Strange or abnormal hihats or percussion...

cdawg

• Members

ok , i've hi-hat mounted everything from a couple of splashes to 20" rides. i currently play 16" crashes.

first question: has anyone ever mounted two chinas as hats? results?

second question: what else have you run across that gave you unique sounds? pipe? saw blades?

give it up...

• Members

I've used a spoxie ( two roto tom rims) in my "big" set up for a long time. When open the rims are very chimey, and have different tones. When closed, extremely metallic and very loud! Thought about changing out the rims from a 14 to the rims for a 10 to drop the volume some, never tried it. I experimented with a 12" china top and bottom, garbage to be honest, and a 12 china bottom with a 12 zildjian top, bleah. I also have tried 2 10inch splashes, which I really liked, but unrealistic as a main hat. If I had more pedals that is a direction I would go, except with 8s.

• Members

Demas again.

fqOdPVsE-H0

Cymbal tree that occurs naturally along the Siberian border. This valuable shrub is under state protection by the Siberian Fughetti. Abnominal snowmen with extraordinary mind control skills. This rare mutation has sprouted a second hats (the Indonesian term) branch. It is not known how Demas came into possession of this priceless artifact.

• Members

I didn't care for the two chinas, but I did use a 12" china on the bottom and a thin

14" crash on the top once, and got this neat "white noise" kind of sound. I'd play with it on the right recording session if I got the chance.

I've used two 18" crashes before for a recording session - they sounded like Fitch's Right Hand of Doom during these huge power riffs.

• Members

ok, i'm thinkin' of pickin' up a wuhan 16" and a 16" crash on top. i have a couple of those.

1k, cool vid. i like that china combo he's usin'.

so, aside from chinas, what else has good musical/trash value? i know jim uses a saw blade, or two.

• Members

I own a set of Jenco Orchestra chimes, retail value well over $5000. Lowes has inch and a half fence post in 8 foot sections for 7 bucks. When cut to the same length, the sound is identical. Now imagine cutting shorter ones, mounting them muted by rope going through them,,I know hard to picture..

There is a metal recycling place near here.

They sell sheet bronze by the pound. What more can I say?

Archived