Are Simmons drums good??, wife found an ad

twosticks

• Members

Howdy,

I came in from mowing the yard and wife had clipped out this ad from the local Bargin Bin paper (local paper where you list when you want to sell your freezer, kittens or pups, get yard work done, etc) It lists this:

DIGITAL DRUMS

Simmons 8-pad Drum Set

w/double pedal. Great Condition

50 pre-loaded kits. Great for recording

or silent practicing. Plays through headphones

or speakers. $400

I wanted to ask you guys first before I call. What should I ask about?, is this worth calling about? I am looking for maybe a way to practice late nights or not bother others, just at home mostly.

I have never dealt with E-drums before. I remember Simmons from the 80's with the hexagon pads and heard they were being remade again?? The number is another area code so it will be at a few hours drive to see.

ANY help would be great appreciated!!! Thanks!!

• Members

I had a number of older simmons drums from the 80's. If they are the real older ones, the pads feel like hitting a table top. The later ones feel a little better but not as good as the yamaha gum rubber ones. The new ones I heard break down alot. They are not great sellers by any means. You really need to get more info on the model. SD7s go for a little over 500.00 new. Call him and find out what they are first...Simmons was big at one time especially in the 80's, but they never really kept up like Roland and Yamaha...

• Members

twosticks...I have had some experience with the old ones and new. The old hex pads never felt that good, but the triggers were a good design for the times. The old kit I used...was powered by an alesis module and the sounds were decent. You need to know that the simmons name was sold just a few years back and is designed and marketed by a different company these days. Simmons was well respected in its day. The new simmons kit I played....i think it was an sd7???? in my opinion should be marketed towards kids learning. The module was "ok" at best and I remember the triggers and pads being aweful. I remember I could never do anything on the high hats just basic stuff or the triggers never picked it up. The rack is a little flimsy too. again..just my personal experience and opinion.

• Members

Pass. There are a bunch of used Yamaha DTX kits out there in the $300-400 range that would be much better.

This, and if not, then as said before: at the very least, you need the model name to be able to tell if it's of any value:

Imagine reading "Ludwig" instead of Simmons in the ad: is that a Classic kit, or a Rocker?

Regarding the original kits/value:

Yes, they felt like hitting a table. If you are familiar with electronic pads of the last 20 years, the original Simmons pads felt NOTHING like them. Thin layer of rubber over wood, and while they are relatively quiet, you will hear someone playing them in the next room most likely.

BUT...

They did put out a quality product for their time.

I bought a used SDS9 kit in '88; first eDrums that were MIDI capable, you could blow your own eProms and swap out snare sounds, etc. WAY ahead of the curve for eDrums

• Members

I bought a used SDS9 kit in '88; first eDrums that were MIDI capable, you could blow your own eProms and swap out snare sounds, etc. WAY ahead of the curve for eDrums

Yep...has 3 of those with an eprom burner...those were SDS1s, had a full set of SDS9s...and even a SynDrum and a Synare...we were all breaking ground and wind at the same time...:facepalm:

• Members

Thanks everybody!

I remember seeing them in the 80's, Phil Colins and all the guys used them back then. Plus I had also heard about the newer ones. Like LFG said, if I can get a used Yamaha for roughly the same price? I rather do that. So do the Simmons countertop type pads also make a bunch of "clickity-clack" noise from the sticks like playing on real coutertop as well? THANKS

Countertop feel?, triggers, rack and hats don't work too well?, can get much better for maybe better price? I think I'll pass.

Archived