anyone go to the atlanta institute of music?

tmetaler

• Members

so after two years of college, some dabbling in acting, and the recent picking up of... erm... sublime habits :cop:... ive finally said "fuggit" and re-realized that music is the only thing that im going to be okay with doing the rest of my lovely life (which i dont think any of you will disagree with :thu:) SOOOOOO after speaking with several contacts at various colleges and looking at cirriculums, i REALLY doubt im going to get the training i need, not to mention WANT from any 4 year collegiate program. enter the atlanta institute of music- musicians training musicians to be better not to mention more successful musicians (or at least thats what ive surmised from looking at the cirriculum and talking with a couple graduates).

but i digress...

my point is- has anyone on here been there, or somewhere like there in your neck of the woods?

• Members

While I did not go to AIM, I do know a bunch of people who did and at least one good friend who graduated from AIM as a guitarist. Here's my dime on the subject:

The music program itself is good and teaches you anything you want to learn. It is also a good recruiting ground for established bands looking to

fill a gap when a member leaves.

All that being said, most of the AIM graduates I know are waiters or work at Guitar Center. My friend in particular joined a popular local/regional band that did pretty well, including some regional, national, and USO tours. But the band never really broke big. He's back to waiting tables....and this particular individual is quite smart.

I'm just sayin...

DB

• Members

I toured the place and found out that it will prepare you to participate in the mainstream music biz but does not offer an integration program (internship, externship, etc.). I didn't enroll because there breadth of musical training was limited to rock, pop, hip hop, and some jazz and I already play those styles and have done so without AIM. Like drumsdb I know a bunch of cats who went there and are now in retail and two who whore themselves put on craigslist with the emphasis of "AIM Graduate" in the posting title.

That being said, take the tour and find outnfor yourself. You will get a good bit of training and knowledge to get you started on the road to being in the music industry but you're on your own afterwards.

Archived