and so did i.

after my divorce i moved back with her. it was good to be able to help her with the house. i remodeled a few rooms for her, we got along well. i met my current wife while i lived with her. they dug each other.

in aug 2006, moms was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. i didn't know much about it, but knew it was a bad one. she went through chemo and radiation for a while, but it spread too fast to matter. by november we all knew it wasn't going to work. we moved thanksgiving up 2 weeks, since she could still eat a little. by christmas, she could barely sit up by herself.

in december, and after many stays in the hospital, hospice care was left. she chose home care. my 2 sisters and i stepped up. we were trained by the nurses and cared for her through the holidays, administering meds, feeding and bathing her. by the end of dec, we were giving her iv's and changing her diapers.

on jan 2, 2007 i noticed her shallow breaths. i was next to her, watching tv and holding her hand. i made sure she knew that everyone she loved was taken care of and that she didn't have anything to worry about. 3:15 that morning she let go, literally ten minutes after i spoke to her.

less than a year later my son, emerson jacob was born, named after my mother, emma jean. that's enough of a reason to quit, believe me.

so, i've seen what cancer can do. she didn't go quietly, her last moments weren't gentle. i spare you the details, but i assure you, i'll remember it until i die. i think of it at least weekly, even still. i've wanted to quit smoking for years, even after visiting a friend's mom in the hospital, dying from lung cancer.

so, what the {censored} does it take? does it take a family member dying in front of you? does it take the realization that ciggies are purposely controlled for addiction? i really don't know. i just know that i don't want it anymore. and i hope like {censored}ing crazy i can quit.

• Members

Dude,

I wish ya all the best of luck, been fighting my own battle with the evil yellow leaf... Seen cancer way too many times in the last 7-8 years, although only 2 of those were tobacco related, one of them was cancer cause by, acid freakin reflux of all things.

Just another point of view for discussion, please don't take seriously.

Tobacco is NOT healthy, but people have to blame the illness on something, truth is, cancer happens naturally, it's the environment we live in, Nitrosamines, and viruses are in the dirt, in the food, the air, medicines, in our bodies, can't blame tobacco for everything. I googled the rise of cancer since the 60's, and compared it to the decline in tobacco use, the numbers don't match up.

It contributes to health problems, and cause conditions to which cancer develops no doubt, but it is not the cause, it's just a catalyst.

Just opinions, please take no offense, I discuss this topic with friends and family all the time.

• Members

thanks dever, cutter, everyone.

here's the story, if you all care.

my mom was everything to me, from a young age, coming from a divorced family. she was a smoker, but quit when i was a teen. she quit when my sis started at the age of 16. the quit together at a place called smokenders. my sis started again, but moms never did. she always remarked about how she felt better and never regretted it. she wanted sis to quit, but never nagged. my other sis started in college and so did i.

after my divorce i moved back with her. it was good to be able to help her with the house. i remodeled a few rooms for her, we got along well. i met my current wife while i lived with her. they dug each other.

in aug 2006, moms was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. i didn't know much about it, but knew it was a bad one. she went through chemo and radiation for a while, but it spread too fast to matter. by november we all knew it wasn't going to work. we moved thanksgiving up 2 weeks, since she could still eat a little. by christmas, she could barely sit up by herself.

in december, and after many stays in the hospital, hospice care was left. she chose home care. my 2 sisters and i stepped up. we were trained by the nurses and cared for her through the holidays, administering meds, feeding and bathing her. by the end of dec, we were giving her iv's and changing her diapers.

on jan 2, 2007 i noticed her shallow breaths. i was next to her, watching tv and holding her hand. i made sure she knew that everyone she loved was taken care of and that she didn't have anything to worry about. 3:15 that morning she let go, literally ten minutes after i spoke to her.

less than a year later my son, emerson jacob was born, named after my mother, emma jean. that's enough of a reason to quit, believe me.

so, i've seen what cancer can do. she didn't go quietly, her last moments weren't gentle. i spare you the details, but i assure you, i'll remember it until i die. i think of it at least weekly, even still. i've wanted to quit smoking for years, even after visiting a friend's mom in the hospital, dying from lung cancer.

so, what the {censored} does it take? does it take a family member dying in front of you? does it take the realization that ciggies are purposely controlled for addiction? i really don't know. i just know that i don't want it anymore. and i hope like {censored}ing crazy i can quit.

