Cross-stick Head Wear

Hope Drums

• Members

Do any of you guys have problems wearing off the coating from your snare head from playing cross-stick (aka rim knocks/clicks etc)?

I play a LOT of country and blues and use the cross-stick about as much as a head strike...I'm on my 2nd head in two months and keep wearing a spot where I rest the butt of the stick on the head.

I was wondering if any of you guys had the same problem? Did you find a solution?

I'm going to experiment with the Evans kevlar patch and the clear patch in that spot to see how it effects the sound. I'm not wearing the head anywhere else, just where the butt rests.

• Members

Nope. I also play the same type of music that requires many a rimclick. Have never had a coating fail at the point where the stick rests on the head.

I should say I flip my stick when playing cross-stick patterns, w/ the tip of the stick resting on the head and the butt end of the stick strikin' the rim. I find that gives a very nice, clear, woody click.

• Members

I should say I flip my stick when playing cross-stick patterns, w/ the tip of the stick resting on the head and the butt end of the stick strikin' the rim. I find that gives a very nice, clear, woody click.

:thu: that certainly sounds the best, I use both ways depending on tune. Never had or heard of that problem.

• Members

I've never had this problem before (20+ years of playing), wondering if something's changed with the G1s....I may just have to flip it over, that's what I do when I play traditional, just not when I play matched for ease. May have to change my technique a bit!

Carpathian, thanks for the offer! I actually have 2-3 of them in my junk box, I don't use them either, but I hate to throw them away when I get a new head in......wife calls it junk collecting, I call it a back-up plan in dented head emergency!

• Members

ive been cross sticking for the past 20 years. never had the coating disappear. I don,t rotate unless I need more volume. The past 10 years ive been using evans heads.......but never the g1 for a snare. Right now have a genera dry and have noticed no problems.

• Members

Interesting. I have never heard of this problem/issue. I cross stick in the blues band, but I don't place enough pressure on the head end to rub of coating. Flipping does sound better so I do do that. Can't believe it's such an issue that your thinking of putting a patch on. JMO

• Members

Can't believe it's such an issue that your thinking of putting a patch on. JMO

This is a relatively new issue, never had the problem before. Did it on the stock Taye head on my GoKit (chalked it up to being a stock head) and now starting to show signs of wear on my G1. I actually have 3-4 different 14" heads coming in so I can experiment with sound, the Genera happens to be one of them, maybe that'll help.

I see to run into "odd" issues....was using PM727s (japanese oak) stick supposed to be the strongest....they kept breaking straight just at the neck...PM sent me 4 new pairs, same thing.....

Switched to 420s (hickory) which aren't supposed to be as durable as the oak....I've been playing on them for 2 years now I guess and have broken 1, some of them are so wore down that the neck looks like a pencil.....

• Members

This is a relatively new issue, never had the problem before.
Did it on the stock Taye head on my GoKit (chalked it up to being a stock head) and now starting to show signs of wear on my G1
. I actually have 3-4 different 14" heads coming in so I can experiment with sound, the Genera happens to be one of them, maybe that'll help.

Switched to 420s (hickory) which aren't supposed to be as durable as the oak....I've been playing on them for 2 years now I guess and have broken 1, some of them are so wore down that the neck looks like a pencil.....

I like Hickory too.

I could see the Taye stock head coating failing, any stock head for that matter but it's still odd. When you say signs of wear on your G1, wear as in the coating is coming off, of an indentation of some sorts. I'ma cross stick tonight at rehearsal a bunch and see if I can wear some off for {censored}s and giggles. If ya see TeeDrum on here, ask him if he knows any country playa's that have this problem.

Are the butt ends of you sticks "open grained"? maybe just take some 150 grit sandpaper and smooth them out a bit. Just a thought.

marko

• Members

It's just a wear mark. Come on, just play your drums. This is topic-worthy?

It's like asking, "when I hit my drumheads, it makes marks. Should I change my heads after I play my drums?"

This topic is messed up two-fold. First, that you are getting marks on your drumheads (no kidding), second, you are getting them by playing side-stick?? You are thinking about putting a patch on the head....because it leaves marks?

Are you serious??? You got me then. Big time. God I'm a schmuck!

• Members

you are getting marks on your drumheads (no kidding), thinking about putting a patch on the head....because it leaves marks?

If it were just marks, no biggie, but I'm eating through the coating.

Marko, I think you may have hit it on the head! I checked some of my sticks and some of them are rough on the butt! (okay neither of those sentences sounded right) Don't know why I didn't think about that, but that's probably the cause! I think this latest batch of sticks is a little rougher than normal on the end!

Archived