New chapter, not sure what to expect.

ckcondon

• Members

So after a ten year run of gigging, I've decided to step away from my current band at the end of the year. After Dec I will be a free agent.

I've spent a good bit of this time being a bandleader/booking agent/webmaster/soundman/lighting tech and trailer owner. I found out a long time ago that if you handle that stuff yourself, you won't get blindsided by other people dropping the ball.

Last year my band joined up with a new frontman who was definitely more into the bandleader role. I was happy to step away from those duties.

Unfortunately, he accepts way more gigs than I can play. I travel for work, so can realistically only give one weekend per month to the band. The sad part is that many of the gigs he books, I'm out of town. I've essentially become the backup guy. The lineup changes for almost every show and it's just not fun anymore. The singer has a guy who has filed in for me that is willing to become a full member and the time is right to make the change.

I'm also thinking pretty seriously of selling off all my PA/lighting gear and scaling down all the other crap I own.

If I get into another band, I really don't want to do anything but play drums. At 43, I feel like my opportunities to be in a cool/fun band may be running out. It seems like all the good players want to play all the time and the part-timers don't really put in the effort and just want to drink and jam.

I guess I'm just worried that once I get out of the scene, I may not find another band that can reach the level I'm at now. The idea of not playing cool shows freaks me out. I really don't want to become "That old dude playing classic rock in a sports bar"!

It's really tough to be "Type A" and just let go and hope something else comes along!

Not really looking for advice, just sharing with my fellow drummers...

• Members

I think if you step away with a good reputation, then finding work in the future should be no problem at all...assuming you can also still play at a high level when you come "back" from your hiatus. If your reputation is being a jackass, and the only reason you are in a band is because you do everything/own everything/book everything, then yeah, you might have trouble finding guys that want to make music with you.

Besides, you won't last long sitting around not playing drums. It's in our blood man. With that said, a little break can be good for your soul. When you do come back, you are ready to go and come back stronger.

• Members

I think my rep is pretty solid. I'm still friends with just about everyone I've shared the stage with, and I'm cool with all the bar managers I used to book with.

I definitely plan to stay sharp and work on my skills. I'd even like to find a good teach to work with to expand my chops and vocabulary. Hell, maybe even take some vocal lessons so I can harmonize better in my "next" band...

• Members

Change is hard, but can be good as well. As with anything in life that is good, we want it to last.

You have your reasons for the move, and we'll not need to know all of them (life changes, philosophical changes, changes in your personal life, or maybe you are just bored with the same ole')

Never-the-less, embrace the change! Move forward with excitement.

I truly find that when I take a sabbatical from playing, ... that my chops actually improve (well, maybe my mental curve improves).

D

• Members

dendy's right. don't look at this as being a negative. it might take some time to find the right gig. and you might have to piece it together one member at a time. but, when you get there, it'll be worth the trouble. my last gig was one gig a month, one practice a week. it worked fine for us, for about five years, or so. you sound like you have enough contacts to put something together.

Archived