Recording equipment

Mukund

• Members

Can you guys please help?

Ok so currently i have 7 mics,and some mic cables

so whatelse do i need?

a mixer or an interface?

and i mostly want it to be a usb compatible

and can a 16 channel mixer support 7 mics?

sorry if i sound dumb here

• Members

There are a bajillion answers to your very broad and vague questions, but I'll do what I can...

Based on your post, it appears you want to record to a computer (thus, need to be USB compatible).

If that's the case, you need...

As many mics as you want to have live channels recording at one time...if you want to record a kit using 7 mics, you need 7 mics. If you want to mic a guitar amp and vocals, you might only need 2, etc.

As many mic cables as the answer to the above.

Some sort of mixer of analog to digital (a/d) interface. Impossible to be more specific here...there are so many options. You may as well ask "I want a car. What can I get?"

A 16 channel mixer CAN support 7 mic inputs...SOMETIMES.

Some mixers boost the number of channels they advertise having by counting 1/4 stereo-in channels as (2) channels, etc.

Without going into too much detail, you likely want a mixer or interface that will accomodate AT LEAST 7 (most likely 8) XLR inputs/channels.

This is AN example, but by no means the only one, or necessarily even the right one for your situation...

http://www.alesis.com/multimix16usb20

But like I said, LOTS more options.

And then don't forget (still assuming you're looking to record on a computer) you need some sort of software that will accomdate your hardware: Logic, Nuendo, ProTools, Cubase (the mixer above comes with a basic version of Cubase), etc.

• Members

You like maybe read up a little bit? Goog the name? lol

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/RX1602.aspx

Has one - (1) that would be a single as in lone by itself with no duplication or redundancy; mic pre.

Also a shot of the input panel shows zero XLR ins. Phantom power would be out of the question.

If you require the latter, keep looking. If not it'll combine 16 line sources from the looks of it.

• Members

then how should i come to know if a mixer supports 8 mics?

You spend some time researching.

Clearly you have access to the internet.

Go to manufacturer sites, look at the specs of various options.

Presto, you're now educated.

Come on; asking for a bit of help is one thing.

Not doing a thing on your own is another.

• Members

Most detailed and best answer

thanks a lot man

can you tell me if this is a good mixer-

and i know its quite cheap but still for time being i can manage with it

BTW, in general, Behringer products are a crap-shoot, and I recommend avoiding them.

There are some that will get you by, and some that will fall apart/fail quickly.

The company's products don't generally have a very good reputation.

And that mixer in particular does not accept any XLR inputs, as can clearly be seen by the photos. You COULD purchase lo/hi-z adaptors and make it work if you really wanted, however, it also does not have any USB outs, so it's not even close to what you were asking about.

• Members

thanks

now i am clear with all of this

ok not really but i have got some view about it

ok so anyone can suggest some good mixers or interfaces

below 200$

mostly 150-160 range

i know thats cheap but still currently thats my budget

• Members

thanks

now i am clear with all of this

ok not really but i have got some view about it

ok so anyone can suggest some good mixers or interfaces

below 200$

mostly 150-160 range

i know thats cheap but still currently thats my budget

YOu want at least 7 XLR inputs and USB output and your budget is under $200, preferably closer to $150 (USD)?

Guess again.

Anything you want that has those features is going to cost more, especially if you want something 'good'.

• Members

YOu want at least 7 XLR inputs and USB output and your budget is under $200, preferably closer to $150 (USD)?

Guess again.

Anything you want that has those features is going to cost more, especially if you want something 'good'.

yeah

i thought i would get a decent one for a cheap price but nope

anyway

thanks for helping

• Members

Kmart and gonzo are stearing you right. I don't know Kmarts exact live sound experience but I would imagine its decent. I do know that Gonzo has spent the last almost 40 years in music and specifically the last 5 years investing countless hours a day to learning about live sound and everything that goes with it.

• Members

yeah

i thought i would get a decent one for a cheap price but nope

This makes zero sense to me.

Why do people think they can get something decent for cheap?

Cheap gets...cheap.

For 'decent', you must pay decent money.

For what you're looking for, I'd guesstimate a minimum budget of ~$300 or better as a ballpark.

• Members

Why buy cheap now and have to spend even more to replace it later? How about just saving up for longer and buying what's right so you dont have to buy again for a long time? I know right now you want to record yourself but, of you stop and really think about it, are you at the level where you absolutely have to? If you're doing it to watch yourself and learn from your mistakes then at this stage you only need a camera which you have. Don't unnecessarily blow money.

• Members

You might look into Carvin products also. They make decent gear at attractive prices, because they are the manufacturer and sell direct to the public. No middle man mark up.

I've owned some Carvin gear for the past 15 years and it's functioned and held up just as well as it's over priced competitors, for essentially the same products.

• Members

Also many options to consider in recording.One band I was in used a presonus interface along with computer software.Some of these unit can be piggy backed tio bring the number of live recorded channels to 16.

My band uses a Presonus firestudio project along w/Logic, we only have one, but they say you can daisychain up to 3 i think? they work very nicely and I got ours on B-stock so it was cheaper :)

Archived