Richie Hayward Travels On...

flemtone

• Members

Sorry to hear about his passing. I've always loved his playing and consider "Waiting For Columbus" to be one of my favorite albums. His wife posted a message to everyone:

"Hello everyone x

The long journey to finding out the why and the what, became clear to us all yesterday.

Richie had Adult respiratory fibrosis, for many many years.

Left untreated, this disease compromises the lung tissue.

He then got pneumonia last week. Which with his history of lung damage, made him unable to successfully overcome it.

His body, as a response to the pneumonia, developed ARDS, Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome, which means for most who get it, automatic life support systems. This would be one condition, he was looking at never being without.

He fought a long battle with liver, and all that comes with that.....and quite successfully managed to get it in pretty good shape, with his name going on the list as he was now ready and able as of Sept 1st.

His additional battle with lung disease however.....he did not manage to win.

He passed away in my arms, at 11:45 am this morning.

There could never be more love between two people x

As I was helping him to continue on his journey, I asked him to let me know every day of my life, that I am not alone...and he is still with me.

I told him to be the wind that blows my dress up at the corner,...or be the wave that splashes me when I don't want to get wet....just be with me, and let me know he is there, and I am not going to be without him.

I told him that our love is stronger than these bodies,...and this life xo

And we will be together forever x

I want to thank you all, for your love and rainbows x

It meant the world to us both, on this beautiful journey Richie and I were so blessed to have shared xoxo

Richie Hayward.....you are my champion xoxo

I miss you already xoxo"

Here are a couple rare videos of Richie and Lowell from their pre Little Feat days.

clTAZdT7LFo

CcAX3tymeCQ&feature=related

• Members

I wrote this on another forum....Richie was a big influence on me. He had a great feel with lots of nuance...right up my alley!!

I am truley saddened. One of my top 5 influences. Oh man.

I discovered him first when Shakin and Stirred was released by Robert Plant. I said to myself "who is this new guy Richie Hayward???" lol Of course, I found that he had been drumming for years with Little Feat and I dove head first into the band starting with "Waiting for Columbus" woah, what an album.

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Robert+Plant:Trouble+Your+Money:1100417:s28104979.8109999.2214928.0.2.55%2Cstd_0

Here is a little sample of "Trouble Your Money" (get it and download it!)...I play this beat to this very day...people always seems to respond to it when I play it.."thats not me, thats Richie Hayward!" and they usually say, "Richie who??" It's a shame that more people don;t know about him...well, us drummers do. I love everything about this tune...the main side stick/HH beat, the timbale figures, the end where he is grooving his ass off, and what I call the "big Neil Peart fill" and Richies patented cymbal work. Just incredible. I am so bummed, I can't even tell you. His wife sounds like a beautiful person. My condolences to the family. RIP. Thanks for the great drumming and the influence.

• Members

So sad, but it's been coming for some time. He can finally jam with Lowell George again.

Richie is and always will be one of my main influences. I've had the pleasure of seeing him live many times and it's a shame to see such talent taken from the world. RIP, Richie.

• Members

Only go top see him twice. Once on the "reunion" Let it Roll tour with Craig Fuller in Providence RI. 2nd was in Pittsburgh PA with Shawn Murphy and I got a band signed copy of "Raw Tomatoes" there. I was about 30 feet in front of him but they put Paul's guitar stack right between Richie and my seat ;>( He has been my favorite drummer ever since I bought MY first Feat album "Feats don't fail me now" in 1974. It's pretty worn out, being vinyl and all. ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

This is so sad. He's had such a struggle with illness lately. What a great, innovative drummer, taking the New Orleans style to such a different level.

I got to see him with Little Feet along with the Neville Bros with Mean Willie Green in Santa Fe at an out door venue called Paolo Soleri Amphitheater. Got a good lesson that night!

Gonna miss 'ya Richie! RIP

Archived