Drum Triggers To a MIDI Keyboard

• Members

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a drummer - my son plays drums in our 3-piece band. I did a quick search of the forum for this topic but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for, nor if it's possible.

Can drum triggers be used to launch pre-programmed chords or chord progressions on a MIDI keyboard? For example, we play a song which I think could use a strings background - uses maybe a 3 - 4 chord change.

Could that be pre-programmed and be each chord be triggered by the drummer?

Thanks!

-Samson

• Members

Long answer: absolutely.

If the keyboard will do one note chords, then it's just a matter of triggering a midi interface to send the correct note number.

If the keyboard wont do one note chords there are still interfaces that will, and respond to midi and or trigger input.

Many drum machines these days will do exactly what you describe as is and may even function as master to the keyboard although this last feature isn't very common.

• Members

Actually, for simple arrangements it might be as easy as reaching over and pressing the appropriate key or even using the sustain pedal and actually fingering the the string pad. You could also shell out for a drum module that'll do the synth sequences and have at it.

• Members

I did a bit of unofficial research and read some online reviews. Made a run to the local Guitar Center and checked out the different options they had on the floor as well. The ability to introduce my own samples seemed to be the "easiest" way to go. I also gave a brief look at the Alesis sample pad but the SPD-S just seemed to be more in line with what I needed.

Any experience with this type of product?

• Members

I've poked at one set up with crash, ride, and something else across the top ribs. All impromptu and I had no clue how to get inside it. Playing wise, my chops aren't picky about pad surfaces and the ribs themselves are pretty cushy. If it captures your samples the way you want 'em, I cant see any problems working it in to a drum kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived