Rods and Brushes suggestions?

JMR

• Members

I want some rods, never bought a pair before and I want to experiment.

I want some durable brushes with a darker tone to them and a little more weight than typical brushes.

Suggestions?

Also, thinking about picking up some Vic Firth SD9s for my drumsticks. any reasons I shouldn't?

• Members

if you want rods that'll last, go with plastic. Though they'll fray a bit and develope a softer attack over time.

Which wires are you using now?

SD9's are good, wasn't too fond of the tip but I love the feel of great maple. When I was primarily playing punk, SD10 swingers were my go-to stick.

• Members

RegalTip Blaststicks: are stiffer than brushes, even the nylon ones and softer than sticks. Are like perfect for unplugged events where you still want to use ghost notes or ride the bell of a cymbal. Mine have the bands still on them so they are all together even at the end. Have had them over a year and while the are a little more flexible, they haven't really frayed much at all!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Regal-Tip-Blasticks-100317432-i1140674.gc

I have the ones with the wood handles. Got them as a gift, are well worth it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a pair of Regal Tip Clayton Camerons that I like a lot. Not retractable but nice bounce balance and weight, plus plastic grip end and steel tip for other sounds. The wires are starting, after some hundreds of hours of use, to get out of alignment but I think I can fix that by pulling off the rubber grip and re-squeezing the tip of the metal wire-holder; maybe I'll try that today.

Archived