13/14

1001gear

• Members

Maybe because they can? What would you prefer they play?

I actually enjoyed that much better than most of the crap you hear now on the radio.

good questions. I'm off radio now so I can't compare. hm. the smoothy polish of a lot of the fusion stuff I hear seems to me maybe a substitute for emotion or creativity. that's my opinion, I understand yours probably differs.

I guess I'd rather hear something built around vocals. fortunately there's plenty of that around.

• Members

One time back at school I was in the rehearsal room fooling around with some chords and this cat makes a snide comment I'll never forget - " Bop to da chayenge." That's all he said. The dawning that that's all I was doing was intimidating but all too true. Right there the world itself had been ever so slightly bopped and changed forever. Jazz is like that though. There's a lotta tension created with the 'Phat" (a term from the Gospel guys) changes and those tensions make possible new licks with otherwise "wrong" notes. Ambiguous yet so 'right' There's a lotta vibe to fusion if it's witty enough.

I don't think that bit ^^^ is any kind of milestone but I dig the little moments, love the guitar solo (junkie) and that girl is surreally good. :cry: lol

• Members

Good drummer for her age. The guitar player played the wrong way. I liked the bass player a lot.

To be honest, I am turned off by these kid prodigies for some reason. I don't know how to explain it, but you can tell when a more mature player has that "something" special and is honest. I guess I view the child as not being emotionally attached to what they are doing....and it's not their fault really, they just haven't been exposed to the world yet. I can appreciate the young energy...I think that is something us adults forget when we are performing, that young enthusiasm....that "go for it no matter what" spirit. But these clips...and ones just like them, leave me empty. Maybe it was the music they were playing....these kids shouldn't be playing this kind of stuff. I almost rather have them play bubble gum rock. I mean come on, what kid really loves this kind of music really??

Please don't get me wrong, these kids can play, and maybe they actually mature into sensitive, deep players later in life.

• Members

Maybe because they can? What would you prefer they play?

I actually enjoyed that much better than most of the crap you hear now on the radio.

Agree. {censored} was tight.

Granted the synth stuff was a little "throwback" lol. but whatever. And that drummer is pretty rad.

• Members

Good drummer for her age. The guitar player played the wrong way. I liked the bass player a lot.

To be honest, I am turned off by these kid prodigies for some reason. I don't know how to explain it, but you can tell when a more mature player has that "something" special and is honest. I guess I view the child as not being emotionally attached to what they are doing....and it's not their fault really, they just haven't been exposed to the world yet. I can appreciate the young energy...I think that is something us adults forget when we are performing, that young enthusiasm....that "go for it no matter what" spirit. But these clips...and ones just like them, leave me empty. Maybe it was the music they were playing....these kids
shouldn't
be playing this kind of stuff. I almost rather have them play bubble gum rock. I mean come on, what kid really loves this kind of music really??

Please don't get me wrong, these kids can play, and maybe they actually mature into sensitive, deep players later in life.

So are you saying that a child prodigy's enthusiasm has less gravity than an adult's experience as expressed through music? I kind of don't agree with you. Two sides of the same coin.

I mean, by your logic that sense of enthusiasm to play, however contrived, at some point gets filtered through life experiences...fluid transition from a former way of expressing yourself (unattached emotionally, yet enthused) to another (depreciation of enthusiasm transferred into emotional attachment). I hope I'm making sense.

I honestly believe that she is as fully involved emotionally as she can be given her emotional maturity is about the same as her mental/physical maturity.

• Members

So are you saying that a child prodigy's enthusiasm has less gravity than an adult's experience as expressed through music? I kind of don't agree with you. Two sides of the same coin.

I mean, by your logic that sense of enthusiasm to play, however contrived, at some point gets filtered through life experiences...fluid transition from a former way of expressing yourself (unattached emotionally, yet enthused) to another (depreciation of enthusiasm transferred into emotional attachment). I hope I'm making sense.

I honestly believe that she is as fully involved emotionally as she can be given her emotional maturity is about the same as her mental/physical maturity.

No, I think you are making sense.

I guess I view young peoples energy and enthusiasm as more "organic" and/or pure. I remember watching a band where all the kids were about 18 years old, and even tho they weren't playing very well, the energy was infectious. I like that energy. But these "gifted" kids - without sounding religious, the music in them comes from somewhere else...they are "gifted". It's hard to fathom where that music came from...how could play like that at SUCH a young age? To me, it was "given" to them...and I guess thats why it leaves me cold when I hear some of these kids.

