So let's say I want to record my kit ...

xtranoise

• Members

... and let's say I have a mixer and microphones already. How do I get that mix to my PC? And will the software see each channel of the mixer or just the final mix? The reality is I do not have the mixer or mics yet, trying to decide if I want mixer/mics or just PC Interface/mics. I can make a case for either but favor the mixer/mics combo.

• Members

I had the same problem.... i purchased a Xitel Inport Delux at my local radioshack for like 60 bucks. its supossed to be used for takeing cassette tape and putting on the computer but i dont use it for that. wat i do is mic my drums then connect the mics to my board, my board has 2 aux out jacks i connect the red and white cables into them then run that to the gray box u get, then from there via usb (included) into my computer. I use Mixcraft as my recording software. its important if u get a mixer to make sure it as as may inputs as mics. For Mics i use Shure SM57 (6) they're 100 bucks a mike but they sound amazing on toms, bass, and snares. simple, easy, and sounds REALLY GREAT good crystal clear tone and not distored at all

• Members

i've wanted that tascam for so long...

never have the moneyz.

I need mics too!

I've got the knowledge of how to do it all and the DAW, but no freaking stuff!

Same here. The Tascam has been in my wish list for a while. I am broke after buying some decent cymbals...lol.

A cheap mixer can be another alternative, but you lose the flexibility of post editing and mixing. With a mixer, you only get one chance with one track...bummer, but it can still work.

• Members

I think the new Zoom is a stand alone digital recorder, and mixer, and interface, and control surface all in one I think..

I have the Tascam 1641 and it does a fantastic job, no one problem in the 1.5 years I've owned it.. I had an Alesis io (the big one) and it fried within 3 months. Tascam is a good value IMO.

• Members

You need this:

That's the EXACT unit my band waited for to get before we started recording. So far it's done an awesome job. I just started a thread on what mics to go for with my kit too. Looks like SM57s are pretty popular for recording the snare and toms.

Seems to be a pretty common approach now.

• Members

Let's back up here. Before you start getting your heart set on 1 particular product, here's what you need to know:

-You have mics and a mixer.

-You need an interface to get the signals into your computer. Common ones include the M-box, Digi002 or 003, Firepod and lots of others.

-You need editing software such as Pro Tools, Logic, or any of the many others.

-The combination of the software and the interface will determine whether you have one mic recorded to one channel or whether you will be stuck with just a single channel for the whole mix.

Do a little poking around in the newb posts on the recording forum. There are a TON of options. Some of it depends largely on your budget. You can do this for under $100 or for over $1 million.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. Turdadactyl thanks for pointing me toward the other forum and giving specifics on interfaces. My quandary, as it were, is that I want to listen to tracks from my guitarist on an MP3 player through headphones but also mic the kit so I can hear it, maybe add a click or purcussion loop and then also record parts to send back to the guitarist. For "pure recording" the interface/mics/software combo makes sense, for practicing to tracks the mixer/mics combo would be the way to go. So I want to practice, record parts to study my sound and playing style, record parts to add to other recordings and put some stuff on YouTube ... that's all, I just want to do twelve different things, sound like a pro and spend $100 to do it :facepalm:

• Members

Thanks for the replies. Turdadactyl thanks for pointing me toward the other forum and giving specifics on interfaces. My quandary, as it were, is that I want to listen to tracks from my guitarist on an MP3 player through headphones but also mic the kit so I can hear it, maybe add a click or purcussion loop and then also record parts to send back to the guitarist. For "pure recording" the interface/mics/software combo makes sense, for practicing to tracks the mixer/mics combo would be the way to go. So I want to practice, record parts to study my sound and playing style, record parts to add to other recordings and put some stuff on YouTube ... that's all, I just want to do twelve different things, sound like a pro and spend $100 to do it
:facepalm:

You can do a lot of that with a Pro Tools M-Box setup...for not much more than you're talking. There are other options, but I'm a Pro Tools guy, so I'll talk from that perspective.

I use the Digi002. That gives me 8 simultaneous inputs. I can run something ridiculous like 64 channels at once in the playback. The m-box (I think) gives you 4 inputs, but you get essentially the same software.

Pro Tools (and all the other major software packages) provide click tracks, so you're covered there. Just create a track with a click, have the guitarist record, throw your headphones on, play along to the recorded track and nail down your part. Hit record again and lay down your drum part. Voila...you're set.

The process will be similar no matter what software you use.

It's also worth noting that no matter what software you use, you SHOULD be able to export the tracks as WAV files (individually or collectively) so they can be imported into other software if someone else needs to work on them or if you want to put them into a more sophisticated program somewhere.

• Members

How do I get that mix to my PC?

There are a lot of options.

will the software see each channel of the mixer or just the final mix?

This depends on the option you choose. If you go for a standalone interface with preamps etc, note that a lot of them have an internal DSP for monitoring inputs, and you can set it up to monitor certain inputs (DSP mixer) as well as certain outputs while you record. Perhaps this will be your best option.

I cannot recommend the tascam unit that was linked in the thread, I don't trust tascam as their stuff tends to {censored} the bed. I recommend instead the MOTU 8pre. Solid, simple little device. 8 tracks in, with preamps (that have quite a bit of gain), and DSP mixer. This, and a few mics, and I'm sure it will do everything you want.

There are also products that are like a mixer and interface built into one, such as the Alesis Multimix.

Going the mixer/mics route is a lot more expensive, especially if you want to record discreet tracks to your DAW, and also setup gets extremely complicated when you want to monitor tracks and things like that. Cabling will get very expensive very fast, unless you want to premix everything and just dump it to your sound card as a stereo mix.

How is my rig setup? All mics are run into a 24 channel mixer, and each channel's insert is run to an input/output of my audio interface (MOTU 828 mk3 with an alesis ADAT expander, for 16 simultaneous in/out). The 828's DSP mixer is setup to route each input to it's designated output for monitoring (that I then control with the board as I normally would), and during mixdown my DAW (Adobe Audition 3) is set up to play back each track through it's designated track on the board, and the stereo mix gets dumped to another stereo pair of inputs on the 828. It took a while to set it up, but it makes tracking band practices and mixing down quick demos extremely fast and easy.

• Members

I would like to also recommend the PreSonus FireStudio Project. It's been GREAT for me. 8 ins. Pres. Nice sound. Doesn't even need drivers for Mac!
:)

I use 2 of them.

Channels 1-7 for shells on #1

Channels 1-3 for phantom-powered overheads (2) and hi-hat(1)

Channels 5-6 for guitar

Channels 7-8 for loop around from outputs 1-2 on #1, for use with ripping audio off internet (youtube namely), so I can play the files at band practices, or take a snippet for band approval, which if we do, he has a rapsodomy account and can get a legit copy. :)

Works great on Win7x64Pro

Archived