Recording Session @ Electrical Audio with Steve Albini

Mikoo69

• Members

Hey HC Drummers,

I wanted to share pictures, info and music from my band's recording session @ Electrical Audio w/ Steve Albini. We spent 3 days with Steve cutting a 9 song record in July. The record was done live, with no overdubs except vocals.

Day one we tracked all guitar, bass and drums live.

Day two we tracked vocals and began mixing

Day three we finished vocals and mixed.

Day four, we spent half a day finishing the mixes.

The record is available for free download @ Grandfather - Why I'd Try (320kbps mp3)

or you can go to Grandfather on Bandcamp for FLAC, AAC, and other higher quality audio formats.

Session Photos are up on our facebook page, which have detailed pictures of mic placement: Grandfather on Facebook (Like/Friend/Share Us on Facebook to keep updated w/ shows, news, etc.)

Input List:

All mics through Neotek desk preamp except as noted

Drums (Kentucky)

Bass Drum Front: Beyer M380 -> 1176 Limiter Slow Release, 20:1

Bass Drum Batter: Shure SM98

Snare: Sony C37e -> NTI EQ

Rack Tom: Josephson E22s Top and Bottom

Floor Tom: Josephson E22s Top and Bottom

Overheads: Royer 122 (L&R) -> 1178 Limiter -> GML EQ + 678k + 3726k

M-S Stereo: AKG C24 M.S (0 + ?) -> Electrical M-S Matrix

Room Ambience: Neumann CMV563 + N55k Capsules (L&R) -> 20ms Stereo Delay

Rimshot: Shure SM98 -> GML Limiter

Bass Guitar (Alcatraz)

Low: Beyer M380 -> Urei LA12 Limiter

• Members

The tones, are really raw and natural, and perfect...

I will say though.. If you don't mind criticism from a nobody..

The vocals, really start to get, I don't know.. Very monotone, and boring..

Work on the vocals.. Give us more dynamics..

As a musician, I really dug it, but as other non musicians sat with me while it was playing, they did not dig it as much. They got bored, and they all said, it didn't grab their attention and keep their interest in it.. But they also all said it was very good musically, and the recording was very good..

Those are honest comments from regular folks hanging out, drinking a little beer, and playing pool and cards, and talking..

Don't know if that says anything or not.. Take it or leave it. Thought it might be interesting.. For the record, I really dig this album and will be keeping in on my playlist for a long time to come.. The drums, and room, sound really natural, and raw, but clean.. I like it a lot..

• Members

That's great, I am an Albini fan - I loved Big Black as a teen and his work producing the Pixies, PJ Harvey, Breeders, the Fleshtones, etc. --he even made those kids from Seattle listenable...sorta.

Congrats on the chance to work on an interesting record with a great producer - that's the real deal. hope it all goes well for you.

Archived