Then just do it. Those patches and e cig bull{censored} are just that. Throw them away, and find something to occupy you. Play more drums, do some drawing, video games are you BEST {censored}ing friend right now. Post on the forum more if it keeps you from thinking about it. Just DO IT. It's really simple. Drink alot of water, load up your ipod with good tunes and take walks.

• Members

Dude,

I wish ya all the best of luck, been fighting my own battle with the evil yellow leaf... Seen cancer way too many times in the last 7-8 years, although only 2 of those were tobacco related, one of them was cancer cause by, acid freakin reflux of all things.

Just another point of view for discussion, please don't take seriously.

Tobacco is NOT healthy, but people have to blame the illness on something, truth is, cancer happens naturally, it's the environment we live in, Nitrosamines, and viruses are in the dirt, in the food, the air, medicines, in our bodies, can't blame tobacco for everything. I googled the rise of cancer since the 60's, and compared it to the decline in tobacco use, the numbers don't match up.

It contributes to health problems, and cause conditions to which cancer develops no doubt, but it is not the cause, it's just a catalyst.

Just opinions, please take no offense, I discuss this topic with friends and family all the time.

true, true. my moms is proof of all of that. she was cig free for 25 years and it hit her anyway. not her lungs, so, no, can't blame smokes. i just know if i don't quit, i'll get the lung/throat kind and it'll be my own fault. can't die with that.

my mom taught me to live a certain way (she had a brain aneurysm that she fully recovered from.) she totally changed after that. she also taught me how to die. she did what she could to survive, but handled it with dignity when it was time. i would have cried like a bitch, with the pain she had to endure. she was stronger than anyone i've seen. that's what makes me wanna show my son what life is about.

• Members

damn dawg your moms story is heart wrenching,i watched my mother in law die from emphasema [sp ?] dragging around an oxygen tank constantly hacking and could'nt walk 5 feet without running out of breath. and my dumbass still lights up.
i damn sure dont want to deal with that so i'm going to give it another shot monday and talk to my doc about chantix.
the reason i say monday is because i have a big party at the house this weekend and i know i would fail.:facepalm:

• Members

i know, sat. that's why i asked, "what does it take?" it obviously doesn't take all of those things we went through, or we would have done it. it might take a coma, or something. boy, that {censored} has us good.

day 2 on the e-cig, and thing are going well, so far. yesterday was pretty smooth, i had only 5 cigs, down from a pack. probably hit the e-cig about a dozen times, or so. you can step down the nic content, so i can see needing less and less. i just have to try to break the habits of when i use. no more in the car. no more after food, etc. i know the mechanics of quitting, i think we all do. just the follow thru...

• Members

ok, still pretty strong. still haven't killed anyone yet. i was pretty frustrated last night, and had the headaches yesterday. i'm still smoking, but only a few a day. i've been milking the same pack since sunday (pretty good considering i was a pack/day.) i know i'm not hitting the e-cig like i should, since i'm getting the headaches. i pretty much duck into the bathroom at work when i feel a headache coming on. seems to work. still frustrating, but not nearly as bad as when i quit in the past.

i originally thought i was going to just keep the e-cig as a sub for the real cig, but i know i just want to kick all nic eventually. when i'm done with this pack (which will be today,) i'm gonna try to be done. help me stay the course, boys!!

• Members

dude ! dont buy another pack.

you've made it this far and remember in 3 days all the
nicotene will be out of your system
the rest is just habit.

SUCK IT UP ! i had to go caps on ya.

you can do it.

well, no. the e-cig keeps it in. but, at least i get to choose how much. i plan on only puffin' it when it gets to be too much for me.

thanks for the support, i need all i can get!

• Members

You want a response that you're not going to like? Ok...here ya go.

Are cigarettes addictive? Yes. Absolutely. So, does that mean they make you continue smoking them? Nope. Not at all. You are the only one who puts that cigarette in your mouth. You are the only one with your lighter in your hand. It may be an addiction, and it may be hard as hell to quit, but if you want to, you will. If you don't want to, you'll come on here and tell us you're going to try, then you'll start back up, shrug it off and say "oh, woe is me, I just couldn't shake it." And then you'll expect us to react with sympathy and an "awww, poor guy. He tried so hard."

