What drum heads could help...

JMR

• Members

What do you have on them now?

On my Vistas, I use:

Coated Remo Ambassadors for tom batters/Clear Ambs on the bottoms

Evans Vented on the snares

Toms tuned for tone (higher) rather than attack

They sound more like natural material 'regular' drums than most wood kits I hear

• Members

you know I respect you carm, but that emperor x is the worst thing anyone can use. I suppose it has it's place for the no tone thud. It's the thickest head on the market, and sounds like it.

I'd try one of the evans hd dry's, Aquarian focus x, or maybe a head that's actually geared towards jazz like fiberskyns, modern vintages, or j1's.

• Members

you know I respect you carm, but that emperor x is the worst thing anyone can use.

The reasoning I had was because it's an acrylic drum and most IMO tend to be kinda tubelike boingy. I thought it might take the funnel sound out of it.

I LOVE the FocusX on my Pigpen!! I am about ready to try them on my toms to round them out a bit...chu tink?

• Members

"wood up" my acrylic? I want to make it just a little more jazz friendly, and currently it's too bright and has too much attack for that. Any suggestions?

Aquarian Response II coated on top and bottom will darken it but not kill them...

If you really want to kill the brightness, then maybe Performance II's, coated w/ dot top and bottom....lol

• Members

Coated Ambassadors are great on Vistalites. Of course, it lets less light come through and takes away from the kick ass look of them, but sound is probably more important, right?
:)

Maybe...sometimes?

• Members

Then why not clear?

So that they don't sound as plastic-y and 'boingy'.

Coated Ambs tame Vistalites very well. Has worked on my 2 kits, and 3 other kits of players I've tech'ed for/recommended them to.

• Members

I currently have Remo Vintage Emperors as batters and Clear Ambassadors as the reso heads on my 12" and 16" toms. The kick is sounding pretty good right now, so I'm going to keep what I've got on there. The snare is a ludwig acrolite, and it's just fine. The toms are almost there, but they just need a little more warmth and a little less brightness to be perfect.

Archived