Kit sounds great through P/A, but terrible on stage!!!

summit111

• Members

My Brothers,

Attended a political fundraiser last week, and the main entertainment was a regional heavy weight band. Recording artists, professional, big sound system, etc. The leader recognized several of our band members in the audience and invited us to play several songs with his horn section.

Through the P/A, the mic'd kit sounded great, but when I got on stage and sat behind the drums, they sounded terrible. All the heads were loose except the snare. The kick was almost sloppy loose. Played anyway, and the crowd loved it, especially our fans. Our sound man was there and he said it sounded fine.

This ain't the first time I sat in on someone else's kit sounding like this. Is this a trend of something? When I mic mine, they have to sound great un-mic'd first!

• Members

I have spoke of this before. Its just one of those things that blows my mind. I have a friend that plays professionally and sat in on his kit at a benifit once. I knew it sounded great out front. When I got to sit in, I couldn,t believe how terrible the snare sounded to me. Overtones/too much ring/ and a snare buzz that should drive anyone insane......................but none of that bled through to the front. Id think someone could write a book on this. Ive also spoken that even my own personal kits sound (better) to me wearing hearing protestion.....I just prefer to hear mostly the lows I guess. Its a weird animal for sure.

• Members

I have spoke of this before. Its just one of those things that blows my mind. I have a friend that plays professionally and sat in on his kit at a benifit once. I knew it sounded great out front. When I got to sit in, I couldn,t believe how terrible the snare sounded to me. Overtones/too much ring/ and a snare buzz that should drive anyone insane......................but none of that bled through to the front. Id think someone could write a book on this. Ive also spoken that even my own personal kits sound (better) to me wearing hearing protestion.....I just prefer to hear mostly the lows I guess. Its a weird animal for sure.

Ifeel the same way,the kit sounds better with headphones on.........I'd buy that book

• Members

Live sound isn't that different from recorded sound. Sometimes you do what you have to do for the sound you want. A nice, fully resonant tom or kick drum that pleases you when you're dinking around in your practice room might sound like {censored} mic'd up through 5000 watts of amp and loudspeakers. And just like with recordings, a snare that may seem too open or ringy when you're sitting right next to it usually sounds just right in a full mix with guitars and bass.

• Members

Yeah, I have my kick totally dead because it sounds so good through a mic.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but stranger things have happened. I personally don't like kicks without a front head, but live at a club through a sound system, it makes no difference.

• Members

The low/non tension is actually a staple for that big hard hitting rock sound. What happens is the crinkle gives plenty of attack definition and the super low note , reso heads, and shells take over. And no duct tape required. It's kind of an audio phenomenon but it works - even live acoustically.

• Members

The low/non tension is actually a staple for that big hard hitting rock sound. What happens is the crinkle gives plenty of attack definition and the super low note , reso heads, and shells take over. And no duct tape required. It's kind of an audio phenomenon but it works - even live acoustically.

Never thought I'd see the day when you'd start making sense :poke:

• Members

Yeah, I have my kick totally dead because it sounds so good through a mic.

totally agree........Playing my kit in my practice room....kick drum is almost wide open using only a emad tuner. sounds great there. I moved my kit to church recently for easter services and mic,ed it up the same way....and it sounded like a@@. So the only thing I had handy was my carhardt lined heavy jacket......threw that in there and everything was punchy and awesome...........which reminds me.. I need to get my jacket back out of there...

• Members

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but stranger things have happened. I personally don't like kicks without a front head, but live at a club through a sound system, it makes no difference.

For once I'm being serious. I would change out the stock heads for the nice new ones that I bought, but it sounds good miced. Live it sounds like nothing, which is why I got the heads in the first place, but now I'm scared.

• Members

totally agree........Playing my kit in my practice room....kick drum is almost wide open using only a emad tuner. sounds great there. I moved my kit to church recently for easter services and mic,ed it up the same way....and it sounded like a@@. So the only thing I had handy was my carhardt lined heavy jacket......threw that in there and everything was punchy and awesome...........which reminds me.. I need to get my jacket back out of there...

Glad I could help jog the ol' mammary.

Archived