Bull{censored}! Keep your money in your pocket and don't buy them. If you have friends who think it's funny to wave them in your face, tell them to {censored} off because they're not really friends. Find something to do every time you feel the craving. Go to the gym. Go to the grocery story. Jerk off. Play along to a Miley Cyrus song. Eat a radish. Do 10 jumping jacks. Pirouette. Draw a stick figure and give it a name. Do SOMETHING! Anything! Just don't smoke another cigarette and don't cry to us about it. We can't help you. It's your mouth, your fingers, your lungs. Take control.

• Members

Are cigarettes addictive? Yes. Absolutely. So, does that mean they make you continue smoking them? Nope. Not at all. You are the only one who puts that cigarette in your mouth. You are the only one with your lighter in your hand. It may be an addiction, and it may be hard as hell to quit, but if you want to, you will. If you don't want to, you'll come on here and tell us you're going to try, then you'll start back up, shrug it off and say "oh, woe is me, I just couldn't shake it." And then you'll expect us to react with sympathy and an "awww, poor guy. He tried so hard."

Bull{censored}! Keep your money in your pocket and don't buy them. If you have friends who think it's funny to wave them in your face, tell them to {censored} off because they're not really friends. Find something to do every time you feel the craving. Go to the gym. Go to the grocery story. Jerk off. Play along to a Miley Cyrus song. Eat a radish. Do 10 jumping jacks. Pirouette. Draw a stick figure and give it a name. Do SOMETHING! Anything! Just don't smoke another cigarette and don't cry to us about it. We can't help you. It's your mouth, your fingers, your lungs. Take control.

Cdawg, he's absolutely right. That's how I did it. His is the advice I wish I had given you.

• Members

wow. thanks, turd. truth is, when you're going through hell trying to do something hard, support is what you need. i'm not looking for someone to pick me up when i fall. just looking for a few people who i consider to be somewhat friends of mine to support me in something that's important to me. when someone here starts a new gig, buys a new kit, or anything, do we give them {censored} like that? no. we give them support.

you know what? {censored} it. i'm done. i came here for some support from some people i consider friends. if i post here any more, it'll be about drums, that's it. no more ot. you {censored}ing win. you guys support each other all day about gigs, drums, relationships, etc. you {censored}ers even supported each other with quitting smoking. this is what i get? bull{censored}, turd. i wasn't looking for anything other than understanding. when you try to kick anything, it's good to have some kind of support.

• Members

Proof that smoking = mind impairment.

• Members

hey dawg, turds words are true yet also motivational,dont get bent out of shape about it use it as strength.
consider it tough love/intervention if you will from a friend that does care and called it the way he sees it.
i very much support your effort and do consider you a friend of mine and will be here to support you through what i know is very hard as i have failed myself and i want to see you whip its ass.
as far as the ot topics,we all need advice in the walk of life no matter what the subject is. probably the reason i hang around so much.
i do think your {censored} IT response is related to what your going through,frustrated due to the jones, maybe im wrong but that does'nt sound like the dawg i know.
hang in there buddy.:wave:

• Members

Are cigarettes addictive? Yes. Absolutely. So, does that mean they make you continue smoking them? Nope. Not at all. You are the only one who puts that cigarette in your mouth. You are the only one with your lighter in your hand. It may be an addiction, and it may be hard as hell to quit, but if you want to, you will. If you don't want to, you'll come on here and tell us you're going to try, then you'll start back up, shrug it off and say "oh, woe is me, I just couldn't shake it." And then you'll expect us to react with sympathy and an "awww, poor guy. He tried so hard."[/QUOTE]

ok, i think i'm less pissed, now.

listen, i'm not real sure what you were aiming at with this, but the above is what i'm pissed at.

i came here for support. this is what someone who's addicted needs, ok? nothing in my past posts made it seem that i was setting myself up for the half-assed attempt. your above statements are making assumptions about me, and what i may do if i don't make it in my attempt to quit. is that support? i think not.

if you have no word of support, kindly say nothing. you brought up nothing i don't know about smoking. yes, it's hard to quit. yes, i'm the one who smokes. and, yes, i'm the one turning to friends for support. if you can't be one of those friends with kind words of support, instead of assumptions, well idk. i can't keep you off this thread, but i hope common sense will prevail.

Archived