Based on my opinion that these kids were given a gift, I would say I disagree with your last paragraph - their skill level (or in my opinion - their "gift" level) is a lot higher than their emotional maturity.

And so you know, I realize there are a lot of different levels between "gifted" and "real-world people who have to practice and develop for years before they get to a high level of playing"....

• Members

Yeah the skill level is higher than the emotional maturity. But that wasn't the point I meant to raise in asking you. What I was getting at was your comment on how you get turned off by "gifted" children because you think that they tend to divorce their feelings from their playing. I tend to think that it's the opposite. They don't have the emotional bank to draw from because they are children. They do have the raw emotion of joy to draw from however because they tend to be doing what they consider is the most fun they've ever have or will have. That has weight with me. In my experience, and it is limited as I've not seen every child prodigy to come along in my lifetime, the ones who are cold and emotionless tend to be those who have adults with some kind of ulterior motive pushing them to be great or competent in their abilities above all others at the expense of the prodigy's childhood. *inhales*

Butdatsjusmetho :idk:

• Members

I enjoyed listening to that. She plays well. I know the thread is about her 13/14 age, but that's all superfluous to me. Skill level doesn't always have to do with age or time on the set. I remember Buddy Rich many years ago saying there are only two kinds of drummers, good drummers and bad drummers. I mistakenly took that to heart, and it took me years to realize it can take many years to go from one to the other for some, and much quicker for others.

• Members

Yeah the skill level is higher than the emotional maturity. But that wasn't the point I meant to raise in asking you. What I was getting at was your comment on how you get turned off by "gifted" children because you think that they tend to divorce their feelings from their playing. I tend to think that it's the opposite. They don't have the emotional bank to draw from because they are children. They do have the raw emotion of joy to draw from however because they tend to be doing what they consider is the most fun they've ever have or will have. That has weight with me. In my experience, and it is limited as I've not seen every child prodigy to come along in my lifetime, the ones who are cold and emotionless tend to be those who have adults with some kind of ulterior motive pushing them to be great or competent in their abilities above all others at the expense of the prodigy's childhood. *inhales*

Butdatsjusmetho
:idk:

I really don't have a counter-comment on what you said. I especially agree to the last couple of sentences.

I certainly look and listen to these kids and say to myself "wow, that's unbelievable - amazing!" A lot of times I may look with a bit of envy and wish I could be at masterful level - these kids have "it" and didn't have to spend 30 years of blood sweat and tears to achieve it. So in essence, I can appreciate the skill. I also believe that I can observe and learn a thing or two for these kids. I am a huge fan of Tony Royster Jr.

But in my heart of hearts, I always appreciated the time a player puts in, the hard work and practice....and the results. I watch the kids and for some reason I am just like "meh.." not in a condensending way...it just doesn't grab me.

In the Buddy Rich arguement, yes he started as a prodigy...but made a career out of his gift. He put in the time, playing in a ton of groups, leading his own groups and now he is arguably one of the best drummers of all time. So in the spirit of being positive, I hope these kids take what was given to them, and make something even greater...come into their own.

• Members

I really don't have a counter-comment on what you said. I especially agree to the last couple of sentences.

I certainly look and listen to these kids and say to myself "wow, that's unbelievable - amazing!" A lot of times I may look with a bit of envy and wish I could be at masterful level - these kids have "it" and didn't have to spend 30 years of blood sweat and tears to achieve it. So in essence, I can appreciate the skill. I also believe that I can observe and learn a thing or two for these kids. I am a huge fan of Tony Royster Jr.

But in my heart of hearts, I always appreciated the time a player puts in, the hard work and practice....and the results. I watch the kids and for some reason I am just like "meh.." not in a condensending way...it just doesn't grab me.

In the Buddy Rich arguement, yes he started as a prodigy...but made a career out of his gift. He put in the time, playing in a ton of groups, leading his own groups and now he is arguably one of the best drummers of all time. So in the spirit of being positive, I hope these kids take what was given to them, and make something even greater...come into their own.

It's cool, mang. I never took it as you being negative. Was more curious as to why you thought that way about those gifted lil bastids.

FYI: I'm a big TRJ fan from when Dennis Chambers and him did their first vid together. I always get amped when I see our babies being able to tap into that part of themselves waaaay earlier than us old heads. That {censored} is inspirational. Just reminds me how nothing that we do is impossible regardless of the limits folks want to impose on us.

Archived