Sad day for Luddies!!

twosticks

• Members

Do we still need unions these days? I don't feel oppressed by my employer.

When I was a kid (I am not that far beyond that point yet) I worked at Kroger and inadvertently joined the union. Paid my $6/paycheck and it didn't do jack for me until the last month of my employment. I basically stopped showing up regularly because I had a new job that paid better. It was the terrible logic of a 17 year old. Kroger would not fire me because I was a union member. That is just silliness. I deserved to be fired multiple times.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are a double edged sword now-a-days. We still need unions if management starts acting like idiots as they sometimes do, but the union umbrella also covers up some of the poor wormankship that tends to happen because you're not worried about being fired from a job. Just look at how the auto industry out priced themselves into almost non existence. And I used to speak from management side in an industry completely structured with unions...commercial printing. I dealt with it every day unfortunately.

• Members

But in Ludwig's case, when they lost ground in the 80's to the TAMAs and YAMAHAs, they never really made it back...and Rogers and Slingy fell by the wayside as well. If they can't beat, then there motto probably is lets just go for the green and see if we can get some market share back

• Members

I now pay very close attention to where products are made, this includes American companies that produce offshore. Since I was laid off that is.

I never liked Unions, and thought they had out lived their usefulness, until I was laid off after working 23 years straight. My company made 8 billion that quarter and decided to hire a bunch of youngsters. I was second in seniority.

The problem is with the corporate CEOs who could care less about anything but their own personal paycheck. It has become time to put them back in their place.

• Members

what an interesting choice of words...instrument shaped objects...

I didn't make it up. It's the very phrase which put Brook Mays retail stores out of business when the company applied it to First Act brand pieces being sold by Wal Mart. That's the very context I mean it in, as well -- no disrespect intended to Ludwig.

• Members
Brace yourselves gents, it's not only at walmart. Costco, BJ's wholesale, Sam's Club, Price Club...they all have them as well as all the musician's friend spinoffs. The reviews from the general consumers are that they are a good bang for the buck starter kit for the beginner. Remember what PT Barnum and H L Menchen said..."No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people." Branum did the American people thing...

They are definitely not MY Luddies for sure, but Ludwig can't seem to gain any foothold on the drum market any more. WFL will be rolling over in his grave for sure...
:rolleyes::facepalm:

Costco drums ... cheaper than Walmart.

On a related note, I was thinking of starting a cover band called "Kirkland Signature" and we'd only use gear we could buy at Costco.

• Members

Speaking of unions, yes we need them, yes they need regulation as well as the corporations. Regulation and control is key.. Business police, keeping the peace, protect and serve..

Corporations play dirty, if they had they're way, and free run of the whole system like some want, we would all owe our souls to the company stores.. Unions are no different than the corporations they coexist with.

Archived