First kit for me - Pearl export vs tama rockstar vs mapex equivalent?

waldojeffers

• Members

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at getting my first kit and have done some reading and some wondering in stores this past week and have come across these three above models as common favourites (not sure about the mapex model, could it be named please?). I'd like to drum to coldplay type stuff and mostly shoegaze, but to make it a mixed bag also hardcore/metalcore. Then I am wondering about symbols, which symbols could be considered on par with the kit?

Many thanks

• Members

Ok thanks so if it were Mapex Meridians vs Pearl export vs tama rockstar, the mapex meridian would take the cake?

Knew I should have googled cymbal! It didn't feel right, but i didn't wanna wait for my works slow internet, it take 30 seconds to load a page!

IMO yes. And you really can't even get new Exports nows...Vision Series. I've played the meridians and really dig them. I also own a set of Exports and IMO, the meridians sound better...fuller...the birch or the maple.. My main kit is alo a PDP CX....I do like them the best out of the group mentioned!

• Members
IMO yes. And you really can't even get new Exports nows...Vision Series. I've played the meridians and really dig them. I also own a set of Exports and IMO, the meridians sound better...fuller...the birch or the maple.. My main kit is alo a PDP CX....I do like them the best out of the group mentioned![/QU

I love the Meridian Maples. Carm is right. Full sound, bright, yet deep. They are a good buy.

• Members

I'll be the first to say it: Check out used kits. You'll get a lot more for your money. New kits are usually sold as a shell pack (drums only) or with some hardware. With used you can oftentimes get the drums with cymbals and hardware included. Be on the lookout for Gretsch Catalinas, Pearl Exports, Yamaha Stage Customs, and Tama Rockstars. I'm not real familiar with the PDP's or the Mapexes. I'll defer to the others.

If you're going to buy new, I suggest taking a look at the new Yamaha Stage Customs. They are 100% birch and they sound and look beautiful. I got a set about two months ago and I couldn't be happier. They cost about the same as the Pearl Visions, the Tama Silverstars, and the Gretsch Catalina Birch.

• Members

I have Mapex. I have no reason to look at any other brand.

Mapex Pro-M for my gig kit

Mapex Saturn for my home/practice kit.

My gig kit gets ignored short of head changes when it's IMO well overdue...sits in my garage packed up and ready to roll...be it 0F or 100F outside, 10% humidity or 100% humidity. My hardware stinks of bar smoke...even opening my HW case will stink up my garage for 3 days straight...

My home/practice kit gets used 1-3x a week for practice with the band. It also gets neglected...only changing heads when they are way over due. Broke a snare head last practice because it was so worn out, it finally let go...I still haven't changed it, even though it takes me 5 minutes to change out a batter head.

• Members

Thanks guys, I have been looking like crazy all week to find a used mapex meridian, tama rockstar or maybe pearl export. I am wondering what a mapex M series is? Is that the meridian or? Reason being I have found a kit that is for sale and of all places, it's just around the corner from me. http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-musical-instruments-percussion-drums-MAPEX-M-SERIES-DRUMKIT-FULL-SET-UP-WITH-NEW-CYMBALS-W0QQAdIdZ335391061

• Members

The M series were one of the lines that Mapex made, which pre-date the Pro-M line. The Pro-M line later became the Meridian series. I know that the Pro-M series came with either birch or maple shells. I think the M series had a mixed shell, if I remember correctly. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but Mapex makes some good stuff in their mid to high end lines, with the M series being a mid-line drum kit.

• Members

To be perfectly honest, of the brands you mention, it really doesn't make a difference, especially as a first kit. All are pretty good. What's going to matter more in how the drums are sounding are the heads and tuning. In the end, all drums are wood tubes with plastic stretched over each end. Buy used...do not buy a new kit. It isn't rocket science. If you aren't a pro that is touring all over in a truck, then go with what you can afford. Spend more on the cymbals than you do the drums. Just my opinion after countless drumsets over the last 25 years.

• Members

The M series were one of the lines that Mapex made, which pre-date the Pro-M line. The Pro-M line later became the Meridian series. I know that the Pro-M series came with either birch or maple shells. I think the M series had a mixed shell, if I remember correctly. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but Mapex makes some good stuff in their mid to high end lines, with the M series being a mid-line drum kit.

Pro-M = Maple

M-Birch = Birch

Both merged into the meridian series.

• Members

To be perfectly honest, of the brands you mention, it really doesn't make a difference, especially as a first kit. All are pretty good. What's going to matter more in how the drums are sounding are the heads and tuning. In the end, all drums are wood tubes with plastic stretched over each end. Buy used...do not buy a new kit. It isn't rocket science. If you aren't a pro that is touring all over in a truck, then go with what you can afford. Spend more on the cymbals than you do the drums. Just my opinion after countless drumsets over the last 25 years.

Spend at least twice as much on cymbals as you do drums, and don't buy a LOT of cymbals...with cymbals you need QUALITY over quantity.

Sabian AA

Zildjian A

Paiste Alpha

Those are roughly comparable.

• Members

Spend at least twice as much on cymbals as you do drums, and don't buy a LOT of cymbals...with cymbals you need QUALITY over quantity.

Sabian AA

Zildjian A

Paiste Alpha

Those are roughly comparable.

I would disagree; the Zildjian and Sabian lines you note are higher quality than the entry-level Alphas.

• Members

I'd also toss a hat into the Yamaha Stage Custom ring... I've been playing a great sounding Stage Custom since 2005 and they still get compliments and have held up tremendously to a LOT of gigs and recording sessions.

Agreed on the "put your money in cymbals," too. Get good hats, a good ride, and 1-2 good crashes first and learn your mechanics of the drum set.

But yes, all kits mentioned will sound good if tuned well with good heads.

• Members

I would disagree; the Zildjian and Sabian lines you note are higher quality than the entry-level Alphas.

This is a valid opinion, too - most Paistes are really nice, but the full line Sabian and Zildjians are better for less money. Might I recommend one of the Sabian start up packs?

• Members

Hardly. I've had AA's and A's, and Alphas are right in the pocket. 2002's are the next line up with Paiste, and those are more like the AAX's and A-Customs.

We'll have to disagree...hardly is not the right answer.

You want to talk bottom of the barrel, then sure, for Paiste you can look to either PST series or the Brass line, but those are all basically toys/junk. Alphas are a mid-entry line at best.

Maybe you personally think they sound better than that, and I'd say that's a function of the overall Paiste 'character', but in terms of quality of materials/manufacture, they are a 'lesser' cymbal than A's or AA's, period.

There isn't a materials/manufacturing quality difference between Zildjian A and A Custom cymbals or Sabian AA/AAX: for Zildjian, A, A Custom, as well as K/K cast bronze cymbals. Their comparable to Alpha offer are ZBT/ZXT/ZHT (Sheet bronze).

Basically similar for Sabian: AA, AAX, HH, HHX are all better quality than the entry level B8 and misleadingly named B8Pro (Again, the comparable offer to Alphas).

• Members

It's really interesting to hear the different opinions about these kits; because there are so many quality sets out there. I would go with Mapex. But, solid maple kits are getting cheaper and cheaper. Just a thought. I mean if you get the Pearl that's cool to.

Archived